Cardinals a good match with Orioles for Sherrill

Roll Tide

Escobar is untouchable because he is Hardy's replacement when they trade him this offseason. Rasmus and a prospect from the Cards seems very likely IMO...

I agree. I can't think of anyone else the Cards would be offering up to get Sherrill. I think sometimes people underestimate the value of a good bullpen arm in a penant race. The fact that the Cards bullpen is awful and the Brewers and Cubs already making deals may put them in desperation mode.

Could you imagine a return of Jones, Rasmus and Tillman for Bedard? Wow!!

Does anyone know more info on some Cards prospects that we may be interested in if we aren't discussing Rasmus?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What deal do you take?

Sherrill for Rasmus?

Sherrill for Escobar?

Sherrill for Hardy?

Sherrill + Bradford for Hardy + Weeks

I know none of these offers are probally on the table, but if they were what would to you take. Its always fun to speculate even if its way off base.

I personally would do Rasmus followed closely by Hardy actually those two are the deals i would do. I would pull the trigger on any of them. I would love to expand the deal and get Rasmus, and Kouzma/Reyes. Actually the cards may get really desperate and include one of Kouzma/Reyes just for Sherrill, but i would happley include a prospect or someone we want to part with to land one of Kouzma or Reyes ith Rasmus. Or include some young pitching and go after Gamel. I know its unlikely but its always fun to consider. If we could some how land one of Rasmus, Hardy, or Escobar just hink what t would do for this team and the fans. I know as a fan personally it would get me back to the yard. It would also make the Bedard trade go down in history as the biggest fleeshing of all time if its already not considered a lopsided deal.

Cards prospects

Colby Rasmus, CF 275/.381/.551 at Double-A (128 G)

The player with the highest upside in the system, exploded in 2007 by leading the Double-A Texas League in home runs with 29 despite not turning 21 until the latter part of the season.

The Good: On a pure tools level, Rasmus is an absolute monster. He added a good 10-15 pounds of solid muscle prior to the season, and it clearly paid off, as he added strength to what was already an extremely quick bat. He has excellent pitch recognition and a patient approach, and his plus speed makes him dangerous both on the basepaths and in the field, where he also has a very good arm. Perfect World Projection: An All-Star center fielder with the power and speed to hit leadoff or third.

Jose Martinez, SS .248/.285/.323 at High-A (62 G); .300/.339/.472 at Double-A (66 G)

One of the very rare Latin talents in this system, Martinez struggled initially at High-A, but found his groove following a promotion to the Texas League.

The Good: Scouts like what they see in Martinez's bat. He has outstanding hand-eye coordination, rarely swings and misses, and shows surprising pop for his size. In the field, he has outstanding fundamentals, and makes the play on any ball he gets to.

Jaime Garcia, LHP 3.75 ERA at Double-A (103.1-93-45-97)

Seen by some as the steal of the 2005 draft, Garcia continued to succeed, posting a good showing at Double-A before getting shut down with elbow problems.

The Good: Garcia is a ground-ball machine, utilizing an outstanding low-90s sinker that he fills the bottom of the strike zone with. He also throws a plus curveball that he likes to start in the strike zone and break out of it. He has an average changeup, and a good mound demeanor.

Tyler Herron, RHP 3.74 ERA at Low-A (137.1-123-26-130)

A first-round pick from 2005, Herron handled himself quite well in his full-season debut.

The Good: While Herron's arsenal grades out as average across the board, all of his pitches are marked up because of his remarkable control. His height gives him a good downward plane on a 89-92 mph fastball, and he effectively mixes in a good curveball and a solid changeup, while effortlessly filling all four quadrants of the strike zone with any of his offerings.

Peter Kozma, SS .154/.267/.154 at Rookie-level GCL (4 G); .254/.350/.396 at Rookie-level Appalachian (30 G); .148/.179/.222 at Short-season (8 G)

The first true high school shortstop selected in June had an inconsistent pro debut.

The Good: Kozma is an outstanding defensive shortstop with great instincts, good range to both sides, and an above-average arm. He employs a mature approach at the plate and works the count well, while featuring a smooth, quick swing that uses all fields and projects for gap power.

Clayton Mortensen, RHP 1.77 ERA at Short-season (20.1-13-11-23); 3.12 ERA at Low-A (40.1-44-8-45)

The year's fastest-rising college senior went from undrafted as a junior to the 36th overall pick after a breakout year at Gonzaga.

The Good: Following his pro debut, some Cardinals officials think Mortensen's sinker has already eclipsed Garcia's. The pitch sits at 89-93 mph, features heavy bite, and Mortensen commands it exceedingly well. His slider is a little on the soft side, but features nice two-plane break, and his delivery adds a bit of deception to both pitches.

Chris Perez, RHP 2.43 ERA at Double-A (40.2-17-28-62); 4.50 ERA at Triple-A (14-6-13-15)

Perez is a fast-moving closer who made up for control problems by limiting minor league hitters to a miniscule .130 batting average.

