Brandon Hyde on Hotstove tonight 6-7 PM

weams

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, atomic said:

If Roger McDowell is the pitching coach next year I have zero confidence in Hyde.  

Yeah, I’d be shocked if that happened.    I think Dickerson and Kirby are the only two that might get some serious consideration.   Emphasis on “might.”

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I’d be shocked if that happened.    I think Dickerson and Kirby are the only two that might get some serious consideration.   Emphasis on “might.”

I wouldn't have any issue with either or them coming back as the players seemed to like them and they players said they helped them improve their defensive play over the years.  

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

I wouldn't have any issue with either or them coming back as the players seemed to like them and they players said they helped them improve their defensive play over the years.  

Meanwhile, the defensive performance of the team got steadily worse after 2014.   But a lot of that is a function of certain players getting older and bringing in bad defensive players.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Meanwhile, the defensive performance of the team got steadily worse after 2014.   But a lot of that is a function of certain players getting older and bringing in bad defensive players.

Replacing Hardy with Beckham is going to do that.  Or playing Mancini in the outfield.  Anyway I think there is a place for Kirby.  A guy all the players seem to love.  I mean we kept Elrod Hendricks through many managerial changes.  But it is Hyde's choice.  I just want a new pitching coach. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Coaches make very little difference on a competitive team. 

I think some do, at least for certain players.    Nick Markakis probably doesn’t need a lot of coaching; Trey Mancini does.   Lots of young pitchers do.    

4 minutes ago, weams said:

Coaches make very little difference on a competitive team. 

True, but I think that's even a stronger argument for dumping McDowell. The Orioles' won't be a competitive team and need to really turn things around in terms of developing their young pitchers. I don't think McDowell is the man for the job. 

23 minutes ago, atomic said:

I disagree with regards to pitching coaches.  They make a significant difference.  Jake Arrieta is a good example of this. 

Or it could have been that he finally did what everyone told him to do. Always. Forever. Drop the Mike Mussina six pitches junk.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

That's a big improvement in your opinion of them from 2 days ago, when you said there was zero reason to consider them.  Glad to see that you now acknowledge that they do have qualifications.

Two pitching coaches I would like to see Hyde consider.   Jim Hickey and Chris Bosio.   Both probably expensive but pitching coach is a place I would spend to develop the O's young pitchers.  Both coaches  worked with he Cubs while Hyde was there.

Gary Jones who worked with the Cubs as 3rd  base coach may be someone to consider.  He is now a AAA manager for the Phillies.  He may also be considered for  bench coach.

Archived