Rich Dubroff: Joe Angel not returning.

weams

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Orioles fans have been fortunate enough to have either Chuck Thompson, Jon Miller, or Joe Angel (sometimes two of the 3) in the radio broadcast booth for at least some games in 55 of the past 57 seasons.    Each was great in his own way.   Heck, add Ernie Harwell to the list and we've had one of those four greats doing games in 61 of the team's 65 seasons.  

Whoever we hire (apparently on short notice) to take Joe's place will have some might big shoes to fill.

The Orioles have been very lucky for their radio talent, and tv talent too, mostly (looking at you, Reghi).  Don't have to look much further than the Nats crews to understand how fortunate we've been.  Their radio and tv announcers are terrible.  Bob Carpenter is about as boring as his name implies and FP Santangelo makes Joe Morgan look like a genius.  Charlie Slowes isn't too bad but nowhere near a Jon Miller/Joe Angel type.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Orioles fans have been fortunate enough to have either Chuck Thompson, Jon Miller, or Joe Angel (sometimes two of the 3) in the radio broadcast booth for at least some games in 55 of the past 57 seasons.    Each was great in his own way.   Heck, add Ernie Harwell to the list and we've had one of those four greats doing games in 61 of the team's 65 seasons.  

Whoever we hire (apparently on short notice) to take Joe's place will have some might big shoes to fill.

Gary Thorne. 

34 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

He didn't seem to be having much fun....even during the times he wasn't broadcasting with Hunter. 

Yeah...none of us were having any fun last season.  And being stuck in the booth for 9 innings with Hunter while doing play by play for terrible baseball is a surefire recipe for a terrible, terrible time.

Joe was a joy to listen to. His personality, his humor, his enthusiasm, his originality were perfect for not only radio - but for Baltimore.

I never listened to the O's on the radio until I got my first car at 16. Looking back, I can't help but smile. Getting in your own car and having the autonomy to go anywhere you wanted was such a magical feeling. It felt like the world was finally tangible and every journey - whether it was to school, work, a friend's house, a party, or a road trip - was an amazing experience. As a diehard Orioles fan, Joe Angel was always the soundtrack to all of that.

Throughout the years, Joe was always there. Driving is such a big part of our lives - and radio is consequently also a big part of our lives as a result. I can't even tell how many times I drove home late after a long day of work, flipped on the O's radio broadcast, and chuckled to Joe's humor. He was there, calling the game with his typical enthusiasm when I was driving home from some of the best days of my life and also some of my worst. He was a messenger of so many exciting times in 2012 when the O's were finally good for the first time in my lifetime. No matter what was going on, Joe was there, doing his thing. 

I'm struggling to even put what I'm trying to say into words - maybe its because I'm an overly sentimental person. But, Joe was always such a steady presence of what is good in the world. I'll miss hearing his voice on the radio. I hope he enjoys his retirement and I hopefully get the chance to thank him for his wonderful service to Orioles fans and Baltimore over the years.

Maybe they replace Angel with an analytical guy with a good spin rate.But Hunter and Bordick already put the spin on everything. I remember when the Orioles were real bad and on their way to another over 90 loss season and they win three games in a row..This is August and they were already out of the pennant race,Hunter goes "This may turn the Oriole season around ".

4 hours ago, theocean said:

Joe was a joy to listen to. His personality, his humor, his enthusiasm, his originality were perfect for not only radio - but for Baltimore.

I never listened to the O's on the radio until I got my first car at 16. Looking back, I can't help but smile. Getting in your own car and having the autonomy to go anywhere you wanted was such a magical feeling. It felt like the world was finally tangible and every journey - whether it was to school, work, a friend's house, a party, or a road trip - was an amazing experience. As a diehard Orioles fan, Joe Angel was always the soundtrack to all of that.

Throughout the years, Joe was always there. Driving is such a big part of our lives - and radio is consequently also a big part of our lives as a result. I can't even tell how many times I drove home late after a long day of work, flipped on the O's radio broadcast, and chuckled to Joe's humor. He was there, calling the game with his typical enthusiasm when I was driving home from some of the best days of my life and also some of my worst. He was a messenger of so many exciting times in 2012 when the O's were finally good for the first time in my lifetime. No matter what was going on, Joe was there, doing his thing. 

I'm struggling to even put what I'm trying to say into words - maybe its because I'm an overly sentimental person. But, Joe was always such a steady presence of what is good in the world. I'll miss hearing his voice on the radio. I hope he enjoys his retirement and I hopefully get the chance to thank him for his wonderful service to Orioles fans and Baltimore over the years.

Excellent post!

8 hours ago, scOtt said:

Works for some groups...

Actually, that is exactly the song that was in my mind when I made that point. I personally think that’s a very good song but it’s not their best by a wide margin but the same example applies to countless other songs that are drivel.

25 minutes ago, Philip said:

Actually, that is exactly the song that was in my mind when I made that point. I personally think that’s a very good song but it’s not their best by a wide margin but the same example applies to countless other songs that are drivel.

Well, if McCartney had listened to his father, it would have been "yes" because "yeah, yeah, yeah" was too "American." ✌️  Yesterday was exactly 55 years since the Sullivan show, and "She Loves You"

55 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Well, if McCartney had listened to his father, it would have been "yes" because "yeah, yeah, yeah" was too "American." ✌️  Yesterday was exactly 55 years since the Sullivan show, and "She Loves You"

I read the incredible volume one of the Mark Lewisohn Beatles bio when it came out, but on a whim, I started  rereading the updated '68 Hunter Davies book this month. By chance yesterday, I ended the chapter that's when they are preparing to leave England for the U.S.  Last night the girls and I watched the Complete Beatles Ed Sullivan Show performances DVD (commercials and other guests included). I got to see The Ed Sullivan Theatre in '93 and '94  at the start of David Letterman's run there (was at two tapings). It felt like at the time the most important and relevant place in my life (as a musician) that I'd ever visited. 

3 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

For some reason, I always switch to the German version of that song, and of course, they say, “Ja”

Remember, when you’re a genius, you can break all the rules you wish and still be a genius. And they were definitely a quartet of geniuses.

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

For some reason, I always switch to the German version of that song, and of course, they say, “Ja”

Remember, when you’re a genius, you can break all the rules you wish and still be a genius. And they were definitely a quartet of geniuses.

You just made Ringo's day.

On 2/9/2019 at 10:12 AM, Beef Supreme said:

I hated his weird mispronunciation of "rah-DREEEEEE-gez." He tortured the name, "Rodriguez," at every opportunity. Native Spanish speakers pronounce the name more like, "rud-REE-ges."

Angel is a native Spanish speaker. He was born in Colombia and didn't speak English until he was nine.

Archived