Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

It's amazing that historically thorough medical staff didn't red flag this when we resigned him. Maybe Peter or Brady personally administered the physical ;) our

Whoops. misplaced my "our" the first time. No boat jokes please. 

It's amazing that our historically thorough medical staff didn't red flag this when we resigned him. Maybe Peter or Brady personally administered the physical ;) 

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davis not only is terrible in his own personal performance but he’s costing us because he’s hurting us at other positions. Like LF and RF. We have to play 1B/DH in the field to generate some offense to compensate for hit lack of production. 

You can’t win with this guy. 

The thought of quitting has crossed Davis’ mind. Walking away from his career, the money, in the most drastic of resets. Only he can reach for that button.

“Yeah, several days, but that’s not who I am,” he said. “And I made a commitment not only to the Baltimore Orioles but to our fans, to my family, to my teammates for seven years and I’m going to be here as long as they’ll keep letting me walk through the door before those seven years are up.

This is from Rochs article today. 

Im betting he'd could be persuaded to retire if he were given a buy out and told that he was going to be riding the pine.

Just my opinion ..

25 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

This is from Rochs article today. 

Im betting he'd could be persuaded to retire if he were given a buy out and told that he was going to be riding the pine.

Just my opinion ..

Agree.  I would sit him the entire month of September, actually could start right now, so he gets a feel for sitting the bench.  Then tell him to bust his butt working on his hitting in the off-season.  Get to mid-May in 2019, if not hitting, ride the pine and pursue the buyout.

3 minutes ago, Chromehill said:

Agree.  I would sit him the entire month of September, actually could start right now, so he gets a feel for sitting the bench.  Then tell him to bust his butt working on his hitting in the off-season.  Get to mid-May in 2019, if not hitting, ride the pine and pursue the buyout.

That's all well and fine but Buck won't sit him for several weeks or a month. Let him play 2 or 3 days a week. But Buck won't do that either. 

On 8/8/2018 at 8:37 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

Davis not only is terrible in his own personal performance but he’s costing us because he’s hurting us at other positions. Like LF and RF. We have to play 1B/DH in the field to generate some offense to compensate for hit lack of production. 

You can’t win with this guy. 

How much longer is CD's contract for? 

9 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

How much longer is CD's contract for? 

"The Orioles re-signed Davis to a seven-year, $161 million contract in January 2016, with managing partner Peter Angelos dealing directly with agent Scott Boras to hammer out the final details. Davis receives $17 million in each of the next four seasons with $42 million in deferred money to be paid in 10 installments of $3.5 million annually from July 1, 2023-32 and five installments of $1.4 million from July 1, 2033-37, according to Cot’s Contracts."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/08/chris-davis-on-struggles-false-theories-and-whether-hed-quit.html

On the ADHD med, Vyvanse (and others):

Are his issues at the plate, including the called third strikes that led the majors last season, somehow related to his medication, though he was taking it during the 2015 season? Davis refers back to his suspension before dousing another theory.

“I understand that was a mistake I may never stop paying for in the eyes of some people, not going through the steps to get reapproved for those couple of years,” he said. “I understand that. But the medication that I take doesn’t make me a great baseball player. The entire reason I started taking this was because life away from baseball was just kind of spiraling out of control and I had never really explored any avenues as far as being diagnosed.

“There was some pretty good certainty in a few of my school teachers when I was younger that I had ADHD, just because, I mean, I’m the poster child for it. But my whole life I had been able to go out and play baseball with no problem because it was almost like an escape. It was almost place where I felt so in my skin that I didn’t have to worry about forgetting to do something earlier that day. So, the medication gets in my opinion a little too much power in some people’s eyes. And yeah, it’s the same thing I’ve been taking for years. It’s the same thing, it’s made by the same guy. It’s just under a different name.

“I’ve had success years I didn’t take anything, I’ve had success years I was on medication. That’s an easy fix to me if that was the case. If I thought that was the reason I was struggling, I’d do whatever I could to not have to worry about it. I just think that’s too much of an easy fix.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/08/chris-davis-on-struggles-false-theories-and-whether-hed-quit.html

I love this discourse on his love for the city, the pay being a reflection of what he deserved for the good years, etc.

“It’s almost like you’re paid backward in this game. You go through arbitration. As a player that’s your first opportunity to really, I say ‘earn’ money. We make an astronomical amount of money in this game. There’s no doubt about it. That’s the first time as a player you feel like you have some leverage. But ultimately when you hit free agency you’re paid off your past performance and what you’ve now set the bar to be for the next however many years.

“I never looked at free agency as anything but an opportunity to stay in one place for more than one year and I thought that was something that I never experienced, it was something I was really looking forward to. But at the end of the day, no matter if you’re playing professional baseball, if you’re teaching school, if you’re a doctor, if you are a mailman, you want to be the best at what you’re doing. And in my mind, no amount of money makes that any easier.

“I think that’s one of the biggest misconceptions is, a lot of times I don’t show emotion and it comes across as me not caring and that couldn’t be further from the truth. I care deeply about this team, the city, the people of Baltimore. Maybe even a little too much at times. I want to enjoy coming to work every day and there have been several times this year where at the end of the day there wasn’t much to look at. That’s tough. And it’s tough to try to find the positive in it.”

47 games left. Davis is at 347 AB and needs 502 to qualify for the batting title. Currently averaging 3.65 AB/G, so he is on pace for 518 AB. He will get at least 5 games off to keep him from getting the worst average of all time, otherwise he is a lock to set the record and Buck will not let Davis do that to himself.

I do think there has to be a number at which Davis's pride will allow him and the Orioles to come to an agreement. Maybe they restructure it so that he gets a Bonilla type of deal. He is set for life no matter what, so he does not need to play for money. However, I don't know if the Orioles are there yet, even if Davis would agree. Davis has such a history of being an up and down player that they may still give him a year or two to keep flailing before they are ready to eat $80M.

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

"The Orioles re-signed Davis to a seven-year, $161 million contract in January 2016, with managing partner Peter Angelos dealing directly with agent Scott Boras to hammer out the final details. Davis receives $17 million in each of the next four seasons with $42 million in deferred money to be paid in 10 installments of $3.5 million annually from July 1, 2023-32 and five installments of $1.4 million from July 1, 2033-37, according to Cot’s Contracts."

I thought it was interesting that Roch mentioned it like this, especially with some of the questions recently around who was leading those negotiations. 

45 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

47 games left. Davis is at 347 AB and needs 502 to qualify for the batting title. Currently averaging 3.65 AB/G, so he is on pace for 518 AB. He will get at least 5 games off to keep him from getting the worst average of all time, otherwise he is a lock to set the record and Buck will not let Davis do that to himself.

I do think there has to be a number at which Davis's pride will allow him and the Orioles to come to an agreement. Maybe they restructure it so that he gets a Bonilla type of deal. He is set for life no matter what, so he does not need to play for money. However, I don't know if the Orioles are there yet, even if Davis would agree. Davis has such a history of being an up and down player that they may still give him a year or two to keep flailing before they are ready to eat $80M.

He's earned ridiculous money over the past two plus seasons. He and his childre Will never need to care about money. Make a settlement and pay him. Get the debt completely off the books and move forward.

This quote really stuck out for me. "Nobody wants to be ridiculed or criticized, but that’s not the world we live in, especially in this game. When there’s such emphasis put on winning and being successful and getting a leg up on the competition."

Imagine tha, Chris.  There really is an emphasis put on winning.  I had no idea.

Archived