Rich Dubroff: Joe Angel not returning.

weams

10 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

I have been known to sit and wait in my car before getting out to where I’m going   when the grouchy oldtimer Bob calls in to The Fan.  He starts out calm and gets worked up by the end of the call in. Classic radio, in my opinion. 

Yup, every call is calm to irate in 60 seconds.  Love me some Bob from Parkville.  

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

I think Jim Hunter will do most of the games and a new announcer will be hired to do the rest. 

Well Gary won't do 162 on TV either, so either Hunter slides over for TV some too as he has in the past, or we hire someone else to do a bunch of TV play by play games.

I'd say we need at least 60 games covered for TV and radio, as I don't see Hunter or Thorne doing much more than 130 each (and don't think they have in past years).

On 2/11/2019 at 2:08 PM, Hank Scorpio said:

I'll never forget growing up listening to games - we had an intercom system in the house with a centralized tuner in the kitchen. After dinner and before bed, I would go around to everyone's rooms and make sure their speakers were turned all the way down. Then right before I went to sleep I would make sure the dial (yes, the dial) was tuned to 1280AM and I'd slog on up to bed and turn mine all the way down until after Mom had come to tuck me in. Then I'd close the door almost all the way and settle in for the game. I loved Jon Miller and Tom Marr, but when Miller & Angel called games together it was really something special. I'd guess I was probably 11-12 years old at that point.

Thanks Joe!!!!!

On 2/11/2019 at 2:54 PM, TonySoprano said:

All I had was a transistor radio

I had a little battery-powered transistor radio I'd put under my pillow and turn all the way down, too.  No headphones, but I remember having that single earbud for a while.  I didn't have my little radio for the Lenn Sakata game for some reason and had to strain to hear what was going on from the clock-radio my parents were listening to in their bedroom.

It's weird that you still hear the term "transistor radio" since I think the last tube or crystal radio commercially offered that wasn't part of a science project or an effort to become an audiophile hipster was in the 1960s.  I'd guess a lot of radios today, like the ones built into phones or mp3 players, are software-defined radios.  Yes, they have thousands of transistors but not anything like the designs that were originally called transistor radios with transistor-based phase-locked-loop circuitry.

We should have a contest - listen to all 162 games with Hunter doing play-by-play on a crystal radio you build from a kit.  The hardest part would probably be finding an AM station that carries the O's and hearing what was going on through all the noise.

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I had a little battery-powered transistor radio I'd put under my pillow and turn all the way down, too.  No headphones, but I remember having that single earbud for a while.  I didn't have my little radio for the Lenn Sakata game for some reason and had to strain to hear what was going on from the clock-radio my parents were listening to in their bedroom.

It's weird that you still hear the term "transistor radio" since I think the last tube or crystal radio commercially offered that wasn't part of a science project or an effort to become an audiophile hipster was in the 1960s.  I'd guess a lot of radios today, like the ones built into phones or mp3 players, are software-defined radios.  Yes, they have thousands of transistors but not anything like the designs that were originally called transistor radios with transistor-based phase-locked-loop circuitry.

We should have a contest - listen to all 162 games with Hunter doing play-by-play on a crystal radio you build from a kit.  The hardest part would probably be finding an AM station that carries the O's and hearing what was going on through all the noise.

Some of my favorite Christmas presents in the early 70s were transistor radios. Having music that was portable then seemed like the key to the universe. I built a crystal radio from a kit a few years back. It tickled me to death that the first thing I heard on it was Merle Haggard’s “Working Man Blues” on a tiny AM station. 

Speaking of static on the radio, when WBAL had the O’s games, I remember driving in my car during the ‘96 playoffs (I had no TV at the time - this was in North Carolina) and making turns on the road based on what gave me the best reception. I could actually get that station faintly about sunset. When WTOP in DC carried the games, reception was even better.  I also remember taking walks and getting late afternoon games (albeit static filled) when I was walking on a hill, but not at the bottom of the hill. To this day, I’ll tune in to a static filled AM station when on a long late night drive because some of those Coast to Coast shows are fascinating. And so are just the local homegrown broadcasts as I’m passing through a rural area. 

5 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Some of my favorite Christmas presents in the early 70s were transistor radios. Having music that was portable then seemed like the key to the universe. I built a crystal radio from a kit a few years back. It tickled me to death that the first thing I heard on it was Merle Haggard’s “Working Man Blues” on a tiny AM station. 

Speaking of static on the radio, when WBAL had the O’s games, I remember driving in my car during the ‘96 playoffs (I had no TV at the time - this was in North Carolina) and making turns on the road based on what gave me the best reception. I could actually get that station faintly about sunset. When WTOP carried the games, reception was even better.  I also remember taking walks and getting late afternoon games (albeit static filled) when I was walking on a hill, but not at the bottom of the hill. To this day, I’ll tune in to a static filled AM station when on a long late night drive because some of those Coast to Coast shows are fascinating. And so are just the local homegrown broadcasts as I’m passing through a rural area. 

A friend of mine living in upstate NY in the 70's used to take his canoe out into Skaneateles Lake with a six pack and listen to O's games.  He didn't fish - just sat there relaxing and listening to Chuck T.  He now lives across from OPACY and has season tix to both O's and Ravens.  He's a dreamer.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

It's odd that we haven't heard anything about this yet with spring games fast approaching.

When do the Orioles do anything fast? One of seven teams that have not put single game tickets on sale. One of about four teams that have not listed their promotion schedule yet.For what it is worth,Joe Angel is still listed on the Oriole website as one of the radio announcers. 

Joe Angel showed up on Roch Kubatko's and Jim Hunter's Hot Stove Show on 105.7 and made it official that he is retiring. With no mention of doing any games at all this year. He said he has been talking to the O's about retiring for several months, so apparently this was not a surprise to anyone.

Jim Hunter started to cry on the air - so I guess Joe angel is a helluva guy.

Joe did say that if he ever ends up in Cooperstown in the Broadcaster wing that he would have sure that his plaque had an Orioles hat.

11 minutes ago, Carllamy said:

Joe Angel showed up on Roch Kubatko's and Jim Hunter's Hot Stove Show on 105.7 and made it official that he is retiring. With no mention of doing any games at all this year. He said he has been talking to the O's about retiring for several months, so apparently this was not a surprise to anyone.

Jim Hunter started to cry on the air - so I guess Joe angel is a helluva guy.

Joe did say that if he ever ends up in Cooperstown in the Broadcaster wing that he would have sure that his plaque had an Orioles hat.

I officially miss Joe.    And it would be cool if he made it to Cooperstown.     How many broadcasters are in there, anyway?

19 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Look at what the Red Sox are doing with their radio here   

https://weei.radio.com/articles/column/media-column-reimer-red-sox-radio-booth-will-feature-sean-mcdonough-and-chris-berman

Chris Berman in the mix. 

Wow, as if the Red Sox franchise needed to get more annoying.  Or did someone finally tell Berman to cut it out with the back-back-back-back-back-back-back-back-back and the nicknames?

Archived