Olney suggests Sherill to the Sawx???

Roll Tide

Dude...where do I start.

First, I'm not doing the same thing in saying that I know what Teixeira's thought process will be...KEY word in the quote is "IF". IF Tex choses Baltimore next season, a .500 record has nothing to do with the impending direction of the club. If we have a .500 record with a bunch of 30-year olds, how does that show that we are on the way up? To me and anyone with sense, it shows that this team is peaking at a .500 record.

Why would anyone choose a peaking .500 team if your trying to win when you could go play for the up-and-up Rays where Pena could DH. Theres plenty more options including staying in Atlanta.

I'm not saying what Teixeira's thought process will be, just making a simple logical deduction. If he comes here, the largest selling point for our GM will be his hometown team. This team to anyone with baseball knowledge is years for contending with teams like the Red Sox and Rays. Teix knows that, and our GM knows that. The biggest difference is depth. We have a few injuries to our staff, and look at the difference in our pitching. We need to trade veterans that won't be any good to us in the next couple years and give our fans, players and even potential players like Tex, hope that we will improve greatly over the next 2 or 3 years.

Secondly, By no means was Sherrill a headlining name in the deal for Bedard. The big guys that we got were Adam Jones and Chris Tillman. Sherrill was said to be a stop-gap at closer and later to be traded. Of course my knowledge of him has nothing to do with his performance, however my point is that closers are not extremely hard to find.

Thirdly, you ask me to name a closer we've had that has been all-star potential in the last ten years...You have to first take into account that Sherrill was mainly chosen because we had no other reps, and secondly because of a stat that is largley based on team success rather than individual (just like wins). Secondly, B.J. Ryan was a better statistical closer that Sherrill and a much better pitcher in his prime here in Baltimore. However his team did not win close games, as no other Baltimore team has in the past ten years. No position in baseball turns no-names into household names more than closer and theres a reason for that.

Yeah, Seattle threw in Sherrill! :rolleyes:

I would say that the Butler and Mickolio were throw ins, but without Sherrill, Bedard would still be an Oriole. It wouldn't suprise me if the Orioles had access to another top 10 prospect, but chose Sherrill instead. Chosing Sherrill was a very good decision.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no issue with trading my brother. I have stated that several times.

Yeah, I just typed up stuff off the cuff and realized my words may have been misconstrued from their intent.

Admittedly, the 'scrap heap' part was a bit much, but i was just trying to imply that the guy while outstanding this year, was relatively unknown before this season, if he had not of been, Buster Olney would have no story.

As Buster wrote in his blog:

He was 26 years old before a Major League Baseball organization signed him, made his major-league debut at age 27, and at age 31, the Orioles left-hander found himself on the field at Yankee Stadium, as an American League All-Star.

Its not like he was a top-100 prospect. He is reaping the rewards of persevering to come out of relative obscurity to succeed on a national stage and deservedly so. But he needs a ring and we need some prospects. Obviously we shouldn't just dump him to dump him though, he is definitely worth more than his statistical value. As stats don't account for the positive effect that he has had on the clubhouse and for the general image of the team.

Uhm, look at his numbers....Sherrill is not that good. In a good bullpen he would be a late inning setup man brought in to get lefties out. As a closer he's barely adequate. Forget the saves...look at the peripheral numbers and his ERA. The Orioles should be absolutely looking to deal him now if his stock is high in some corners of the league.

I love when people ignore the obvious when trying to make a point that backs up their point. You can read the peripheral all you want, the job of a closer is to get 3 outs before the other team ties or goes ahead and Sherrill has done an excellent job of that. With all due respect, that can not be ignored.

Yeah, Seattle threw in Sherrill! :rolleyes:

I would say that the Butler and Mickolio were throw ins, but without Sherrill, Bedard would still be an Oriole. It wouldn't suprise me if the Orioles had access to another top 10 prospect, but chose Sherrill instead. Chosing Sherrill was a very good decision.

