Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not many.    In 1967, the minimum salary was $6,000 and average was $19,000.   In 1975, the minimum was $16,000 and the average was $44,676.    You did have a few stars making $100-200 k.     But it was really only when free agency started in 1976 that salaries really began to balloon.  

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-mlb-salaries-chart-20160329-story.html%3foutputType=amp

Je souviens--I think you misinterpreted the tone of my exclamation mark. I remember what a big deal it was for Brooks and Frank to break six figures long after they were already superstars.

Did anyone mention trading with Detroit for Miguel Cabrera?  Could probably work the numbers out where we aren't paying Cabrera's entire salary as he's owed more than Davis.  Some thoughts.

• His contract is up in 2023, Davis in 2022. Attractive to Detroit.
  • Detroit saves money overall, but they will need to cover a little of Cabrera's. Cabrera is owed 154, Davis 84? (check those numbers)
  • We end up spending a little more than Davis' initial contract by inheriting Cabrera's.
  • Cabera could actually recover his value a bit too as he's OPS'd .843 before the injury. Davis may not ever.
  • Upon saving money, Detroit may just release Davis.
  • Opens up 1B for us and takes a blackhole out of the lineup, improving player development all around. 
  • Could help attendance during rebuild as Cabrera's on his way to 500 homers and 3000 hits.
  • Cabrera will either be gone by the time we are relevant again or he will be our DH in our return to the playoffs.  

12 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Je souviens--I think you misinterpreted the tone of my exclamation mark. I remember what a big deal it was for Brooks and Frank to break six figures long after they were already superstars.

But they still had to shill for extra coin - go figure!

o

For one season only (2019), I would try to do something similar to what Eddie Murray and Lee May did over the course of the 1977 and 1978 seasons.

May was the 1st Baseman and occasional DH in 1977, while a young Eddie Murray was the opposite (mostly DH, and a little bit of 1st Base.)

The next season (1978), they did the switcheroo in their roles.

This season it was mostly Davis at 1B, while Mancini played LF (and some DH and 1B.)

Next year, I would firmly plant Mancini at 1B (the same way that the Orioles planted Murray at 1B in 1978 after mostly DH-ing for the 1977 season), and have Davis be primarily a DH next season with an occasional game here and there at 1st Base ........ like they did with Lee May in '78.

If Davis has even a modestly decent season as a primary DH next season (say an OPS in the low .700's), then the Orioles will have successfully eaten a year of his contract on a young rebuilding team. If that happens, I would continue to keep Davis in the same role for the 2020 season.

If Davis has another horrible offensive season at DH in 2019 (an OPS of under .600), then at that point I would strongly consider cutting the teams' losses with his contract by DFA-ing him.

So the worst-case scenario would be for the Orioles to be eating the final 3 years of Davis' contract should have another horrible season with the bat in 2019.

The best-case scenario would be that the Orioles would successfully kind of hide Davis in a (primarily) DH role for the next 2 or 3 seasons, and not have to eat more than 1 year of what is left on his contract ........ while simultaneously giving 1st Base experience to a younger, less troubled player (Trey Mancini) on a rebuilding team that may have to wait at least until 2020 to be competitive again.

o

8 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Did anyone mention trading with Detroit for Miguel Cabrera?  Could probably work the numbers out where we aren't paying Cabrera's entire salary as he's owed more than Davis.  Some thoughts.

• His contract is up in 2023, Davis in 2022. Attractive to Detroit.
  • Detroit saves money overall, but they will need to cover a little of Cabrera's. Cabrera is owed 154, Davis 84? (check those numbers)
  • We end up spending a little more than Davis' initial contract by inheriting Cabrera's.
  • Cabera could actually recover his value a bit too as he's OPS'd .843 before the injury. Davis may not ever.
  • Upon saving money, Detroit may just release Davis.
  • Opens up 1B for us and takes a blackhole out of the lineup, improving player development all around. 
  • Could help attendance during rebuild as Cabrera's on his way to 500 homers and 3000 hits.
  • Cabrera will either be gone by the time we are relevant again or he will be our DH in our return to the playoffs.  

Dig that hole deeper. Plus he's got baggage too. No.

13 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Davis is hitting nearly .180 which means he's raised his average 30+ points since the all star break. Not a reason to get overly excited but there is some hope.

Before ASB: .158 / .232 / .274 / .506. BABIP: .219.

9 homers, 28 RBIs, 26 walks, 116 Ks in 323 PAs.

After ASB: .226 / .303 / .409 / .712. BABIP: .312.

7 homers, 21 RBIs, 13 walks, 55 Ks in 155 PAs.

Archived