Rich Dubroff: Joe Angel not returning.

weams

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Does anyone remember Rick Cerrone?  Neither did I, but, FWIW, wikipedia lists him in 1998 paired up with Reg-hi.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Baltimore_Orioles_broadcasters

Yeah I do. Very forgettable. TBH I generally feel the color guy should have ties with the team or community and I think that’s why Palmer and Brother Low and Brooks before him are so well liked. Having personality helps too. I don’t dislike Bordick but he while he has legit O’s ties isn’t the most energetic guy.

13 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:
18 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Mel Proctor and John Lowenstein on HTS.  That was something special.

I love Mel Proctor, gosh you must be 100 years old. And I thought Jon Lowenstein was hilarious. I don’t remember him very much as a radio guy, however. But he always gave a great interview as a player.

8 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

Yeah I do. Very forgettable. TBH I generally feel the color guy should have ties with the team or community and I think that’s why Palmer and Brother Low and Brooks before him are so well liked. Having personality helps too. I don’t dislike Bordick but he while he has legit O’s ties isn’t the most energetic guy.

I hate Mike Bordick, he epitomizes almost everything I hate about radio guys. His voice isn’t bad but his vocal inflections are terrible and I think he contributes nothing at all to the broadcast.

28 minutes ago, Philip said:

A lot of radio guys sound like Stephen Hawking. Whoever we get needs to have a good voice, be emotionally involved, Effectively describe not just the action, but the strategy, and provide history and anecdotes as well. The Rangers’ Eric Nadel is probably my favorite all-time radio announcer. He’s a brilliant baseball historian, quite funny, and has an excellent radio voice. I also enjoy Gary Thorne quite a bit as well, And I would frankly rather have him on radio that on TV.

I don’t care who they bring in, as long as it’s a radio guy, who knows how to BE a radio guy. Remember we’re listening to the guy, and not just the game.

That's the reasons I like Thorn so much. Him and Palmer have a great rapport. Gary even makes (has mentored...) Bordick to where he's tolerable.

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

I hate Mike Bordick, he epitomizes almost everything I hate about radio guys. His voice isn’t bad but his vocal inflections are terrible and I think he contributes nothing at all to the broadcast.

I tolerate Bordick as an announcer because I respect his baseball knowledge. Especially analyzing defensive plays, little things the defenders did that make a great play look easy. Plus he's involved with the team still. Pitches BP and work with the infielders some.

ALL former players get a Get Out Of Jail Free card with me. Except for that idiot for the White Sox. Ugh!

25 minutes ago, Philip said:

I do wish he were more insightful. He’s far from my least favorite but he doesn’t really stand out either. He’s just textbook middle of the road but we all have different things we like/dislike in broadcasters.

17 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I tolerate Bordick as an announcer because I respect his baseball knowledge. Especially analyzing defensive plays, little things the defenders did that make a great play look easy. Plus he's involved with the team still. Pitches BP and work with the infielders some.

ALL former players get a Get Out Of Jail Free card with me. Except for that idiot for the White Sox. Ugh!

Harrelson thankfully retired but yeah he’s awful.

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Both you and weams with his quotation marks are suggesting in this thread that it is something other then retirement. We'll see but it's irresponsible at this stage especially when he himself said he could see himself hanging it up at 71.

It's always gotta be drama around here. Stop.

You stop. The article clarified nothing. Other than he will not be back. I have no idea if Joe will work elsewhere or if he really is hanging it up. For whatever reason. 

20 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

I do wish he were more insightful. He’s far from my least favorite but he doesn’t really stand out either. He’s just textbook middle of the road but we all have different things we like/dislike in broadcasters.

Although it is as a singer, I had a lot of vocal coaching, so I understand “performance voice”

Mike Bordick sounds fake. The best announcers are those who have expressive voices and come across as sincere. Bordick always sounds fake; fake enthusiasm, fake disappointment fake emotion.

and not just fake, but misplaced. He feigns excitement for weird things that reinforce the idea that he’s faking it. Drives me nuts. I love listening on the radio. Even if I’m watching TV I’ll turn up the radio( sorry Gary) but Bordick is terrible.

I care about what people say, but I actually care more about how they say it. An interesting orator could recite the phonebook and keep me interested.

As an example, go to YouTube and look up a live in character Recitation of the Kipling poem, “the ballad of the Mary Gloster.”

Then, for comparison, look up any one of the thousands of versions of the poem “high flight”

I like both very much, but they are both actually pretty weak poems, but one is riveting and the other, you probably won’t get through.

4 hours ago, weams said:

It figures. The year I drop MASN from my extra sports satellite package to save money, thinking "but I get to hear the magnificent Joe" and now he's retired. The long season just got longer for me.

Archived