Stand Pat!

Peace21

I guess to me trading Sherrill is the equivielent of AM firing Trembley. Thats my opinion.

Wow, really? With JJ doing such great work in a one-inning role, and Ray coming back, Baez back next season (unfortunately), not to mention Hoey, McCrory, Mickolio, and Deza working through the system?

Man, you really do like big George huh?

I'd like to keep him too in the sense he is a valuable, stabilizing piece to our bullpen, but with a sky-high value right now, I wouldn't mind doing what we SHOULD have done with BJ Ryan.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We need to show signs of getting better.

Unless Mark Teixeira is a complete moron, winning a couple extra games with Kevin Millar and Jay Payton will do nothing for his desire to come here.

On the other hand, a sign of a real plan and a real effort to implement it might have some appeal. At least more then what you are suggesting, which is a dead-end.

Let's use your favorite analogy - the restaurant business. You are the owner of a once very proud restaurant but in the past 10 years has gotten a pretty crummy reputation. You decide that you need to reorganize but in order to stay in business you hire a couple of good chefs - not the best - but they aren't embarrassing your establishment in the neighborhood anymore.

Now Mark Teixeira is the countries top chef, is looking for a new place to go and as a matter of fact - he is from your neighborhood. But he is also a very smart dude and knows this is his chance at not only a big payday but also get a chance to be known as the best chef in the best restaurant in the country.

In order to attract him to your restaurant you either...

1 - get rid of your "good" chefs and hire a bunch of graduates fresh out of pastry school. This will show him that you are trying to get better (?)

2 - keep your good chefs and add him as the head chef.

Hmmm...

So we trade Sherrill for two young prospects, and then we have a big hole with the closers role?

Maybe, but even then we could be filling two holes. One hole is better than two. Words AM should live by.:laughlol:

So we trade Sherrill for two young prospects, and then we have a big hole with the closers role?

If we aren't playing for this season, give JJ a shot at it. He has earned it so far, and if he falls apart go to a <shudder> committee until the off season when we get Ray back and we can look at other options as well.

We have a lot of SP in the minors and on the DL that could make incredible closers you know. We could give some shots out like we did with George, that turned out well.

Let's use your favorite analogy - the restaurant business. You are the owner of a once very proud restaurant but in the past 10 years has gotten a pretty crummy reputation. You decide that you need to reorganize but in order to stay in business you hire a couple of good chefs - not the best - but they aren't embarrassing your establishment in the neighborhood anymore.

Now Mark Teixeira is the countries top chef, is looking for a new place to go and as a matter of fact - he is from your neighborhood. But he is also a very smart dude and knows this is his chance at not only a big payday but also get a chance to be known as the best chef in the best restaurant in the country.

In order to attract him to your restaurant you either...

1 - get rid of your "good" chefs and hire a bunch of graduates fresh out of pastry school. This will show him that you are trying to get better (?)

2 - keep your good chefs and add him as the head chef.

Hmmm...

If you know that the guys you are hiring have been declared culinary prodigies and you can hire several for the cost of each of the veteran chefs you already have, then you can make that deal and be OK.

The Top Chef might see an opportunity to train those chefs and build the best restaurant in the country, and if not you are still set-up well with great young chefs to build your restaurant around.

I remember back during the Toronto series when Johnson had a couple bad games, people here were ready to DFA him.

Well for the record, I wasn't one of them :) Everyone has a couple bad games over a 162 game season. Sherrill looked rough for a stretch before the break.

He has had a great year this year, and does his best work with no one on base. If he has the role to come on with a clean slate in the 9th, I think he could do well.

I agree we should only trade Sherrill if we get a GREAT haul for him. His contract is too friendly to just give away.

Archived