Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

11 minutes ago, weams said:

Not true. I think it is not that way at all. 

Well, you may be right. I don't know. But his presence is there and maybe his sons want to protect him a little bit by hanging onto Davis longer than we'd want to. UItimately, I 100% believe they will cut him eventually. But we can't know the human things that are considered behind the scenes, regardless of who is control person.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

There is NO CHANCE that Elias would want a sub-replacement level Davis on his 40 man roster next offseason.  If he's there it is because ownership if forcing the issue.

That means that Elias doesn't have the freedom he said he did when he was hired.

It is exactly that simple.

How much money Davis is owed doesn't change that.

This is an interesting argument, but academic until we see how Davis does and how management responds.    

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well, you may be right. I don't know. But his presence is there and maybe his sons want to protect him a little bit by hanging onto Davis longer than we'd want to. UItimately, I 100% believe they will cut him eventually. But we can't know the human things that are considered behind the scenes, regardless of who is control person.

Maybe. I have no knowledge of how the Angelos family is handling Peter's illness. Not his legacy. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

image.png.8021c4e8ee9392d457b86880fad60731.png

I don't think this is accurate.  I have no idea how Elias views sunken payroll or if it is a blessing to allow for no additional monies to be spent and MLB/MLBPA having no ability to complain

Davis counts against the payroll if he is on the team or not.

Replacing Davis on the 25 man costs the league minimum.

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The Sox cut Sandoval real quick.  They weren't messing around.

Yeah, pretty quick I guess.   He was 2.5 years into a 5 year deal.   First year was -0.9 rWAR, second year was -0.2 rWAR in just a handful of games due to injury, third year was -1.0 rWAR in less than half a season, also interrupted by some injuries.  

Davis was well in positive territory in 2016, -0.1 rWAR in 2017 (so better than any of Sandoval’s time with the Red Sox), then a disastrous -2.8 rWAR last year.    I’d say cutting him at midseason this year would be about equivalent to what the Sox did with Sandoval    

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, pretty quick I guess.   He was 2.5 years into a 5 year deal.   First year was -0.9 rWAR, second year was -0.2 rWAR in just a handful of games due to injury, third year was -1.0 rWAR in less than half a season, also interrupted by some injuries.  

Davis was well in positive territory in 2016, -0.1 rWAR in 2017 (so better than any of Sandoval’s time with the Red Sox), then a disastrous -2.8 rWAR last year.    I’d say cutting him at midseason this year would be about equivalent to what the Sox did with Sandoval    

How much did the Sox eat on Sandoval? As much as we'd eat with Davis this mid season?

6 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

How much did the Sox eat on Sandoval? As much as we'd eat with Davis this mid season?

No, they ate about $45 mm.    We’d be eating about $80 mm (I’m treating his deferred comp from 2016-18 and then half of ‘19 as already earned and not “eaten” for purposes of this calculation).    For our obligation to be down to $45 mm we’d need to wait until early 2021 to cut him.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No, they ate about $45 mm.    We’d be eating about $80 mm (I’m treating his deferred comp from 2016-18 and then half of ‘19 as already earned and not “eaten” for purposes of this calculation).    For our obligation to be down to $45 mm we’d need to wait until early 2021 to cut him.   

Angels ate 68M when they traded Hamilton.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s depressing! 

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Angels ate 68M when they traded Hamilton.

The Mike Hampton trade was very complicated and it’s difficult to say exactly how much the Rockies ate.   But it was a lot.

The Tigers got away with only eating $30 mm of Fielder’s contract.   Fielder was released by the Rangers with $72 mm left to go, and he had been inactive for 1.5 seasons before his release.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Mike Hampton trade was very complicated and it’s difficult to say exactly how much the Rockies ate.   But it was a lot.

The Tigers got away with only eating $30 mm of Fielder’s contract.   Fielder was released by the Rangers with $72 mm left to go, and he had been inactive for 1.5 seasons before his release.   

Insurance covered some of the Fielder contract.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't see that happening.  Under the old regime, maybe.  But Elias seems to have a plan, and if Davis is playing like he did last year I don't see Elias messing around.

Elias and the new regime will give Chris Davis EVERY CHANCE THEY CAN to get right, as a member of the Baltimore Orioles and under this contract.  Period.

They believe they can improve player performance through coaching and data, and they inherited him with the rest of the team. They have seen him when he was doing well, and seen him recently.

They will NOT allow Chris Davis to move on from this contract and team, and then go to some other team to find himself again.

We have Chris until he gets better.  If it does not happen, we have him for a longer time until he does.  They will keep working with him, but they will not swallow the contract and watch him hit somewhere else.

Archived