There are a lot of baseball people who like Butler more than Tillman.... I also thing that the front office demanded Sherrill as part of the deal from the get go.

There are a lot of baseball people who like Butler more than Tillman.... I also thing that the front office demanded Sherrill as part of the deal from the get go.
I've heard this as well.

Care to name names as to who would have this opinion? Or was it from insider type people that can't have their identification revealed?

I don't see how any front office person would have Butler rated ahead of Tillman.

Care to name names as to who would have this opinion? Or was it from insider type people that can't have their identification revealed?

I don't see how any front office person would have Butler rated ahead of Tillman.

Runs2the1Show was my source for that information.

Randy Myers, BJ Ryan, Chris Ray, Jorge Julio....

I see one, over the last 10 seasons. Randy Myers last season in Baltimore was 1997...

BJ Ryan was a fantastic closer, and we've been trying to replace him ever since. Sherrills under control for another 3 seasons, while also being incredibly affordable. Last year was more than awful in terms of the back end of our bullpen, I'd gladly hang onto Sherrill.

I see one, over the last 10 seasons. Randy Myers last season in Baltimore was 1997...

BJ Ryan was a fantastic closer, and we've been trying to replace him ever since. Sherrills under control for another 3 seasons, while also being incredibly affordable. Last year was more than awful in terms of the back end of our bullpen, I'd gladly hang onto Sherrill.

I'm not suggesting that you give Sherrill away. But closer is the least of our problems. This team has more holes than swiss cheese. None of Mora, Huff, Hernandez, Millar, (our pile of scrap heap SS's), 3/5 of our current rotation, Walker or Bradford & IMO Roberts,Scott, & Sherrill will be at or near peak performance when this club is playoff bound.

Other than Guthrie, Jones , & Markakis anyone should be available for the right price. I really dont like the term overpaying for Sherrill. I say trade him if you get a good offer.

Using your logic and speaking in your terms...If you win the trade, your division rival is worse for the wear and you've double-whammied them by not only detracting thier situation, but improving your own. Why have a defeatist attitude and assume that you will fair worse than the other team in the long run. In the current thread we are discussing trading Sherrill. Why not lend Sherrill to the Sawks or Yanks or even Rays for a few years in return for an everyday position player or starter that can help the team for years to come.

No, not all prospects pan out, but you have to have some faith in your scouting department if you're going to rebuild.

So you lose your closer to get what? Maybe if I knew what they could get I might be more receptive but right now I know that Sherrill won't be easy to replace. I am sorry but I was not a Chris Ray fan before his TJ surgery and I don't think he is good enough to close games. I want somebody more reliable and who has better command. Ray just reminds me of a mediocre Triple A pitcher probably better suited for a setup guy who tries to impersonate a major league closer and wasn't very good at doing so.

Sherrill is much better than Ray, its that simple. I do know that no matter what kind of player we get in return Sherrill is going to help Boston or the Yankees even moreso than he is helping us because they are better teams. Again, I think trading to a division rival is dangerous and not a good idea unless in a complete full scale-tear it down and rebuild mode. In that case you are conceding you are going to be terrible and throwing away next season and possibly the one after that or even more. I think this team has at least shown that they are much more competitive this year and Sherrill is a big reason for that. Having a lousy closer is demoralizing to a team and the converse is also true. Sherrill has been a big morale booster. If you want to trade that away than that should just be a starting point for a full scale house cleaning. I just don't think that is necessary. I think guys like Sherrill are positive additions and he is worth every penny of his salary unlike total duds like Danys Baez who was totally worthless.

