Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Striving for mediocrity is how they got into the mess they were last time.

That’s one diagnosis.    But I think one could assign other causes, such as poor drafting and of course lack of international investment.    And they were very poor at playing the free agent comp game.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Has anyone called Davis a team leader?  If I remember correctly O'Day and Wieters had to have a chat with him after the drug suspension.

Would I rather Davis be gone?  Sure.  But I wouldn't even eat that much money if there was any chance of him being above replacement level.  His production in the second half give hope that he would at least not be an anchor going forward.

He's an anchor playing or not and maybe moreso playing because he has sucked.  You are obvioulsy ready to take that chance.  Yet, you would have him gone if you could.  You make no sense.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

That’s one diagnosis.    But I think one could assign other causes, such as poor drafting and of course lack of international investment.    And they were very poor at playing the free agent comp game.

Sure I was being over simplistic and there were multiple causes for the extended period of losing.  That one cause just happened to be relevant to the issue being discussed.

2 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

He's an anchor playing or not and maybe moreso playing because he has sucked.  You are obvioulsy ready to take that chance.  Yet, you would have him gone if you could.  You make no sense.

Ideally I would want him gone but it isn't realistic.

Pretty simple.

4 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

It has to be about wins for everyone in the organization.  Now you're just trolling me.  How many managers and FO guys did we go thru in the dark years when we couldn't get out of our own way.  Please.  Wins are what gauges improvement.

I'm not trolling you. I am telling you that the Orioles won't win 65 games next season.  This is not a one or even two year fix. And we all knew that. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Ideally I would want him gone but it isn't realistic.

Pretty simple.

Pretty simple. I'm not looking to pay someone else even league minimum to do his job poorly while he is being paid for it if the Orioles are not a .500 or better team. A winner. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

I'm not trolling you. I am telling you that the Orioles won't win 65 games next season.  This is not a one or even two year fix. And we all knew that. 

I've never said that I expect it to be a one or two year thing, but I think we can do better than CD and the sooner we separate the better.  That's my opinion.  There are more negatives - for me - than keeping him.  And as I've said, it ain't my money.

Just now, drjohnnyfeva said:

I've never said that I expect it to be a one or two year thing, but I think we can do better than CD and the sooner we separate the better.  That's my opinion.  There are more negatives - for me - than keeping him.  And as I've said, it ain't my money.

Ok. I think it is fair that you think that. 

Pretty simple. I'm not looking to pay someone else even league minimum to do his job poorly while he is being paid for it if the Orioles are not a .500 or better team. A winner. 

You choose to look at it that way, that's fine.  I disagree, you never know what you what you might find by giving someone a chance.  I think that's more where the organization is at this moment than paying a huge sum of money to a guy that did little to help his cause over the past couple seasons.

Won’t win 65 games next season? I have an open mind about that.   It’s hard to be this bad.   There wasn’t a single AL team below 65 wins in 2014-15, and only one team below that in 2016-17.   There may only be two this year, though it could be as many as four.   No, this won’t be a quick fix, but a team can win 65 games by accident.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Won’t win 65 games next season? I have an open mind about that.   It’s hard to be this bad.   There wasn’t a single AL team below 65 wins in 2014-15, and only one team below that in 2016-17.   There may only be two this year, though it could be as many as four.   No, this won’t be a quick fix, but a team can win 65 games by accident.  

Ok. I'm usually on the high side. 

Ok. I'm usually on the high side. 

I think you are likely to be right.    I’d put the odds at 75% that we’ll be under 65 wins next year.   Just saying I don’t see it as a certainty, because it’s Baseball.   

10 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

You choose to look at it that way, that's fine.  I disagree, you never know what you what you might find by giving someone a chance.  I think that's more where the organization is at this moment than paying a huge sum of money to a guy that did little to help his cause over the past couple seasons.

I understand your view. 

Archived