The Good: Perez has the stuff, demeanor, and intimidating physical presence to be a closer in the big leagues. His fastball sits at 93-95 mph and can touch 97 while featuring explosive late life. His slider is an absolute wipeout offering that he gets into the upper 80s and which features heavy two-plane break. He's cocky and fearless on the mound, and wants the ball at the end of the game.

What deal do you take?

Sherrill for Rasmus?

Sherrill for Escobar?

Sherrill for Hardy?

Sherrill + Bradford for Hardy + Weeks

I know none of these offers are probally on the table, but if they were what would to you take. Its always fun to speculate even if its way off base.

I personally would do Rasmus followed closely by Hardy actually those two are the deals i would do. I would pull the trigger on any of them. I would love to expand the deal and get Rasmus, and Kouzma/Reyes. Actually the cards may get really desperate and include one of Kouzma/Reyes just for Sherrill, but i would happley include a prospect or someone we want to part with to land one of Kouzma or Reyes ith Rasmus. Or include some young pitching and go after Gamel. I know its unlikely but its always fun to consider. If we could some how land one of Rasmus, Hardy, or Escobar just hink what t would do for this team and the fans. I know as a fan personally it would get me back to the yard. It would also make the Bedard trade go down in history as the biggest fleeshing of all time if its already not considered a lopsided deal.

Cards prospects

Colby Rasmus, CF 275/.381/.551 at Double-A (128 G)

The player with the highest upside in the system, exploded in 2007 by leading the Double-A Texas League in home runs with 29 despite not turning 21 until the latter part of the season.

The Good: On a pure tools level, Rasmus is an absolute monster. He added a good 10-15 pounds of solid muscle prior to the season, and it clearly paid off, as he added strength to what was already an extremely quick bat. He has excellent pitch recognition and a patient approach, and his plus speed makes him dangerous both on the basepaths and in the field, where he also has a very good arm. Perfect World Projection: An All-Star center fielder with the power and speed to hit leadoff or third.

Jose Martinez, SS .248/.285/.323 at High-A (62 G); .300/.339/.472 at Double-A (66 G)

One of the very rare Latin talents in this system, Martinez struggled initially at High-A, but found his groove following a promotion to the Texas League.

The Good: Scouts like what they see in Martinez's bat. He has outstanding hand-eye coordination, rarely swings and misses, and shows surprising pop for his size. In the field, he has outstanding fundamentals, and makes the play on any ball he gets to.

Jaime Garcia, LHP 3.75 ERA at Double-A (103.1-93-45-97)

Seen by some as the steal of the 2005 draft, Garcia continued to succeed, posting a good showing at Double-A before getting shut down with elbow problems.

The Good: Garcia is a ground-ball machine, utilizing an outstanding low-90s sinker that he fills the bottom of the strike zone with. He also throws a plus curveball that he likes to start in the strike zone and break out of it. He has an average changeup, and a good mound demeanor.

Tyler Herron, RHP 3.74 ERA at Low-A (137.1-123-26-130)

A first-round pick from 2005, Herron handled himself quite well in his full-season debut.

The Good: While Herron's arsenal grades out as average across the board, all of his pitches are marked up because of his remarkable control. His height gives him a good downward plane on a 89-92 mph fastball, and he effectively mixes in a good curveball and a solid changeup, while effortlessly filling all four quadrants of the strike zone with any of his offerings.

Peter Kozma, SS .154/.267/.154 at Rookie-level GCL (4 G); .254/.350/.396 at Rookie-level Appalachian (30 G); .148/.179/.222 at Short-season (8 G)

The first true high school shortstop selected in June had an inconsistent pro debut.

The Good: Kozma is an outstanding defensive shortstop with great instincts, good range to both sides, and an above-average arm. He employs a mature approach at the plate and works the count well, while featuring a smooth, quick swing that uses all fields and projects for gap power.

Clayton Mortensen, RHP 1.77 ERA at Short-season (20.1-13-11-23); 3.12 ERA at Low-A (40.1-44-8-45)

The year's fastest-rising college senior went from undrafted as a junior to the 36th overall pick after a breakout year at Gonzaga.

The Good: Following his pro debut, some Cardinals officials think Mortensen's sinker has already eclipsed Garcia's. The pitch sits at 89-93 mph, features heavy bite, and Mortensen commands it exceedingly well. His slider is a little on the soft side, but features nice two-plane break, and his delivery adds a bit of deception to both pitches.

Chris Perez, RHP 2.43 ERA at Double-A (40.2-17-28-62); 4.50 ERA at Triple-A (14-6-13-15)

Perez is a fast-moving closer who made up for control problems by limiting minor league hitters to a miniscule .130 batting average.

