Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The paragraph I thought was most interesting was this one:

I've heard it speculated that the MLBPA would have to approve such a deal, and I've heard others say that the union has no say in it.   This is the first time I've seen anything stating that union officials have said they would have to approve such a deal and that it would be a non-starter.    If correct, then those of you who were hoping we could wear Davis down and embarrass him into a buy-out are going to be sorely disappointed.    I've always thought that was very unlikely anyway.

They can't prevent a player from retiring with money owed, so I don't see how they can prevent a player from a negotiated buyout, if the player agreed to it.

Their only grievance would be if the Orioles were somehow trying to force Davis to do it.

But if Davis' intention was to retire from baseball, any money the Orioles payed him would be a bonus from his perspective.  

18 minutes ago, Bonecrusher52 said:

Yep, found this article. Had no idea about his situation at Yankee stadium. lol

Wow banned and jailed for going to better seats.  Happens all the time at Camden Yards.  I have done it myself but I hated it when I had season tickets and people were always sitting in my seats.  And they acted annoyed when you told them they were my seats. 

18 hours ago, sakata_catching said:

It's naive to think this stops with him getting a hit.

It won't.  I saw someone here jokingly said it would join Cal as a record never broken.  If he gets a hit, when he gets a hit.  The counter will reset.  Davis is going to continue to draw a white hot spotlight.  And it is not a show that can go on for years....

14 hours ago, esmd said:

This.  I've thought of Flanagan several times when considering Davis' struggles.  People can say he's got $100M+ reasons to be happy, but I have to believe the guy is absolutely miserable.  I'm legitimately concerned for his mental well being.

And this is why...

Earlier in this thread the notion that the Orioles could force Davis to retire was dented.  The players association won't allow this.  We may never know if the Orioles offer it.  However, if the Baltimore Orioles take that approach and genuinely play him to humiliate him and if the players association were to force him to stay...they would both in my opinion be opening themselves to potential liabilities.

It is an ugly situation and an unfortunate one.  It's not going to get better and there is no place on the Orioles roster for Davis during a rebuild.  Sure he does not hurt this year, as long as he is not blocking an actual major league player, but that low bar becomes increasingly difficult to clear.  If Trumbo returns from the Injured List, it arguably becomes a problem now.  But after the all star break, it seems likely that we will begin to see players percolate up from the minors. Davis' inclusion will increasingly hamper efforts to create a winning culture and mentality.  Davis' retention will become not a link to the brief run of success, but the sole reason that Manny Machado, Adam Jones and Jonathan Schoop now play for other teams.

Keeping Davis will literally become crying over spilt milk.

Power Plant Live is pulling for Chris Davis after the Orioles first baseman set a major league record for the most at-bats without a hit.

Davis has stepped up to the plate 49 times since September without a hit, and was out of the lineup Tuesday night. Like most fans in Baltimore, Power Plant Live wants to see him break the hitless streak — and the downtown entertainment complex will reward patrons when he does.

Power Plant Live plans to give out 1,000 orange crushes on the Friday after Davis gets a hit. It’s a tribute to his nickname, “Crush” — bestowed when he was better known for sending home runs out of the park.

Power Plant’s bars will give out 1,500 of the drinks if his first hit is a home run.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/features/baltimore-insider-blog/bs-md-ci-power-plant-live-crush-20190410-story.html

How in the world will a two day reboot accomplish any positive results?  He was suppose to change over his swing this past off-season.  I would just put him on the end of the bench.   He does not deserve any further leash.  He should do the honorable thing and retire.  He has literally robbed the Orioles of    69 mil to date.

The only possible positive conclusion to the Davis saga, as far as the Orioles are concerned, is for him to retire. Even if he becomes the MVP it doesn't help us because we don't have the supporting cast to make a run for the playoffs. So fixing him doesn't help us in the long run. We need to be able to redistribute the 22+ million/year toward other assets.

If he won't do the honorable thing and stop taking money that he hasn't earned, management needs to incentivize his departure. The only way that this can be done (other than a buy out) is to stop treating him with kid gloves. We need continually put his ineptitude on display. He needs to play every game, take every at bat. No days off. (What could he be doing that makes him tired?) If he is given a day off, make him pinch hit in a crucial situation. Let him do some relief pitching. Only then is there a chance that he'll get tired of the derision and leave. I simply can't see the upside in treating him like a tender Little Leaguer. He makes more money in a week than a brain surgeon makes in a year. Make him man up. 

The purpose of this isn't to be cruel. We are desperate. Frankly, our franchise may soon be in jeopardy due to ridiculously poor attendance and TV market share. We need the money Davis is wasting to get some players who can generate some interest. The team's slump could be the beginnings of a death spiral. 

3 minutes ago, Here! said:

The only possible positive conclusion to the Davis saga, as far as the Orioles are concerned, is for him to retire. Even if he becomes the MVP it doesn't help us because we don't have the supporting cast to make a run for the playoffs. So fixing him doesn't help us in the long run. We need to be able to redistribute the 22+ million/year toward other assets.

If he won't do the honorable thing and stop taking money that he hasn't earned, management needs to incentivize his departure. The only way that this can be done (other than a buy out) is to stop treating him with kid gloves. We need continually put his ineptitude on display. He needs to play every game, take every at bat. No days off. (What could he be doing that makes him tired?) If he is given a day off, make him pinch hit in a crucial situation. Let him do some relief pitching. Only then is there a chance that he'll get tired of the derision and leave. I simply can't see the upside in treating him like a tender Little Leaguer. He makes more money in a week than a brain surgeon makes in a year. Make him man up. 

The purpose of this isn't to be cruel. We are desperate. Frankly, our franchise may soon be in jeopardy due to ridiculously poor attendance and TV market share. We need the money Davis is wasting to get some players who can generate some interest. The team's slump could be the beginnings of a death spiral. 

He is only making 16 million this year.  Rest is deferred.

1 hour ago, WI O’s Fan said:

How in the world will a two day reboot accomplish any positive results?  He was suppose to change over his swing this past off-season.  I would just put him on the end of the bench.   He does not deserve any further leash.  He should do the honorable thing and retire.  He has literally robbed the Orioles of    69 mil to date.

Just let Sig use Davis to test any crazy theories he comes up with.  #analytics 

4 minutes ago, Here! said:

The franchise will be fine. We’re still 19th in the league in attendance this year, and profits league-wide have never been higher. Ownership isn’t even crying poor, because nobody would buy it.

5 minutes ago, Andtothewall said:

The franchise will be fine. We’re still 19th in the league in attendance this year, and profits league-wide have never been higher. Ownership isn’t even crying poor, because nobody would buy it.

The Orioles will be more profitable then last year. Payroll cut in half or more.Ticket prices are the same and concession and ticket fees are up.Attendance will not drop that much from last year,at least not to cut that revenue in half.Still get the 200,000 Yankee and Red Sox fans.

2 hours ago, WI O’s Fan said:

He wasn’t awful in 2016.    Disappointing but not awful.  

Archived