How good can the 2019 Orioles be?

jrobb21613

Most have already wrote this season off as being another 100 loss season. I on the other hand believe that with the right coaching this team can be much better than many expect.

If Hyde and the rest of the coaching staff motivate these young guys and do what good coaches do which is get the best out of their players how good can the 2019 Orioles be? 

I say we flirt with .500 finishing just shy at 79-83.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jrobb21613 said:

Most have already wrote this season off as being another 100 loss season. I on the other hand believe that with the right coaching this team can be much better than many expect.

If Hyde and the rest of the coaching staff motivate these young guys and do what could coaches do which is get the best out of their players how good can the 2019 Orioles be? 

I say they flirt with 60 wins and fall just a bit short.

9 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I have to be with CoC on this one. Even if we can stitch together a non-terrible pitching staff, I don't see where the runs come from. If anyone has a great first half, they're likely to get traded.

So what you are saying is we are basically a minor league team. If you do well you get promoted.

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I have to be with CoC on this one. Even if we can stitch together a non-terrible pitching staff, I don't see where the runs come from. If anyone has a great first half, they're likely to get traded.

But what if it’s the young guys that are over performing? Their not going to get traded. Yes Cobb, Cashner, Trumbo, maybe Givens but what if the young arms that replace them live up to or exceed expectations. There is young talent inside this organization. It’s up to the coaching staff to get the best out of them. I like Hyde and our staff and think they’re more than capable of doing exactly that.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

they will not be in last place in the AL East.

Now that's bold. I think the reason they won't reach 65 wins is because of the division. If they were in the Central I think they'd have a chance.

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Giggitty.

I made a statement before and I'm sticking with it...

They will not lose 100 games and they will not be in last place in the AL East.

i dunno man.  Sox, MFYs are loaded.  Tampa won 90 last year.  The Jays won 73.  

The O's are simply stepping up to get smacked down this year.  If we can stay out of last place, it'll be a fun summer even if the Orioles somehow end up winning 75 games or something.  

I just don't see how it happens.

I think they're anywhere between 55-59 wins.  Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they have another season like last year though.  

12 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

If Hyde and the rest of the coaching staff motivate these young guys and do what good coaches do which is get the best out of their players how good can the 2019 Orioles be? 

I guess one way to frame this is what's the 90% case for the whole roster?  I think the 50% case is 60 wins, give or take.  But, what happens if 80 or 90% of everything goes right?

Bundy could go 220 innings with a 3.25.
Trumbo could hit .275 with 30 homers and approach 2 wins above replacement.
Mancini could have a 3-win season.
Davis could somehow climb back to his 2017 glories and be replacement level.
Jonathan Villar could have something approaching his 4-win 2016.
Givens could throw 65 innings of a 2.00.
Nunez continues to hit better in the majors than he did in the minors.
Cashner somehow has an ERA under 5.00. 
Cobb throws 180 innings to a 3.25.

I think they could win 75, maybe 80.  That would be like 1989 all over again.  Just so long as all the overachivers aren't traded between June and July.

1 minute ago, LTO's said:

Now that's bold. I think the reason they won't reach 65 wins is because of the division. If they were in the Central I think they'd have a chance.

They played the Rays and Blue Jays really well last season towards the end, when they had a lot of the new guys. They also had a few mistakes against the Red Sox and Yankees that cost them. If they clean those up, I could see them taking a few more games.

Of course, I'm not going to predict complete 4 game sweeps...I'm dumb, but not stupid. ?

23 minutes ago, atomic said:

So what you are saying is we are basically a minor league team. If you do well you get promoted.

Essentially, yes. 

13 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

But what if it’s the young guys that are over performing? Their not going to get traded. Yes Cobb, Cashner, Trumbo, maybe Givens but what if the young arms that replace them live up to or exceed expectations. There is young talent inside this organization. It’s up to the coaching staff to get the best out of them. I like Hyde and our staff and think they’re more than capable of doing exactly that.

There's always a chance. There are a few young guys who could perform great and not get traded. The most likely guys IMO, will play much of the year in the minors and won't even have a chance. 

I think we'll be something like 55-107 this year. 

First of all, I’ve been a fan long enough to know that sometimes a team surprises you.    1989 and 2012 being two great examples.   

That said, the veteran players on this team are, as a group, not very good, and our best young players for the most part aren’t ready to contribute in the majors.    I think we win 55-60 games, because it’s damned hard to win fewer than that even though we managed to do it last year.   

What I’m really looking for this year is to identify some nuggets who can be part of the core of our next good team.    

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

First of all, I’ve been a fan long enough to know that sometimes a team surprises you.    1989 and 2012 being two great examples.   

That said, the veteran players on this team are, as a group, not very good, and our best young players for the most part aren’t ready to contribute in the majors.    I think we win 55-60 games, because it’s damned hard to win fewer than that even though we managed to do it last year.   

What I’m really looking for this year is to identify some nuggets who can be part of the core of our next good team.    

Exactly.  This year will go a long way toward telling us just how long and dark this rebuild will be.  I don't really care at all about wins and losses, and am only focused on how the young players in the organization progress under new tutelage.

But for the record, I'll say 58 wins.

Archived