Rickey was Never an Oriole, But He was an Oriole Killer

weams

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • weams changed the title to Rickey was Never an Oriole, But He was an Oriole Killer

Oriole related

In 1996, Henderson’s first season with San Diego, he boarded the team bus and was looking for a seat. Steve Finley said, “You have tenure, sit wherever you want.” Henderson looked at Finley and said, “Ten years? Ricky’s been playing at least 16, 17 years.”

he-set-himself-on-fire-in-1980-as-a-suic

San Diego GM Kevin Towers was trying to contact Rickey at a nearby hotel. He knew Henderson always used fake names to avoid the press, fans, etc. He was trying to think like Rickey and after several attempts; he was able to get Henderson on the phone. Rickey had checked in under Richard Pryor.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

He stole 100 bases against 4 different teams. “Only” 99 against the Orioles.

o

You can't stop Rickey Henderson, you can only hope to contain him ........ the Orioles did just that by keeping him under 100 career stolen bases against them.

o

I didn’t appreciate how great he was when I was younger. Wish he could have been an O. Being able to be a legitimate threat to steal is such a gift. I read how in his prime he’d get on first and be on third by the end of the next ab. And then there are the Rickey stories which are gold. He loved the game. Glad I got to see him play.

Archived