Cardinals a good match with Orioles for Sherrill

Roll Tide

SG has been interested in Kozma, their 2007 first round pick, a 20 yr old SS prospect in A ball. He might be another Bordick type, excellent glove but not a ton of power. He's been on a tear in his past 10 games.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Peter%20Kozma&pos=SS&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=518902

Rasmus and Kozma for Sherrill might be doable...

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
B/c Hardy isn't a FA until after 2010.

I also don't think there is any chance we get Rasmus for Sherrill. Even though he's having a subpar year he's still probably a top-25 prospect.

Oops my bad. Years all run together with these guys.

What deal do you take?

Sherrill for Rasmus?

Sherrill for Escobar?

Sherrill for Hardy?

Sherrill + Bradford for Hardy + Weeks

I know none of these offers are probally on the table, but if they were what would to you take. Its always fun to speculate even if its way off base.

I personally would do Rasmus followed closely by Hardy actually those two are the deals i would do. I would pull the trigger on any of them. I would love to expand the deal and get Rasmus, and Kouzma/Reyes. Actually the cards may get really desperate and include one of Kouzma/Reyes just for Sherrill, but i would happley include a prospect or someone we want to part with to land one of Kouzma or Reyes ith Rasmus. Or include some young pitching and go after Gamel. I know its unlikely but its always fun to consider. If we could some how land one of Rasmus, Hardy, or Escobar just hink what t would do for this team and the fans. I know as a fan personally it would get me back to the yard. It would also make the Bedard trade go down in history as the biggest fleeshing of all time if its already not considered a lopsided deal.

Cards prospects

Colby Rasmus, CF 275/.381/.551 at Double-A (128 G)

The player with the highest upside in the system, exploded in 2007 by leading the Double-A Texas League in home runs with 29 despite not turning 21 until the latter part of the season.

The Good: On a pure tools level, Rasmus is an absolute monster. He added a good 10-15 pounds of solid muscle prior to the season, and it clearly paid off, as he added strength to what was already an extremely quick bat. He has excellent pitch recognition and a patient approach, and his plus speed makes him dangerous both on the basepaths and in the field, where he also has a very good arm. Perfect World Projection: An All-Star center fielder with the power and speed to hit leadoff or third.

Jose Martinez, SS .248/.285/.323 at High-A (62 G); .300/.339/.472 at Double-A (66 G)

One of the very rare Latin talents in this system, Martinez struggled initially at High-A, but found his groove following a promotion to the Texas League.

The Good: Scouts like what they see in Martinez's bat. He has outstanding hand-eye coordination, rarely swings and misses, and shows surprising pop for his size. In the field, he has outstanding fundamentals, and makes the play on any ball he gets to.

Jaime Garcia, LHP 3.75 ERA at Double-A (103.1-93-45-97)

Seen by some as the steal of the 2005 draft, Garcia continued to succeed, posting a good showing at Double-A before getting shut down with elbow problems.

The Good: Garcia is a ground-ball machine, utilizing an outstanding low-90s sinker that he fills the bottom of the strike zone with. He also throws a plus curveball that he likes to start in the strike zone and break out of it. He has an average changeup, and a good mound demeanor.

Tyler Herron, RHP 3.74 ERA at Low-A (137.1-123-26-130)

A first-round pick from 2005, Herron handled himself quite well in his full-season debut.

The Good: While Herron's arsenal grades out as average across the board, all of his pitches are marked up because of his remarkable control. His height gives him a good downward plane on a 89-92 mph fastball, and he effectively mixes in a good curveball and a solid changeup, while effortlessly filling all four quadrants of the strike zone with any of his offerings.

Peter Kozma, SS .154/.267/.154 at Rookie-level GCL (4 G); .254/.350/.396 at Rookie-level Appalachian (30 G); .148/.179/.222 at Short-season (8 G)

The first true high school shortstop selected in June had an inconsistent pro debut.

The Good: Kozma is an outstanding defensive shortstop with great instincts, good range to both sides, and an above-average arm. He employs a mature approach at the plate and works the count well, while featuring a smooth, quick swing that uses all fields and projects for gap power.

Clayton Mortensen, RHP 1.77 ERA at Short-season (20.1-13-11-23); 3.12 ERA at Low-A (40.1-44-8-45)

The year's fastest-rising college senior went from undrafted as a junior to the 36th overall pick after a breakout year at Gonzaga.

The Good: Following his pro debut, some Cardinals officials think Mortensen's sinker has already eclipsed Garcia's. The pitch sits at 89-93 mph, features heavy bite, and Mortensen commands it exceedingly well. His slider is a little on the soft side, but features nice two-plane break, and his delivery adds a bit of deception to both pitches.

Chris Perez, RHP 2.43 ERA at Double-A (40.2-17-28-62); 4.50 ERA at Triple-A (14-6-13-15)

Perez is a fast-moving closer who made up for control problems by limiting minor league hitters to a miniscule .130 batting average.

