Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

Just now, jabba72 said:

Its odd that he says he couldnt hit the high fastball last year and now he can. Im not sure what thats about, unless he was that pull happy.  Maybe he's just seeing the ball better, its clear he is for this short stretch. Though I think his bat looks slower than a few years ago. 

Yeah his bat speed isn't what it was in 2015, but it is a marked improvement over last couple years. Maybe he got some insights from analytics? #TrustTheProcess

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yeah his bat speed isn't what it was in 2015, but it is a marked improvement over last couple years. Maybe he got some insights from analytics? #TrustTheProcess

They setup a high speed cam behind the batting cage the day after he set the record for most hitless AB's. But I dont know what that told Davis. Its clear he's done something. 

45 minutes ago, interloper said:

They'll figure it out. I know Davis' recent success probably has a few OHers bummed out, but those are the same folks who would tell you the O's won't have ownership clearance to release him anyway. So, IMO, he might as well play well and that's infinitely more entertaining than the other option. 

If you still are hoping he gets released at some point, you just have to trust that Elias understands he'll need to create roster room eventually and that any amount of good Davis performance is just diminishing returns at a certain point. 

In the meantime, I hope people just allow themselves to feel good for the guy. He won't impact the amount of wins this year so we'll still get a good draft pick. And there's no urgency to call up, say, Mountcastle, so he's not blocking anyone. They were going to give Davis the majority of this season anyway, so nothing has really changed other than we have a feel good story for a little while. And even that may not continue for long.

IMO nothing has really changed about Davis' chances of getting released because nothing has really changed about Davis' chances of having sustained success. At least not until we see a larger sample.

Going to 26 on a squad will make it easier to carry him.

46 minutes ago, interloper said:

They'll figure it out. I know Davis' recent success probably has a few OHers bummed out, but those are the same folks who would tell you the O's won't have ownership clearance to release him anyway. So, IMO, he might as well play well and that's infinitely more entertaining than the other option. 

If you still are hoping he gets released at some point, you just have to trust that Elias understands he'll need to create roster room eventually and that any amount of good Davis performance is just diminishing returns at a certain point. 

In the meantime, I hope people just allow themselves to feel good for the guy. He won't impact the amount of wins this year so we'll still get a good draft pick. And there's no urgency to call up, say, Mountcastle, so he's not blocking anyone. They were going to give Davis the majority of this season anyway, so nothing has really changed other than we have a feel good story for a little while. And even that may not continue for long.

IMO nothing has really changed about Davis' chances of getting released because nothing has really changed about Davis' chances of having sustained success. At least not until we see a larger sample.

It doesn't have me bummed.  

I don't know about any of you guys but I've learned a lot about myself in regards to the whole Davis situation.  I've been pretty harsh on here, maybe a little too harsh in regards to him.  I've said it before, I'll say it again...no one likes to suck that much at their job no matter how much money they're making.  And ESPECIALLY in a situation where you're making headlines for BEING TERRIBLE.  He can't hide anywhere, it's all out on front street for every baseball fan to see.  

That being said, how happy were we all for him when he got his first hit?  How happy were we for him when he hit his first homer?  Sparked a rally to win a game last week?  It feels SO GOOD to be happy for that guy.  Davis, by all accounts, is a good dude and his teammates seem to love him.  You don't hear any "anonymous teammates" griping about him in the media.  You DO hear that he's worked hard to get himself out of whatever's been effecting him over the past two seasons.

This team is way more fun when Davis is a threat at the plate.  If he can get back to a .750 or even .800 OPS, that'd be a giant success and a hell of a comeback.  I think we'd all be happy for him.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

It doesn't have me bummed.  

I don't know about any of you guys but I've learned a lot about myself in regards to the whole Davis situation.  I've been pretty harsh on here, maybe a little too harsh in regards to him.  I've said it before, I'll say it again...no one likes to suck that much at their job no matter how much money they're making.  And ESPECIALLY in a situation where you're making headlines for BEING TERRIBLE.  He can't hide anywhere, it's all out on front street for every baseball fan to see.  

