Cardinals a good match with Orioles for Sherrill

Roll Tide

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm almost positive that Andy Mac would have Rasmus involved but he refuses to do a straight up trade (as he should, we don't need him). They don't have the top SS prospect we're looking for and that is what we need most.

I wouldnt be against including something else with Sherrill to get Rasmus.

We are selling VERY high with Sherrill right now.

Is this even true? I mean, he's definitely among the saves leaders in the league, but his stats are pedestrian. Don't get me wrong, I like Sherrill and I want to see us get as much as possible for him. But look at some these ERAs for other closers:

K-Rod: 2.25

Papelbon: 2.34

Nathan: 1.11

Soria: 1.43

Rivera: 1.22

Wagner: 2.20

Wood: 3.02

Lidge: 1.10

Gregg: 2.49

Jenks: 1.89

It's certainly a good year to be a closer, that's for sure. Now, you could argue "well, those guys aren't available." And you would be right. In that respect, we may be able to get people to overpay. But statistically, Sherrill's 3.89 ERA and 1.42 WHIP are nothing to write home about. And certainly not enough to net a top 5 or top 10 prospect.

I'm almost positive that Andy Mac would have Rasmus involved but he refuses to do a straight up trade (as he should, we don't need him). They don't have the top SS prospect we're looking for and that is what we need most.

Kozma isn't exactly chopped liver...

I'd rather start discussions with Escobar over Rasmus. We don't need outfielders we need middle infielders first and foremost.

I agree...Escobar has more value to the O's than Rasmus even if Rasmus is going to be a "stud". Escobar has the potential to be a top 10 prospect with another solid year next season.

B/c Hardy isn't a FA until after 2010.

I also don't think there is any chance we get Rasmus for Sherrill. Even though he's having a subpar year he's still probably a top-25 prospect.

I agree whole-heartedly. I'd add that Rasmus is certainly a top 10 prospect, and possibly still top 5. Kozma may be doable, but I don't think Rasmus gets anywhere near the deal unless BAL is adding another significant piece. IF Kozma is available and BAL could get him included (I am just not sure how desperate STL is), I guess at an approx. package would be something like:

Kozma(SS)/Jess Todd(future RP)/Mark Hamilton(DH)

the "crazy" deal would be something like:

Sherrill/Roberts for

Rasmus(OF)/Kozma(SS)/Todd(future RP)/Hoffpauir(2b)/Hamilton(DH)

Of course that is probably way too much to try to get done in such little time.

Yes but he is also 2-3 years out from the big leagues where as Escobar could attend ST and possibly start next year. I don't think we're willing to gamble on a SS this far from the majors we need immediate relief at that position and Escobar could step right in. A 1-2 of Roberts/Escobar could be great.

I agree...Escobar has more value to the O's than Rasmus even if Rasmus is going to be a "stud". Escobar has the potential to be a top 10 prospect with another solid year next season.

I think the Brewers trade Gamel before they trade Escobar. I just see him as untouchable because of what they could get for Hardy in the offseason if they trade him.

Is this even true? I mean, he's definitely among the saves leaders in the league, but his stats are pedestrian. Don't get me wrong, I like Sherrill and I want to see us get as much as possible for him. But look at some these ERAs for other closers:

It's certainly a good year to be a closer, that's for sure. Now, you could argue "well, those guys aren't available." And you would be right. In that respect, we may be able to get people to overpay. But statistically, Sherrill's 3.89 ERA and 1.42 WHIP are nothing to write home about. And certainly not enough to net a top 5 or top 10 prospect.

There you go, bringing logic and stats into the thread. ;)

Dunno, I don't think they'll care because despite those numbers, he still finds a way to slam the door. Sherrill had a rough patch, but his value is still very high.

I don't think we'll be able to get Rasmus for him straight up, but I think we should add what it takes to get him. I'd package Reimold for him, too.

But, how many of those guys are already on contending teams and how many are available for a trade. Sherrill has value because he is the best of the available closers that is not a two-month rental. He can't become a free agent for 3 years and is a relatively cheap player that can close, set up or be a situaitonal lefty, depending on a teams needs. None of the other trade options fills all of those needs at such a low cost for such a long period of time. All of those things have value.

You guys are so wrong. Andy can get Rasmus for Sherrill already I'd bet. You are really selling GS short and underestimating the desperation of a close race between 3 teams in the NL. I think what is holding things up is the Card's lack of a close to MLB ready SS which is what the O's need more than anything.

There you go, bringing logic and stats into the thread. ;)

Dunno, I don't think they'll care because despite those numbers, he still finds a way to slam the door. Sherrill had a rough patch, but his value is still very high.

I don't think we'll be able to get Rasmus for him straight up, but I think we should add what it takes to get him. I'd package Reimold for him, too.

Yeah I mean the more I think about it - a 1.42 WHIP??? That's pretty awful for a reliever...!

Archived