Brandon Hyde on Hotstove tonight 6-7 PM

weams

7 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Anticipated questions:

• Coaches, yes or no?
  • How many players will you have on the team, 25?
  • Will the team play to win?
  • Have you tried the water? (optional)

Will the team play to win? I don't have the nerve to ask that man questions. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

If the drinking game word is "process," then a lot of people there in person will need a designated driver.

We WILL be process oriented...

I get friggin' goosebumps every time I hear that. And I think to myself...

Yes, Nerd Army... bring us our World Series Trophy...

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think that’s absolutely right.    

It's a sore spot with me. I hear the radio and read on here about how awesome it is that the O's have this smart front office. I completely agree, but Mike and Sig still have to excel at everything Hank Peters had to do in 1983 in addition to the data side. I do analytics for a living in a different field. The problem with using data is the propensity for people to misuse, misinterpret or flat out miss subtle but very important data. Those who think we have a wiz-bang front office who will program our way to the best team ever are sorely mistaken. The data is incredibly important, but it has to be put into the hands of real baseball people who can use the data to improve their coaching. Hopefully that is exactly what Mike Elias is putting into place. 

Put another way, a bad coach from 1980 would still be a bad coach in 2018 with the best data in the world. That guy likely doesn't communicate well with people or doesn't have an eye and a feel for the player or the game. Data didn't replace the old way of doing things. If used right, it just makes it smarter.

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

It's a sore spot with me. I hear the radio and read on here about how awesome it is that the O's have this smart front office. I completely agree, but Mike and Sig still have to excel at everything Hank Peters had to do in 1983 in addition to the data side. I do analytics for a living in a different field. The problem with using data is the propensity for people to misuse, misinterpret or flat out miss subtle but very important data. Those who think we have a wiz-bang front office who will program our way to the best team ever are sorely mistaken. The data is incredibly important, but it has to be put into the hands of real baseball people who can use the data to improve their coaching. Hopefully that is exactly what Mike Elias is putting into place. 

Put another way, a bad coach from 1980 would still be a bad coach in 2018 with the best data in the world. That guy likely doesn't communicate well with people or doesn't have an eye and a feel for the player or the game. Data didn't replace the old way of doing things. If used right, it just makes it smarter.

Absolutely true.   I take great comfort from the fact that Mike Elias was a line scout for several years, and that Sig Mejdal spent a year in a minor league dugout looking at how to communicate and teach the lessons from the data.    I don’t think either of them thinks you just spit numbers into a computer and presto all the players are suddenly better.    

I do think that analytics are used for a lot more than coaching up the players.   They’re used in evaluating players, determining the relative value of various skill sets, projecting how a young player may do in the future or how an older player might age, and lots of other aspects of running a team.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Absolutely true.   I take great comfort from the fact that Mike Elias was a line scout for several years, and that Sig Mejdal spent a year in a minor league dugout looking at how to communicate and teach the lessons from the data.    I don’t think either of them thinks you just spit numbers into a computer and presto all the players are suddenly better.    

I do think that analytics are used for a lot more than coaching up the players.   They’re used in evaluating players, determining the relative value of various skill sets, projecting how a young player may do in the future or how an older player might age, and lots of other aspects of running a team.    

I definitely agree with all of that, with one caveat. A scout needs to use the data correctly just like a coach does. Data used correctly can help us find hidden gems and avoid future high risk profiles. Data used incorrectly can lead us away from otherwise good prospects, miscalculate risk or be obscure enough to miss out on hidden gems. This is why Elias' hires are so important. They need to be people who really understand what the data can/cannot say and what the data does/does not say all in the context of understanding that old school scouting and profiling still carries a ton of value. 

Less important I know, but I hope that the fans, commentators and message board experts pick up on the distinction. 

Hyde stresses that despite his experience in player development and bringing players along through the system, that's not his job in Baltimore and he won't be involved in the minor league system or MiLB player development. 

Thanks to @JustD for pointing this out to me. She has heard him reference this twice now.

Archived