Rich Dubroff: Joe Angel not returning.

weams

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Carllamy said:

Joe Angel showed up on Roch Kubatko's and Jim Hunter's Hot Stove Show on 105.7 and made it official that he is retiring. With no mention of doing any games at all this year. He said he has been talking to the O's about retiring for several months, so apparently this was not a surprise to anyone.

Jim Hunter started to cry on the air - so I guess Joe angel is a helluva guy.

Joe did say that if he ever ends up in Cooperstown in the Broadcaster wing that he would have sure that his plaque had an Orioles hat.

Retiring.

We'll miss you Joe!

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Before we have a big controversy, it looks like most of the Frick recipients are bare-headed and nobody has a logo:

spaceout.gif265515833_0e0aa52a99_m.jpg

I listened to the interview last night.    It was just his way of saying that though he broadcasted for several different teams, he’ll alwsys think of himself as an Oriole.    

As to whether Angel could ever get the Frick award, it’s hard to say.   The award didn’t start until 1979.   It now rotated every three years between a local broadcaster, a national broadcaster, and a broadcaster from the distant past. So, Angel’s only eligible once every three years.    He has to compete with both TV and radio guys.    He was in the business 42 years, so that is a very long time and he certainly could have a shot, but I don’t think he has quite the reputation of Chuck Thompson or Jon Miller, both of whom also broadcasted here and have already won the award.    There’s probably quite a few cities that don’t yet have a Frick award winner so it would be hard to give a third one to a broadcaster with Baltimore ties (though Miller isn’t associated primarily with Baltimore at this point).     

By the way, listening to the interview I got the impression — though Angel didn’t exactly say this — that there was something more to this than just a straight decision to retire.    He said he and the Orioles “mutually agreed” that he would retire, and he thought it was “for the best.”

I am speculating here that Angel didn’t want to go full-time anymore, there were discussions about Angel staying involved on a reduced schedule but the parties couldn’t come to terms so Angel just retired.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

By the way, listening to the interview I got the impression — though Angel didn’t exactly say this — that there was something more to this than just a straight decision to retire.    He said he and the Orioles “mutually agreed” that he would retire, and he thought it was “for the best.”

I am speculating here that Angel didn’t want to go full-time anymore, there were discussions about Angel staying involved on a reduced schedule but the parties couldn’t come to terms so Angel just retired.

Which is fine, if true. It doesn't need to be some big controversy or anything. Guy had a great run.

“I feel great about it. After 42 years of doing that, I think that’s enough. I think I’ve had my time. I think it’s a good idea to let a young guy have a chance to do what I’ve done for 42 years. The Orioles have been fantastic. This is something that has been in the works for several months. We finally came to the point where both the Orioles and I agreed this was a good time to say goodbye. I’m looking forward to it. I don’t know what it feels like yet, but I can’t wait to find out. I’m going to miss all of it. But I think it’s time.

When the game starts, you try to talk to one person. If you do that, you talk to a lot of people at the same time. All the great comments on Twitter and the Internet and the phone calls that I’ve heard, it’s been flattering. It’s a reminder how people feel about you and it’s humbling. I’m going to miss the everyday communication and the banter, but I think it’s time and I think it’s good for everyone concerned.”

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/02/after-19-years-in-the-booth-joe-angel-had-a-classy-goodbye-for-os-fans.html

What a cool quote. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is something that has been in the works for several months. We finally came to the point where both the Orioles and I agreed this was a good time to say goodbye. 

This was the part that made me think it was slightly more complicated than Angel just making a decision to retire.    But it certainly doesn’t appear he was pushed out the door.    I’m happy for the guy and hope he’ll pop in for an appearance sometime this year.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This was the part that made me think it was slightly more complicated than Angel just making a decision to retire.    But it certainly doesn’t appear he was pushed out the door.    I’m happy for the guy and hope he’ll pop in for an appearance sometime this year.   

Sure. I think the big takeaway here is that Joe wants to exit on good terms, and he went all in on praising the Orioles when saying goodbye. If folks want to create drama, they can feel free I suppose, but Joe wants a classy exit and that's how I'm going to view it because that's what he wants. It seems to me that there's enough of his own hesitance about continuing here to basically throw out any controversy. The guy is ok with hanging it up. 

Anyway, it's going to be an interesting piecemeal kind of season with Melewski for 16 games and some ex-Orioles joining the broadcast it seems. That's at least more interesting than Hunter and Bordick all season. 

26 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sure. I think the big takeaway here is that Joe wants to exit on good terms, and he went all in on praising the Orioles when saying goodbye. If folks want to create drama, they can feel free I suppose, but Joe wants a classy exit and that's how I'm going to view it because that's what he wants. It seems to me that there's enough of his own hesitance about continuing here to basically throw out any controversy. The guy is ok with hanging it up. 

Anyway, it's going to be an interesting piecemeal kind of season with Melewski for 16 games and some ex-Orioles joining the broadcast it seems. That's at least more interesting than Hunter and Bordick all season. 

I’m a little wary of Melewski in the broadcast booth.    He does a good job reporting on the minor leagues, but I don’t see him as a broadcaster.    We’ll see.    

I say put Roy Firestone in there!

51 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I put this on a wrong thread before, so am putting it here.

I guess Jim Hunter will be main radio play by play announcer.  Maybe Steve Melewski will be anchor. Who do you think would be better out there?  I miss Chuck Thompson the best ever. 

Clearly there will be a new hire.  Someone in another thread heard that a guy named Kevin Brown (not the former pitcher) might get the job.

27 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Clearly there will be a new hire.  Someone in another thread heard that a guy named Kevin Brown (not the former pitcher) might get the job.

I’m guessing they know who it is, but will wait a couple of days to announce it so that Joe Angel can get his due thanks from the public.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I thought the same thing.  

Archived