Cardinals a good match with Orioles for Sherrill

Roll Tide

The Cardinals are one of the best fits because they have blown a National League-high 23 save tries this season.

Wow .... I cant believe this doesn't happen in a hurry. I would imagine that Sherrill is likely the best avaialble closer. With 18 + of those games saved the Cards would be in the drivers seat.

What could we get ??? I would imagine Rasmus would be part of the deal.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.osnotes22jul22,0,131355.story

Andy Macphail may be creating the "perfect storm" between two contenders in the NL central. It appears that they both have serious interest in Sherrill and may part with some serious talent to get him to prevent the competition from getting him. Could Macphail parlay this into Colby Rasmus?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.osnotes22jul22,0,131355.story

Andy Macphail may be creating the "perfect storm" between two contenders in the NL central. It appears that they both have serious interest in Sherrill and may part with some serious talent to get him to prevent the competition from getting him. Could Macphail parlay this into Colby Rasmus?

I am all in favor of dealing Sherrill outside the AL East at all costs, so this sounds good to me.

Given the preference for a SS prospect, as stated in the article, perhaps Milwaukee and Escobar is a possibility? I don't think we can net Rasmus for a reliever, but if they see him as the "missing piece" for a playoff run, who knows?

The Cardinals are one of the best fits because they have blown a National League-high 23 save tries this season.

Wow .... I cant believe this doesn't happen in a hurry. I would imagine that Sherrill is likely the best avaialble closer. With 18 + of those games saved the Cards would be in the drivers seat.

I would be fine with any deal with a NL team. Just so AM stays the heck away from strenghening the Red Sox, Yankees or Rays. I also don't even want Sherrill going to Toronto either. Just so they don't help our main competition, I am all in favor of trading him at the right price although unllike many here I think he is not going to be replaced easily.

Given the preference for a SS prospect, as stated in the article, perhaps Milwaukee and Escobar is a possibility? I don't think we can net Rasmus for a reliever, but if they see him as the "missing piece" for a playoff run, who knows?

Escobar is untouchable because he is Hardy's replacement when they trade him this offseason. Rasmus and a prospect from the Cards seems very likely IMO...

Escobar is untouchable because he is Hardy's replacement when they trade him this offseason. Rasmus and a prospect from the Cards seems very likely IMO...

Rasmus has been one of the highest rated prospects in baseball and after a rough start, was really coming on strong in AAA. I don't think he's any less valuable to the Cards than Escobar is to the Brewers, but I could very well be wrong. I just don't see St. Louis giving up Rasmus for anything less than Roberts. And, he's the only big-time prospect that the Cards can dangle or build around depending on the direction they decide to go with him, while the Brewers have a pretty well stacked farm system to deal from.

If we could get either of those prospects for any reliever, I would be pretty surprised - and thrilled.

Escobar is more valuable to the O's than Rasmus even if Rasmus is a top 10 prospect. Escobar's defense is already major league caliber and has gold glove abilities. And his bat and speed is definitely going to translate well so I wouldn't be surprised to see him on a lot of top 25 lists.

We'd be hardpressed to get Rasmus for BRob. No chance we get him for Sherrill.

I'm curious as to what we can get from the Red Sox and Rays though. If we could get a package headlined by either Lowrie or Brignac, it's a deal you have to make, IMO.

Couldn't they just trade Escobar and not trade Hardy? I don't follow the Brewers that closely, but you make it seem like a foregone conclusion that they're going to trade Hardy.

Couldn't they just trade Escobar and not trade Hardy? I don't follow the Brewers that closely, but you make it seem like a foregone conclusion that they're going to trade Hardy.

They could, but it wold be a lot more expensive for them in the long run. they have the capability to be a very good team for a while, without a lot of expense. And Escobar is a big part of that. That being said, I think they would move him, but they would be very reluctant to.

We'd be hardpressed to get Rasmus for BRob. No chance we get him for Sherrill.

I'm curious as to what we can get from the Red Sox and Rays though. If we could get a package headlined by either Lowrie or Brignac, it's a deal you have to make, IMO.

I'm not sure ... The Cardinals would be the instant favorites by filling this one glaring weakness. I think it is very possible & then a precursor for a off season deal as Rasmus could finish 2008 at AAA. Or we keep both & groom Scott to play 1B.

Sherrill would be the missing piece for the Cards. 23 Blown saves... Imagine how far ahead they'd be if they had converted just 18 of those 23.

Even though I'm clearly in the "keep some vets" crowd, if you guys really think we could get Rasums - and you think he's really going to be that good - then I guess it'd be hard to say no. JJ, Ray, and Baez still make a good 3-person tandem to finish up games as long as Baez is more of a 7th inning guy. I'll miss Sherrill and my dreams of a JJ, Ray, GS anchor in the 'pen though.

Archived