Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

44 minutes ago, Smilin' Joe Fission said:

I thought it was interesting that Roch mentioned it like this, especially with some of the questions recently around who was leading those negotiations. 

The press read the message boards. They know the questions. Good take. 

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

47 games left. Davis is at 347 AB and needs 502 to qualify for the batting title. Currently averaging 3.65 AB/G, so he is on pace for 518 AB. He will get at least 5 games off to keep him from getting the worst average of all time, otherwise he is a lock to set the record and Buck will not let Davis do that to himself.

I do think there has to be a number at which Davis's pride will allow him and the Orioles to come to an agreement. Maybe they restructure it so that he gets a Bonilla type of deal. He is set for life no matter what, so he does not need to play for money. However, I don't know if the Orioles are there yet, even if Davis would agree. Davis has such a history of being an up and down player that they may still give him a year or two to keep flailing before they are ready to eat $80M.

Is it based on AB's or plate appearances? 

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

"The Orioles re-signed Davis to a seven-year, $161 million contract in January 2016, with managing partner Peter Angelos dealing directly with agent Scott Boras to hammer out the final details. Davis receives $17 million in each of the next four seasons with $42 million in deferred money to be paid in 10 installments of $3.5 million annually from July 1, 2023-32 and five installments of $1.4 million from July 1, 2033-37, according to Cot’s Contracts."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/08/chris-davis-on-struggles-false-theories-and-whether-hed-quit.html

Oh my goodness. I had no idea it would last that long. 

7 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Remember, it was Buck, NOT Duquette who championed the Davis deal(so did I ). The Davis contract is an albatross.We need to see if we can release him and eat the money...he actually hampers the progress of this ball club going forward. Smaller revenue franchise can't afford to make such a bad mistake. And this is and remains, a bad mistake.

I didn’t like the deal at the time, but I thought only the last few years of the contract would be bad.  

I didn’t anticipate Davis underperforming for the length of the contract.  

Orioles need to treat this as a sunk cost and move on.  

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Wow, just read the Roch piece. That is some of the most depressing reading I have done in a long time. Russian literature is uplifting by comparison.

Yes.  I thought it was pretty sad. He is completely lost.

8 hours ago, bobmc said:

"The Orioles re-signed Davis to a seven-year, $161 million contract in January 2016, with managing partner Peter Angelos dealing directly with agent Scott Boras to hammer out the final details. Davis receives $17 million in each of the next four seasons with $42 million in deferred money to be paid in 10 installments of $3.5 million annually from July 1, 2023-32 and five installments of $1.4 million from July 1, 2033-37, according to Cot’s Contracts."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/08/chris-davis-on-struggles-false-theories-and-whether-hed-quit.html

On the human side of it, there's no one I'd want to succeed more. I know he's gonna get paid the rest of his life, but the public shame of having possibly the worst season in MLB history while simultaneously being the highest paid player in franchise history? 

It's not for a lack of effort as I think the guy has always put his work in. And he got paid at the level of his production previous in his career. He's just lost it and I feel for him and I hope by some miracle he can become a productive player again. 

But he's battling a lot to get to that point. An Adam Dunn type finish to his career would be great. That's what I'm hoping for. That would almost be a miracle at this point. 

5 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Remember, it was Buck, NOT Duquette who championed the Davis deal(so did I ). The Davis contract is an albatross.We need to see if we can release him and eat the money...he actually hampers the progress of this ball club going forward. Smaller revenue franchise can't afford to make such a bad mistake. And this is and remains, a bad mistake.

It is historically bad. What really needs to happen at this point is PA needs to man up and tell the FO "this one is on me. Straight out of MY pocket. We will not let it continue to haunt us for 10 more years." DFA him and be done with it.

16 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

On the human side of it, there's no one I'd want to succeed more. I know he's gonna get paid the rest of his life, but the public shame of having possibly the worst season in MLB history while simultaneously being the highest paid player in franchise history? 

It's not for a lack of effort as I think the guy has always put his work in. And he got paid at the level of his production previous in his career. He's just lost it and I feel for him and I hope by some miracle he can become a productive player again. 

But he's battling a lot to get to that point. An Adam Dunn type finish to his career would be great. That's what I'm hoping for. That would almost be a miracle at this point. 

Which is why he and Coolbough had widely differing accounts as to how much work they did together in the offseason.

I also have to wonder as to how he lost so much footspeed if he's been working hard.

I do thank him for putting the eye thing to rest.  Of course spring training is going to include an eye exam.

Archived