That being said, how happy were we all for him when he got his first hit?  How happy were we for him when he hit his first homer?  Sparked a rally to win a game last week?  It feels SO GOOD to be happy for that guy.  Davis, by all accounts, is a good dude and his teammates seem to love him.  You don't hear any "anonymous teammates" griping about him in the media.  You DO hear that he's worked hard to get himself out of whatever's been effecting him over the past two seasons.

This team is way more fun when Davis is a threat at the plate.  If he can get back to a .750 or even .800 OPS, that'd be a giant success and a hell of a comeback.  I think we'd all be happy for him.  

100%. The way the fans started to boo but then slowly got behind him? That's beautiful. 

I think things really took a dark turn during the Palmer-Davis-Coolbaugh episode last season. I'm still not sure what to make of all that, but Cool is gone and I'm good with clean-slating all that just like Elias and Hyde probably are. 

I always said it would be one of the best stories in baseball if he turned it around this year suddenly. Davis is not going to hinder a rebuild all that much if he stays. It may make folks worried about Elias' level of control in the organization and I get that. But I'm willing to let it play out. 

58 minutes ago, interloper said:

100%. The way the fans started to boo but then slowly got behind him? That's beautiful. 

I think things really took a dark turn during the Palmer-Davis-Coolbaugh episode last season. I'm still not sure what to make of all that, but Cool is gone and I'm good with clean-slating all that just like Elias and Hyde probably are. 

I always said it would be one of the best stories in baseball if he turned it around this year suddenly. Davis is not going to hinder a rebuild all that much if he stays. It may make folks worried about Elias' level of control in the organization and I get that. But I'm willing to let it play out. 

I've thought about that situation as well with Palmer. I know we can't know all the details, but it wreaked of "kicking a man while he's down". I really like Palmer as the color guy and I know he's connected to people. But not really a fan of the way he hung Davis out to dry like that. And obviously Davis is showing he's not lazy or a quitter. 

19 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

Also, Alex Gordon has had a pretty hot start to the season this year after a few years of scuffling.

I know it's one anecdotal case, but nice to see someone in as deep of a hole as Chris bouncing back a bit. 

Gordon is tearing it up with .989 OPS. I thought he was done. Nice to see him bounce back.

On 4/24/2019 at 4:03 PM, Bubble Buddy said:

I've thought about that situation as well with Palmer. I know we can't know all the details, but it wreaked of "kicking a man while he's down". I really like Palmer as the color guy and I know he's connected to people. But not really a fan of the way he hung Davis out to dry like that. And obviously Davis is showing he's not lazy or a quitter. 

CD deserved the criticism then.  And Palmer, altho he can rub people the wrong way, he's earned to say whatever he wishes. 

I'm happy for CD altho I still think he needs to go asap.  Take asap to mean whatever you like.  I was done last year. 

I know there's not a market for him at his pay rate, so I'm regrettably, yet hope-filled in, awaiting his contributions to our new club. 

His HR tonight was well hit and he was focused on the ball hitting the bat.  Congratulations.

On 4/24/2019 at 3:03 PM, Bubble Buddy said:

Since when is a professional commentator with considerable authority addressing the obvious "kicking a man when he's down?"  Palmer's job isn't conducting a group therapy session in public and Lord knows Baltimore sports media is accomodating enough as it is.

4 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. TWINS, 4/28)

Davis' solo home run, his 3rd round-tripper of the season, accounted for all of the runs that the Orioles scored in this afternoon's 4-1 loss to the Twins.

o

Interesting that he's only 3 RBIs behind Trey and one RBI ahead of both Ruiz and Villar. All three of them have a lot more at-bats than Davis does--and hits. I know it's all about opportunities, but still it's surprising.

I sometimes wonder what they would have done with Davis if we were a near contending club this year.  As it is, it really makes very little difference.  He could go 0 for the rest of the season and stay on this team and it would really make zero difference.  But, fortunately, baseball being baseball he inevitably had to improve from where he was and I am glad for him.  

Archived