International Signing Alexander Ayala

jrobb21613

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't understand why any fan would be in favor of an International draft, unless they just think owners need to be richer.

Yet some are.

I assume they aren't thinking about that at all and are instead concerned about granting all teams the same access to the IFA market.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't understand why any fan would be in favor of an International draft, unless they just think owners need to be richer.

Yet some are.

I don’t know how I feel, but generally I’m in favor of anything that denies the richer teams an advantage in acquiring young talent.   That’s more important to me as a fan than how much money the owners make.    

1 minute ago, joelala said:

I assume they aren't thinking about that at all and are instead concerned about granting all teams the same access to the IFA market.

I think they should be thinking bigger picture and not "My owner doesn't spend on International players and maybe a draft will force him to."

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know how I feel, but generally I’m in favor of anything that denies the richer teams an advantage in acquiring young talent.   That’s more important to me as a fan than how much money the owners make.    

Does the current slotting system favor richer teams?

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Some, but I don’t know how much.   That’s why I say I’m not sure how I feel about an international draft.   Clearly, the old system where teams could spend as much as they wanted on international players favored the richer teams.    With the slotting system, a lot of that advantage is taken away.    I’d still say the richer teams have an advantage because (1) they can hire more international scouts and can spend money on various things that cause players to choose to sign with them, and (2) they have various ways of acquiring extra slots.    But I’m not sure I’d want to impose an international draft as a countermeasure to those advantages, which aren’t that overwhelming compared to the old system.

Just now, Frobby said:

I don’t know.   That’s why I say I’m not sure how I feel about an international draft.   Clearly, the old system where teams could spend as much as they wanted on international players favored the richer teams.    With the slotting system, a lot of that advantage is taken away.    I’d still say the richer teams have an advantage because (1) they can hire more international scouts and can spend money on various things that cause players to choose to sign with them,, and (2) they have various ways of acquiring extra slots.    But I’m not sure I’d want to impose an international draft as a countermeasure to those advantages, which aren’t that overwhelming compared to the old system.

Considering what scouts costs do you think that any team can't afford to field an extensive staff of scouts?  I think there is a diminishing returns point where a staff becomes too cumbersome.

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the rich teams can fund better scouting systems internationally. That means they typically build stronger relationships with the top players. Which means they are more likely to sign those top players.

There's a little more that goes into it besides all of the teams starting with the same amount of slot money.

3 minutes ago, theocean said:

I think the rich teams can fund better scouting systems internationally. That means they typically build stronger relationships with the top players. Which means they are more likely to sign those top players.

There's a little more that goes into it besides all of the teams starting with the same amount of slot money.

You think that some teams can't afford to fund international scouting systems?

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't understand why any fan would be in favor of [xyz] unless they just think owners need to be richer.

Yet some are.

Wow, this can apply to so much else...!

Okay, we won't go there. ;)

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

It has been known for American players to use dual citizenship or family relations so they can be eligible as an international free agent rather than be made available in the draft.

And it was the Orioles that took advantage of that loophole?  Peter Angelos' head just exploded.

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yet some are.

IMO, a draft lowers areas of advantage such as scouting for large market teams and fans of relatively smaller market teams like us Orioles fans should be in favor a draft.  Worrying about the owners' benefits to something like this is petty and should be far, far down the list of a fan's priorities.

3 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

IMO, a draft lowers areas of advantage such as scouting for large market teams and fans of relatively smaller market teams like us Orioles fans should be in favor a draft.  Worrying about the owners' benefits to something like this is petty and should be far, far down the list of a fan's priorities.

Thanks for telling me what my priorities should be.

I would like to have someone explain to me what type of money is needed for scouting that a large market team would end up with a significant advantage over what a smaller market team could spend if they desired to.

Archived