Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

2 hours ago, weams said:

Is he? I'm uncertain that he is giving the full effort that he gave to baseball during the time that he "earned" that contract. 

Just trying to temper the urge to start referring to him personally as a train wreck, dumpster fire and all the other names we both know are beginning to become commonplace.

I'm beyond frustrated watching him come to the plate game after game.  If what you believe turns out to be even a little true, you won't hear another word out of me in his defense.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Just trying to temper the urge to start referring to him personally as a train wreck, dumpster fire and all the other names we both know are beginning to become commonplace.

I'm beyond frustrated watching him come to the plate game after game.  If what you believe turns out to be even a little true, you won't hear another word out of me in his defense.

Very good points. All commendable. 

1 hour ago, Natty said:

So the team wants to let the new young guys play...Except Davis keeps being in the lineup, for what? If the answer is money, that's pitiful. 

I think they're giving him every opportunity to prove he still deserves a place in the lineup and will continue to do so for the rest of the season.  If he continues to be this bad, then I think it's very possible they cut him sometime next season if not during the offseason.  

So if that's the case, yeah the answer is money, but not in the sense I think you mean it.  CD gets paid regardless.  Ownership wants to know if there's any alternative to writing off that large a sum of money.  Understandable.  It's a LOT of money.

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

I agree. I was brash about calling people out on this stuff before. You put it much better than I. 

I just think he should retire.  Work out a deal with the Orioles to get some percentage of the salary owed until the end of the contract in exchange for him walking away early.  I'm not advocating for Bobby Bonilla ridiculousness but if the Orioles can piss away 3 million for Tillman this year and another 3 million for Colby Rasmus, they can give Davis something similar to NOT play until the contract is over or something.  

Now there's no incentive for him to do that, obviously he's going to be interested in getting the full amount of that contract.  But I just can't imagine being so terrible at my job, I'm hoping personal pride gets in the way somehow.  If I was that bad at my job and was well aware of it and my company gave me a large sum of money to just not come back for 3 or 4 years, I'd be inclined to listen.

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

I think they're giving him every opportunity to prove he still deserves a place in the lineup and will continue to do so for the rest of the season.  If he continues to be this bad, then I think it's very possible they cut him sometime next season if not during the offseason.  

So if that's the case, yeah the answer is money, but not in the sense I think you mean it.  CD gets paid regardless.  Ownership wants to know if there's any alternative to writing off that large a sum of money.  Understandable.  It's a LOT of money.

I also think that once rosters expand, we'll see less Davis and more Mancini at 1B while the try out some younger outfielders.  I'm 100% positive that they will expect him to be better in 2019 (because how could he be worse), and won't cut him unless he actually is worse than this year.

51 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Now there's no incentive for him to do that, obviously he's going to be interested in getting the full amount of that contract.  But I just can't imagine being so terrible at my job, I'm hoping personal pride gets in the way somehow.

Only chance I could kinda sorta see that working is if your buyout offer is so high, like 80% of his remaining salary, that it almost forces him to stop humiliating himself. When you factor in taxes and fees, that's barely over 10 million that he'd be "losing." Does he really want to be a laughingstock for the next four years over that amount?

If he won't budge, would call Miami and tell them we'll take Chen and Prado for Davis and whatever cash difference. Throw in a prospect you're not sold on if need be.

Both of these scenarios are probably long shots though. Hire a new hitting coach. See if anything changes going into next season. If it's more of the same, will just need to bite the bullet at that point.

58 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Only chance I could kinda sorta see that working is if your buyout offer is so high, like 80% of his remaining salary, that it almost forces him to stop humiliating himself. 

If he would take 80% of his salary, the O's would have already done it. THink about it - they owe him  $17M per year for the next 4 years, then $42M in deferred money after that.  That's $110M - If they agreed to an 80% buyout, the O's would save $22M.  A no brainer.  That's more than half of what they saved buy trading away their best players.

The big question is would Davis do it?

Settlement: Between the 4 years at 17 mil and the 15 years of deferred money at a total payout of 42 mil, he is owed  $110  mil over a combined 19 years. I do not think he and or Scott Boras will allow he to take less.

Offer: 110 mil by 19 yrs = 5.789 mil per yr for 19 years. 

As a bonus I would offer 5.8 mil a yr. It would give him a xtra 

200.000 over 19 yrs.

2 minutes ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

Settlement: Between the 4 years at 17 mil and the 15 years of deferred money at a total payout of 42 mil, he is owed  $110  mil over a combined 19 years. I do not think he and or Scott Boras will allow he to take less.

Offer: 110 mil by 19 yrs = 5.789 mil per yr for 19 years. 

As a bonus I would offer 5.8 mil a yr. It would give him a xtra 

200.000 over 19 yrs.

Boras isn't the boss, Boras is the employee.

He only has what power the player gives him.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Agents work for the player.

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Boras isn't the boss, Boras is the employee.

He only has what power the player gives him.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Agents work for the player.

Has Boras already been paid his commission in full, or does he get paid as Davis gets paid?  If it's the latter, then Boras has a say although Davis theoretically could just write him a check to make him whole then tell him to go away.

Sports agents as malevolent and dictatorial makes for better fiction and it seems that the message is now taken more seriously in the real world than it should.  In fairness, Boras doesn't let too many opportunities to reinforce that notion pass by.

Archived