2080Baseball: Org Review

weams

46 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

To support your overall perspective, wildcard, Hays certainly did rake prior to last year. There's plenty of reason to hope that his bat is much better than he showed last year.

I guess seeing so many people who are down on him, relative to how they were two years ago, makes me think that they believe more in what they saw last year. 

There is a significant difference the way most players perform when they are injured from when they are healthy.    If some people don't want to believe that its at their own peril in their projections.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Hays’ poor performance in the majors in 2017 worries me more than his lackluster, injury plagued 2018.    He is a potential impact player, but there’s significant risk involved.  

There is significant risk with most prospects.  There are no guarantees.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

There is significant risk with most prospects.  There are no guarantees.

True.    Some are riskier than others.    Interestingly, 2080 lists Diaz as “high” risk while Hays is only “moderate” risk.   I’m not sure I agree with that assessment.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

True.    Some are riskier than others.    Interestingly, 2080 lists Diaz as “high” risk while Hays is only “moderate” risk.   I’m not sure I agree with that assessment.   

Between that and talking about how hyper-aggresive Diaz is it makes me wonder if they have the two confused to some extent.

On 2/15/2019 at 4:47 PM, Frobby said:

On 2/15/2019 at 4:51 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Between that and talking about how hyper-aggresive Diaz is it makes me wonder if they have the two confused to some extent.

Risk is tied to certainty in projected grade, so a 50 moderate doesn't mean he's less likely to "bust", it just means that there is greater certainty that 50 is the true outcome grade. 55 high would leave room for up to a full downgrade on the grade depending on stated factors. 

On 2/15/2019 at 3:19 PM, Frobby said:

Hays’ poor performance in the majors in 2017 worries me more than his lackluster, injury plagued 2018.    He is a potential impact player, but there’s significant risk involved.  

I give Hays a pass for 2018. It finally came out that he was battling that weird cyst last year. He was playing on a swollen ankle last year with a huge cyst, that caused swelling and a bone bruise, that caused a hole in his cartilage, that eventually led to a fracture.  Let’s just hope no long term damage was done.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/12/with-ankle-injury-healing-austin-hays-should-get-back-on-the-radar-in-2019.html

“It was just kind of a gradual thing that all came about through some cartilage damage that I’ve had in my ankle,” he said. “The cartilage started causing some bone bruising. In my ankle joint, two bones were hitting that cartilage that shouldn’t be hitting anything. That caused some fluid and some swelling, and that caused the cyst that I’ve had. And the cyst caused the bone bruise and the bone bruise made my ankle soften, and where it softened was eventually where it fractured. So it was just a gradual thing that happened over time the more I played on it. It was really an out-of-the-blue thing that came out of nowhere.”

Archived