Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's nonsense.  No one needs to see more of Davis.  The sample size is plenty big enough at this point. 

As for Mancini, he's a poor outfielder and the team is better served with him playing elsewhere.

We all know Davis wouldn’t be in the majors if it wasn’t for his contract.   When to cut him is partly a pure baseball judgment, partly a political judgment.   It’s easy for us to say walk away from a (remaining) $84 mm investment, but if it were your money, or your boss’s money, you’d want to be very, very sure.    There was a three-week window where Davis looked like a major league hitter; I think they’ll spend a bit more time seeing if they can rekindle that flame.   The cold truth is, he was a .539 OPS hitter last year and this year he’s at .575 despite his 3-week hot spell.    Personally, I think he gets to the end of June to heat up again.    I don’t think this will drag on much longer than that, and it’s not a big deal to me whether they give him that time or not.    I get it.  

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But even if Davis could maintain his hot streak numbers he's not an asset.  It was a nice story for a couple weeks but meaningless.

On a team with many other guys who aren’t assets his salary will get him a longer look. I don’t like it, but pretty sure sunk cost isn’t a thing with the Angelos family.

One of my biggest concerns with Davis is how much time he gets with the hitting coaches. I don't know the schedule, and maybe we just hear about it more because it's Davis, but it just seems like he gets more of the hitting coaches' time than any other player. 

If he monopolizes the coaches every time he goes into a slump, that's a problem. Most likely it's not an issue, but I just wonder if Nunez was getting that attention when he was slumping, or Villar with his struggles.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's nonsense.  No one needs to see more of Davis.  The sample size is plenty big enough at this point. 

As for Mancini, he's a poor outfielder and the team is better served with him playing elsewhere.

I agree, my point wasn't about Davis, it was about evaluating how to deploy the current assets other than Davis going forward. I think Eloas gives Davis more time to  continue to utterly fail, making the decision easy for the sons to.concur. Elias doesn't have to spend any political capital that way. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

One on, one off soon? 

This has to open up spot for DJ. Mancini to 1B. Unless they think he isn’t “ready” yet.  

That is the move most of us would make.  Who know what Elias will do?

He picked Santander over Stewart for the double header.

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That is the move most of us would make.  Who know what Elias will do?

He picked Santander over Stewart for the double header.

Re: picking one over the other, i think there’s logic in not bringing DJ up for just one day if he has a brighter future in Baltimore. Don’t interrupt his routine and all that. 

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Re: picking one over the other, i think there’s logic in not bringing DJ up for just one day if he has a brighter future in Baltimore. Don’t interrupt his routine and all that. 

I'll disagree with the idea of rewarding the one performing.

I wonder what it's like mentally knowing you can't get called up to the worst team in baseball when you are doing well because they won't release a guy that seemingly somehow forgot how to hit a baseball.  Just keep plugging away I guess and hope someone will eventually get some sense and release him.

Archived