Brandon Hyde on Hotstove tonight 6-7 PM

weams

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Two pitching coaches I would like to see Hyde consider.   Jim Hickey and Chris Bosio.   Both probably expensive but pitching coach is a place I would spend to develop the O's young pitchers.  Both coaches  worked with he Cubs while Hyde was there.

Gary Jones who worked with the Cubs as 3rd  base coach may be someone to consider.  He is now a AAA manager for the Phillies.  He may also be considered for  bench coach.

Bosio's firing last year doesn't give you red flags?

Having worked with Hyde in the past could potentially give someone a leg up in this, but it could also potentially eliminate someone, depending on what Hyde knows or thinks about him.  I'm more concerned with a guy's knowledge, philosophy, and communication skills than whether he's worked with Hyde before.  If a guy that Hyde has worked with checks all the boxes and is available, then great.

2 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Bosio's firing last year doesn't give you red flags?

He was let go for calling a white player a name according to a clubhouse attendant according what I read.  The player said he never heard it.   There was something else going on there  but I have not read  what it was.

Guys kiddingly call guys names all the time.  The player did not lodge a complaint. Go figure.

If someone has heard something different please post it.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He was let go for calling a white player a name according to a clubhouse attendant according what I read.  The player said he never heard it.   There was something else going on there  but I have not read  what it was.

Guys kiddingly call guys names all the time.  The player did not lodge a complaint. Go figure.

If someone has heard something different please post it.

He used the term spider monkey and tried to say it was the nickname of a white player.

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He used the term spider monkey and tried to say it was the nickname of a white player.

That is what the articles says.   He says he was describing how the white player looked when working out.  Here is one of the articles.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/06/28/chris-bosio-fired-tigers-pitching-coach/742383002/

There has to be more to it than this.

Bosio has been a highly respect pitching coach for many years.   

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That is what the articles says.   He says he was describing how the white player looked when working out.  Here is one of the article.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/06/28/chris-bosio-fired-tigers-pitching-coach/742383002/

There has to be more to it than this.

Bosio has been a highly respect pitching coach for many years.   

Sounds like a he said versus they said situation. Tough to say who's telling the truth. 

14 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If that's the case then I do as well. Where there's smoke there's usually fire. 

After reading more, sounds like Bosio had some comment problems when he was with the Cubs.  Not racial but  not PC either.

That is probably a problem the O's don't need. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

That’s certainly not his version of events.   

Nope. Nor would you expect it to be. But it might be factual. Of course since his velocity has been dropping, I've seen the metrics say to pull him before the third time through the lineup. Not a Cyguy any longer. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The white player stated that spider monkey was not and never had been his nickname.

i believe the attendant.

Apparently, the team did.   We don’t know exactly what the attendant said he heard.   The Cubs kept it pretty quiet and there may be more to this than publicly reported.   Hyde certainly knows more.   

1 hour ago, weams said:

Nope. Nor would you expect it to be. But it might be factual. Of course since his velocity has been dropping, I've seen the metrics say to pull him before the third time through the lineup. Not a Cyguy any longer. 

Zach Britton didn’t think Arrieta was well coached by Adair, either.   

Archived