Olney suggests Sherill to the Sawx???

Roll Tide

I kind of hope the MFY's creep up on Boston. Faced with the threat of not making the post season they would be more willing to make a deal that mortgages more of their future to make it happen this season.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the Sox....

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gabbard = high ranking pitching prospect

Murphy = high ranking positional prospect

Bowden = high ranking pitching prospect

Lowrie = high ranking positional prospect

Seems fair.

Bowden is much more highly regarded than Gabbard was, and Lowrie currently has a place on the MLB team, while Murphy did not.

We are not getting both Bowden and Lowrie back for Sherrill.

Bowden is much more highly regarded than Gabbard was, and Lowrie currently has a place on the MLB team, while Murphy did not.

Then the Red Sox won't get Sherrill.

Our best bet is to have Fuentes go elsewhere and have the Sux and Rays both bidding on Sherrill to see if they can get the O's to pull the trigger.

Well in your attempt to prove me wrong you've actually made a very nice point for me wickedwitch. All that you're doing is switching the situations where as last year Gabbard was a bonified MLB starter for the Sox and had a place on the team and did quite well, while Bowden is only in AA. And Lowrie was just called up unlike Murphy who was in the minors. So you have 1 MLB player and 1 prospect just like last year's deal.

Agree. That's pretty much swindling the Red Sox right there. And I don't think Theo Epstein's that easy to fool. And agree with JTrea... Boston's not getting Sherrill.

For the record, if it's Lowrie and a lower prospect, I still probably pull the trigger.

Taking a look at Sherrill objectively, he's a slightly above average pitcher (OPS+ 105), with a 1.4 WHIP this season. He's rapidly approaching the highest number of innings he's ever pitched in a season, and his career numbers in August and September are not good. Sherrill's VORP is currently 223rd among pitchers this season.

If we could get the Red Sox to give us Lowrie and Bowden for Sherrill that would be a steal.

I think from the All-Star game Francona could see up close that Sherrill has the heart of a lion. Also, Francona would like more help between the starters and Papelbon.

Regarding Michael Bowden:

"Just basing it off his last 10 outings, the tests that have been presented to him, he's passed with flying colors," Portland pitching coach Mike Cather said before last night's 10-4 win over the Rock Cats. "He's attacked teams with his fastball, and when they've adjusted to his fastball, he's shown the ability to go to his secondary pitches and offset his fastball and then come back to his fastball.

"He's shown the ability to be dynamic on the mound and make adjustments between innings. I feel like the next test for him is going to be at another level, I truly do."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/06/20/variety_spices_his_repertoire/

I kind of hope the MFY's creep up on Boston. Faced with the threat of not making the post season they would be more willing to make a deal that mortgages more of their future to make it happen this season.

Sounds like the Sox....

Under Epstein, the Red Sox have traded the following notable (by this I mean that they are highly rated have actually done something approaching useful after being traded) prospects at or around the July 31 deadline:

2003: Freddy Sanchez

2004: Matt Murton

2005: None

2006: None

2007: Kason Gabbard, David Murphy, Engel Beltre

5 prospects in 5 years, and it's debatable if Murton is "notable." The Nomar trade really mortgaged nothing, and their larger trades (Crisp, Beckett/Lowell, Schilling, the Mirabelli debacle) have all been in the offseason. In short, there is no evidence that the Sox will become more likely to make a desperate trade at the deadline. In fact, 2005 and especially 2006, where they sat on their hands and fell into 3rd place, are evidence to the contrary. And I really don't think they'll break that pattern to trade one of their top pitching prospects and top infield prospects, who they need RIGHT NOW, in order to get George Sherrill. Kason Gabbard was a junkballing, low-ceiling LHP who rode the Pawtucket shuttle and was interchangeable with David Pauley and Devern Hansack. He was desirable to Texas because their pitching completely sucks. He is not comparable to Michael Bowden. David Murphy had no place on the team, unlike Jed Lowrie, unless people think the Red Sox are going to start Alex Cora at SS for the entire month of August. Engel Beltre is high-ceiling but he's 18 and nowhere close to the majors. The Gagne deal simply isn't the same as the Sherrill deal being proposed here.

I think a Lowrie/Chris Carter deal is fair and benefits both teams.

That sounds about right...or a high upside guy down in the lower minor league levels...not elite, but having somewhat equivalent value to Carter.

On the subject of trading with a division rival … I know this is irrational, but I would be upset of the Orioles made a trade that helped the Yankees win the World Series. On the other hand, if a trade that benefits the Birds and helps the Red Sox or Rays keep the Yankees out of the playoffs I would be a happy guy. Like I said, it's irrational but that's the way I feel.

You can't trade sherrill to someone in our division, that doesnt do us any good. We'd run into him in the ninth one day and he'd shut us down.

Wrong, if the guys coming back make us a better team for the long run and maybe one Jed Lowrie becomes our SS for the next, say 6 years you trade. I love Sherrill's team first attitude and how he stands up in the good and the bad but if it makes us better in 2010 you go for it.

Archived