Olney suggests Sherill to the Sawx???

Roll Tide

Why do we want Ellsbury? Why would they trade their starting CF?

Ellsbury is a great talent. If they want to run Crisp back out there, so be it- I'll take him. But fact is Lowrie is not as great as other options we might be able to aquire..if Lowrie is "the deal," fine, but it takes Ellsbury in it too or I look elsewhere. In fact, it might work for both teams. Reimold might mash in Fenway if given a chance, and I would give them another additional prospect, too.

Again, we can do better with the the Dodgers, etc.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When is Bowden slated to make the majors is he like Masterson and right on the cusp and we could see him sometime next season or does he need more time? Anybody know. I know he is fairly close he is already in AA. Lowrie could step in right away and solve a lot of the O's problems with the middle infield. Roberts and Lowrie could be a deadly combo both defensively and offensively.

Ellsbury is a great talent. If they want to run Crisp back out there, so be it- I'll take him. But fact is Lowrie is not as great as other options we might be able to aquire..if Lowrie is "the deal," fine, but it takes Ellsbury in it too or I look elsewhere. In fact, it might work for both teams. Reimold might mash in Fenway if given a chance, and I would give them another additional prospect, too.

Would you do Sherrill and Reimold for Ellsbury?

I certainly would.

You can't deal Sherrill. Who would be our closer?

Sarfate? Gave up three runs today without recording an out.

Bradford? He's not really a closer, more of a set up.

You could throw Johnson, maybe Cormier in there but they aren't like Sherrill.

Fact is, Sherrill increases our chances to win ball games THIS year.

Yes, I know we need to think about the future, a few years down the road, but heck i just watched our team battle back and win from being down 6 runs before they even swung the bat. The orioles are just two games away from .500 and i'm sick and tired of seeing the O's end with a losing record for 10 years running now. They have that attitude of never giving up that I haven't seen in quite awhile.

Don't let sherrill go.

Who knows if the Dodgers will be able to get anything done with the Dodgers owner treating Colletti like Angelos has treated many a GM the last 10 years.

Yes, I know we need to think about the future, a few years down the road, but heck i just watched our team battle back and win from being down 6 runs before they even swung the bat. The orioles are just two games away from .500 and i'm sick and tired of seeing the O's end with a losing record for 10 years running now. They have that attitude of never giving up that I haven't seen in quite awhile.

Don't let sherrill go.

Fact is, it's not about this year.

Why Ellsbury other than his speed? OF shouldn't really be our top worry right now.

Whoever we get in a trade + Scott/Reimold is probably better than Ellsbury + prospects from dealing Scott/Reimold.

I would love to see an OF of Jones, Ellsbury, and Markakis- that could be very special for years.

But right- no way Sox trade JE, anyway. And like others have said, (I've seen Lowrie) and am not all that impressed. Lot of talent, but we could do better.

Sherrill and Reimold for Ellsbury is an awful trade for the Orioles and nobody in their right mind would make that deal. Sherrill for Ellsbury alone is a terrible trade. We don't need to focus on the outfield I think we're doing pretty well with Scott, Jones, and Markakis. We need to lock down that middle infield with a good young player ala Lowrie but Sherrill's value has risen to a point beyond that where we could pick and choose a second prospect. If the Sox want him bad enough, and I think Francona is enamoured by him, then Lowrie and Bowden makes more sense for the O's and more probable than the Sox giving up their starting CF which makes no sense on either side.

Don't let sherrill go.

If you get the right offer, you suck it up for a month and make Ray the closer when he comes back.

Don't let sherrill go.

Who cares who our closer is??? Sherrill is 30 ... By the time the Orioles turn the corner Sherill will likely be in decline. Johnson could probably close anyway ...but I say it doesn't matter.

I would love to see an OF of Jones, Ellsbury, and Markakis- that could be very special for years.

But right- no way Sox trade JE, anyway. And like others have said, (I've seen Lowrie) and am not all that impressed. Lot of talent, but we could do better.

It wouldn't just be Lowrie coming back. If Bowden or Anderson were attached, Lowrie is the SS that fills the hole while Bowden or Anderson would be the real prize.

BTW here's what Sickels had to say on Lowrie:

Jed Lowrie had a mediocre '06 season in the Carolina League, but he was injured much of the time. Fully healthy in '07, he rebounded with an excellent campaign in Double-A and Triple-A, posting +24 OPS and and +18 OPS respectively. He has good power for a middle infielder, and 47 doubles indicates that more could be on the way. He has excellent strike zone judgment, and aside from his injury-plagued season at Wilmington, he's hit for a high average in pro ball. He also looked better defensively in '07, showing enough range for shortstop. The Red Sox are very high on him, and other teams have asked about him in trades. I think he is one of the best prospects in baseball.Grade A-.

He thought about changing him to a B+ but thinks his grade of A- will ring true.

It doesn't matter who's offering what for Sherrill. Mcphail has shown that he's not going to be forced into doing anything. He has a price tag for Sherrill, if the Red Sox want to meet it... great, they'll have a great SU man. If they don't, someone else will if they pay up. If not... Sherrill's an Oriole, it's really that simple.

Archived