The Good: Perez has the stuff, demeanor, and intimidating physical presence to be a closer in the big leagues. His fastball sits at 93-95 mph and can touch 97 while featuring explosive late life. His slider is an absolute wipeout offering that he gets into the upper 80s and which features heavy two-plane break. He's cocky and fearless on the mound, and wants the ball at the end of the game.

I would take Rasmus & a minor league pitcher thats close.

SG has been interested in Kozma a 20 yr old SS prospect in A ball. He might be another Bordick type, excellent glove but not a ton of power. He's been on a tear in his past 10 games.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Peter%20Kozma&pos=SS&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=518902

Rasmus and Kozma for Sherrill might be doable...

I have a feeling we are about to encounter some Cards and Brewers fans to the OH. They may laugh at that deal.

Jose Martinez, SS .248/.285/.323 at High-A (62 G); .300/.339/.472 at Double-A (66 G)

One of the very rare Latin talents in this system, Martinez struggled initially at High-A, but found his groove following a promotion to the Texas League.

The Good: Scouts like what they see in Martinez's bat. He has outstanding hand-eye coordination, rarely swings and misses, and shows surprising pop for his size. In the field, he has outstanding fundamentals, and makes the play on any ball he gets to.

Jaime Garcia, LHP 3.75 ERA at Double-A (103.1-93-45-97)

Seen by some as the steal of the 2005 draft, Garcia continued to succeed, posting a good showing at Double-A before getting shut down with elbow problems.

The Good: Garcia is a ground-ball machine, utilizing an outstanding low-90s sinker that he fills the bottom of the strike zone with. He also throws a plus curveball that he likes to start in the strike zone and break out of it. He has an average changeup, and a good mound demeanor.

Tyler Herron, RHP 3.74 ERA at Low-A (137.1-123-26-130)

A first-round pick from 2005, Herron handled himself quite well in his full-season debut.

The Good: While Herron's arsenal grades out as average across the board, all of his pitches are marked up because of his remarkable control. His height gives him a good downward plane on a 89-92 mph fastball, and he effectively mixes in a good curveball and a solid changeup, while effortlessly filling all four quadrants of the strike zone with any of his offerings.

Chris Perez, RHP 2.43 ERA at Double-A (40.2-17-28-62); 4.50 ERA at Triple-A (14-6-13-15)

Perez is a fast-moving closer who made up for control problems by limiting minor league hitters to a miniscule .130 batting average.

The Good: Perez has the stuff, demeanor, and intimidating physical presence to be a closer in the big leagues. His fastball sits at 93-95 mph and can touch 97 while featuring explosive late life. His slider is an absolute wipeout offering that he gets into the upper 80s and which features heavy two-plane break. He's cocky and fearless on the mound, and wants the ball at the end of the game.

I would consider Martinez, Perez and one of Herron / Garcia for Sherrill.

I don't think Rasmus is a possibility, but stranger things have happened...like the Bedard deal...

I would consider Martinez, Perez and one of Herron / Garcia for Sherrill.

I don't think Rasmus is a possibility, but stranger things have happened...like the Bedard deal...

My guess is that Rasmus is precisely what MacPhail is after for Sherrill from the Cardinals as well as one of the SS prospects.

Acquiring Rasmus would make Reimold expendable to trade along with a pitcher in the offseason for say - JJ Hardy or Khalil Greene...

I'm drooling over Wieters, Markakis, Jones and Rasmus all in the same lineup. Keep Roberts and add Tex and that's a pretty darn good start.

My guess is that MacPhail is not targeting an A ball SS and that he needs a SS prospect much closer to the majors with that being the most glaring hole in our lineup. The Brewers fit better and I think have better prospects to offer. Starting with Escobar, if the O's could also get Gamel I don't see how St. Louis could beat that offer. I don't like what the Cardinals have to offer and feel the Brewers match up much better with our needs.

Lets see now, the Brewers are reportedly the most aggressive and Andy is now demanding 2 to 3 prospects which is incredible value and 1 of them has to pretty much be a SS. So already that means if Sherrill goes to the Brewers we're going to get Escobar + more and I like the sound of that. Possibly even Gamel and Escobar?

Settle down now...this aint happening for Sherrill alone.

Settle down now...this aint happening for Sherrill alone.

My guess is the Brewers will leverage talks dangling Gamel or Escobar to get the Cardinals to raise their offer to include Rasmus...

The Brewers don't really need Sherrill, where the Cardinals desperately need him.

Sorry but i hold on to Sherrill. I just don't think this team has enough pitching to trade Sherrill. I know he is BP but the starters can't go deep into the game. The team needs him. And yes i know this team is not going to sniff the playoffs anytime soon. I jsut they need to hold on to the pitchers. IMO

Archived