The Good: Perez has the stuff, demeanor, and intimidating physical presence to be a closer in the big leagues. His fastball sits at 93-95 mph and can touch 97 while featuring explosive late life. His slider is an absolute wipeout offering that he gets into the upper 80s and which features heavy two-plane break. He's cocky and fearless on the mound, and wants the ball at the end of the game.

Looking at their prospect I would have to think it was Rasmus they are disusing. I don't see another prospect that could highlight a deal for the best bullpen arm available on the market.

From the St. Louis Dispatch today...

>>>CARDS EYE LEFTIES

The Cardinals' pursuit of a lefthanded reliever to fortify their bullpen has intensified as the club has expressed interest in Baltimore closer George Sherrill, sources said. Sherrill, an All-Star who has 29 saves and a 3.89 ERA for the Orioles, has drawn increased attention from several teams, including the Milwaukee Brewers.<<<

I still say that we could get two good players for Sherrill if we went the Milwaukee way whereas we could probably only get 1 good player back from St. Louis.

If we went with the Brewers, we may be able to pull Escobar (SS) and another arm. I still have faith that Reimold will solidify LF for us, meaning we would not need to go after Rasmus.

I would love to have Martinez, Kozma, Garcia, or Perez. I would lso really like to get ahold of Reyes. I think a change of scenery could really benefit him. I have always really liked his game and he could be that vet starter that AM wants. Give me Reyes over DCab anyday. What else are the cards in need of? Bradford/Walker? If we could land Rasmus, Reyes, Garcia/Perez and Kozma/Martinez i would be extactic. I would include DCab and maybe someone else. I know they need a bat what about Payton or Scott? as much as i would hate giving him up and package of Scott and Sherrill would bring back a major haul.

From the St. Louis Dispatch today...

>>>CARDS EYE LEFTIES

The Cardinals' pursuit of a lefthanded reliever to fortify their bullpen has intensified as the club has expressed interest in Baltimore closer George Sherrill, sources said. Sherrill, an All-Star who has 29 saves and a 3.89 ERA for the Orioles, has drawn increased attention from several teams, including the Milwaukee Brewers.<<<

I still say that we could get two good players for Sherrill if we went the Milwaukee way whereas we could probably only get 1 good player back from St. Louis.

If we went with the Brewers, we may be able to pull Escobar (SS) and another arm. I still have faith that Reimold will solidify LF for us, meaning we would not need to go after Rasmus.

Rasmus is a pipe dream. He's one of the top 5 prospects in the game. Sherrill has almost 30 saves, but he doesn't have a 1.50-2.50 ERA like the better closers out there. He's at 3.89, which is actually average or below average for closers. No way we get Rasmus. But if MacPhail could pull that off I'd personally drive to the warehouse and buy him a Coke.

Rasmus is a pipe dream. He's one of the top 5 prospects in the game. Sherrill has almost 30 saves, but he doesn't have a 1.50-2.50 ERA like the better closers out there. He's at 3.89, which is actually average or below average for closers. No way we get Rasmus. But if MacPhail could pull that off I'd personally drive to the warehouse and buy him a Coke.

Than No Rasmus no Sherrill. I know its insane. But the Cards dont have much after Rasmus.

I agree. If the Cardinals offered Rasmus for Sherrill I would be shocked. That would be an easy decision for the Orioles.

Than No Rasmus no Sherrill. I know its insane. But the Cards dont have much after Rasmus.

I don't necessarily think that's true. A package starting with Martinez could interest the Orioles. I think it's premature to reject it out of hand before we even know what they might offer.

I dont think some people realize how good Rasmus is. This kid is going to be a star very very soon. Could you imagine a outfield of Kakes, Jones, and Rasmus. There is no doubt in my mind in 5 years it would be the best in baseball. We could pencil those three in for years to come. Rasmus could bat at the top or in the 3 hole. Think Carlos Beltran or Bobby Abreu in his prime. He is the total package. A star in the making. If we have a chance to get him i would hope AM would pull the trigger. If it means including a prospect or even another ready player we should do it.

Here is an article comparing him with Jay Bruce. As you can see its a very close call.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/2008/3/3/132913/6209

His official website

http://colby-rasmus.com/

I wouldnt be against including something else with Sherrill to get Rasmus.

We are selling VERY high with Sherrill right now.

I wonder what the price for Khalil Green was. If Reimold was included in that deal, getting Rasmus suddenly makes him very expendable.

Then if you can get Brandon Wood for Huff to play 3B

1. Roberts 2B

2. Weiters C

3. Markakis RF

4. Teixeira 1B

5. Scott DH

6. Jones CF

7. Green SS

8. Rasmus LF

9. Wood 3B

Thats my dream team

Why not trade Sherrill to Cards for Rasmus and Bradford to Brewers for Hall and a prospect? And than try and sign Hardy in the offseason as a FA?
B/c Hardy isn't a FA until after 2010.

I also don't think there is any chance we get Rasmus for Sherrill. Even though he's having a subpar year he's still probably a top-25 prospect.

Archived