Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

2 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

Not that this year is a good example, but did any of that production since the ASB contribute to wins?  Not that there have been many "clutch" situations this year, but how much of that production was meaningful?  Maybe it's not fair to ask with such overall suckitude.

It's not about the wins this year. OR Next. In fact, I'm certain that the Orioles will finish in the bottom 6 team next season as well. 

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

Why? 

There are other players to evaluate and we are going younger. Plus,  personally - which likely doesn't matter to anyone but me - I didn't like what I saw early in the season from him tempermentally when he was frustrated and struggling.  For me, it's not about getting anything out of a bad contract with him, it's about the example he might or might not set. 

The fact that Davis did not give up, and has fought his way to playing at least somewhat respectably the last two months, makes me believe we don’t need to worry about the example he sets.   But I am worried about his overall lack of production.   

1 minute ago, weams said:

Why? Because the Orioles do not need to fill that position with anyone better until they are ready to compete. And try as he will, Bobby Dickerson is not making Mancini into a slick fielder. He is a DH. 

To be fair, he hasn't been given much of a chance.  CD has been given every opportunity to right his ship.  Who knows where Trey would be if he had been given the same opportunity at daily play.

1 minute ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

To be fair, he hasn't been given much of a chance.  CD has been given every opportunity to right his ship.  Who knows where Trey would be if he had been given the same opportunity at daily play.

He was never thought to be good at defense at any level.  I like him, I do. He is Trumbo. 

I think Mancini looked better at 1B this year the few times I saw him there.   Of course, I haven’t been watching for a couple of months now.    His defensive metrics are below average but not awful.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The fact that Davis did not give up, and has fought his way to playing at least somewhat respectably the last two months, makes me believe we don’t need to worry about the example he sets.   But I am worried about his overall lack of production.   

Yet he's still terrible.  Polishing a turd here.  Not personally but based on performance.  There was little fight in him early on.  I just don't like the idea of him trying to fix himself behind a young team.  I get your perspective.  I just disagree.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Striving for mediocrity is how they got into the mess they were last time.

That's not what I'm saying.  But it is always about wins.  As an organization you are either going to do what you say or not.  This organization has never done what it's stated goal is.  Going into a season with an overpaid guy who crushed bats on his leg and against the clubhouse railing more than he seemed to put work in in the cage with coaches to get himself back on track is not what I, personally want to see as a vet leader on the team next year.  Agree to disagree, I guess.

That's not what I'm saying.  But it is always about wins.  As an organization you are either going to do what you say or not.  This organization has never done what it's stated goal is.  Going into a season with an overpaid guy who crushed bats on his leg and against the clubhouse railing more than he seemed to put work in in the cage with coaches to get himself back on track is not what I, personally want to see as a vet leader on the team next year.  Agree to disagree, I guess.

It has to always be about wins for the players. Always. It's just not the Management and Executive Management path for 27 months. 

1 minute ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

Has anyone called Davis a team leader?  If I remember correctly O'Day and Wieters had to have a chat with him after the drug suspension.

Would I rather Davis be gone?  Sure.  But I wouldn't even eat that much money if there was any chance of him being above replacement level.  His production in the second half give hope that he would at least not be an anchor going forward.

2 minutes ago, weams said:

It has to always be about wins for the players. Always. It's just not the Management and Executive Management path for 27 months. 

It has to be about wins for everyone in the organization.  Now you're just trolling me.  How many managers and FO guys did we go thru in the dark years when we couldn't get out of our own way.  Please.  Wins are what gauges improvement.

Archived