So you lose your closer to get what? Maybe if I knew what they could get I might be more receptive but right now I know that Sherrill won't be easy to replace. I am sorry but I was not a Chris Ray fan before his TJ surgury and I don't think he is good enough to close games. I want somebody more reliable and who has better command. Sherrill is better at that its that simple. I do know that no matter what kind of player we get in return Sherrill is going to help Boston or the Yankees even moreso than he is helping us because they are better teams. Again, I think trading to a division rival is dangerous and not a good idea unless in a complete full scale-tear it down and rebuild mode. In that case you are conceding you are going to be terrible and throwing away next season and possibly the one after that or even more. I think this team has at least shown that they are much more competitive this year and Sherrill is a big reason for that. Having a lousy closer is demoralizing to a team and the converse is also true. Sherrill has been a big morale booster.

I think J Johnson could do the job. But lets face it Sherrill saving 40 games for a team that wins 85 is less valuable than the 2 to 3 players that will contribute when the Orioles play a game in September that meaning 3-5 years from now.

I think J Johnson could do the job. But lets face it Sherrill saving 40 games for a team that wins 85 is less valuable than the 2 to 3 players that will contribute when the Orioles play a game in September that meaning 3-5 years from now.

I don't disagree but they don't need to come from the Yankees, Red Sox or Rays. There are plenty of other suitors out there, so why take a chance that you have to face Sherrill regularly for the next three years and your prospects don't pan out? Trading Bedard to Seattle and outside the division was another huge factor in that deal that was a positive in the Orioles favor. No reason why that pattern cannot be emulated with Sherrill. To me any divison rival offer would have to be a complete fleecing in the Orioles favor or I wouldn't even consider it.

I don't disagree but they don't need to come from the Yankees, Red Sox or Rays. There are plenty of other suitors out there, so why take a chance that you have to face Sherrill regularly for the next three years and your prospects don't pan out? Trading Bedard to Seattle and outside the division was another huge factor in that deal that was a positive in the Orioles favor. No reason why that pattern cannot be emulated with Sherrill. To me any divison rival offer would have to be a complete fleecing in the Orioles favor or I wouldn't even consider it.

You take the best package, I do not care who it comes from. You can really hurt teams in the long term by taking their best prospects.

I say it doesn't matter who you trade with as long as we get the best set of players. Bedard will be traded by Seattle to whomever when he is healthy again. So Seattle may trade him to the Yankees or Red Sox in the offseason.

In Sherrill's case ..... Lets say we trade him to Milwaukee (for a offer lesser than the Yanks or Red Sox are offering. After making a run at this year the Brewers unload) They trade him to a AL East team. What do we accomplish?

Trading to the Yankees or Sox may strengthen them in the short term & hurt them in the long term.

:cussing:

I say it doesn't matter who you trade with as long as we get the best set of players. Bedard will be traded by Seattle to whomever when he is healthy again. So Seattle may trade him to the Yankees or Red Sox in the offseason.

In Sherrill's case ..... Lets say we trade him to Milwaukee (for a offer lesser than the Yanks or Red Sox are offering. After making a run at this year the Brewers unload) They trade him to a AL East team. What do we accomplish?

Trading to the Yankees or Sox may strengthen them in the short term & hurt them in the long term.

I totallly and vehemently disagree with your last statement. Nobody ever is going to "hurt" the Yankees or Redsox long or short run. NEVER! That is why you never give them anything. I cannot believe the logic here regarding this. It is just dumbfounding to the empth degree!These aren't normal teams with limited payrolls we are talking about here! Your theory might have some weight if the Yankees and Boston were comparable (smaller market teams) to the Orioles but obviously they are NOT! So you never want to "help" them get better, short term, long term or EVER~!#@:cussing: and you sure as all get out aren't going to hurt them ever either.

How in the heck do you think the two Evil Empires have remained at the top so long? They take or rape all the talent they can year after year. You really think taking a prospect or two from them will "hurt" them in the long run????? You gotta be kidding me or joking. They just go out and sign the highest priced and most talented replacement out there. Prospects mean nothing to them. That will never change until they put some sort of salary cap in place and the union won't allow it. Sorry, but trading to them is like cutting yourself in the throat while getting the services of a doctor for free.

Archived