Loewen done pitching

BaltimoreTerp

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/roch/blog/2008/07/the_news.html

I'll go in more depth later, but Adam Loewen is done as a pitcher. He's going to reinvent himself as an outfielder/first baseman, perhaps as early as the fall instructional league.

Another surgery on his elbow would have sidelined him for an estimated 1 1/2 years, and he wasn't willing to go down that path.

"I'm always going to be a pitcher," he said. "I've been doing it since I was 9 years old. It's going to be hard to let it go, but God has a plan for me."

Also, the Orioles acquired shortstop Juan Castro from Triple-A Colorado Springs for Triple-A Norfolk infielder Mike McCoy. Castro was added to the 25-man roster, and the Orioles outrighted Freddie Bynum to Triple-A. Bynum has 72 hours to accept the assignment.

Randor Bierd has returned from his injury rehab assignment. He's on his way to the ballpark right now. To make room, the Orioles placed Greg Aquino on the disabled list with a strained hamstring.

More to come.

Um...wow.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the million dollar question for me... Is Adam Loewen's career as an Oriole now over?

Unfortunately for the O's (as well as for Adam) is that he is out of options. He won't be able to reinvent himself in the minors ala Rick Ankiel, he'll have to be on the 25-man roster. Sure, there's the fall instructional league as well as spring training, but will that be enough? Most certainly not. Would the Orioles stash him on their bench while he continues to adjust and learn? Or will they simply have to let him go? This could be quite an interesting predictament.

Here's the million dollar question for me... Is Adam Loewen's career as an Oriole now over?

Unfortunately for the O's (as well as for Adam) is that he is out of options. He won't be able to reinvent himself in the minors ala Rick Ankiel, he'll have to be on the 25-man roster. Sure, there's the fall instructional league as well as spring training, but will that be enough? Most certainly not. Would the Orioles stash him on their bench while he continues to adjust and learn? Or will they simply have to let him go? This could be quite an interesting predictament.

Can't they just sign him to a new contract? Restructure/extend it, whatever?

I have no idea at all what you're expecting to be told you were right about re: Loewen in relation to this news. The fact that you say he had a bad workout routine is related to a career ending arm injury that is due to a structural weakness in a bone in his forearm how? I'm glad you found the time to make this about you though. And you did it so quickly...

You've always been a detractor. Whenever someone takes something holistic and makes it simplistic, it's always going to seem far fetched.

Of course I'd be the first to this. If you want to do me a favour and go back and read every single thing I've said regarding Loewen and his workout regimen, his offseason regimen, his injuries (labrum, shoulder, forearm, and elbow related), as well as the things I've said regarding his hidden "injuries" and how they'd affect his consistency in the future (said he'd have trouble putting together 1 full season let alone 2). But go on, continue detracting.

Do you really think he wouldn't make it through waivers? That another team would keep him on their 25-man roster as a hitter if the Orioles wouldn't? I don't buy it. I think he'll pass through waivers and play a full season in the minors next year.

Archived