Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

He doesn’t need to get very hot.  Let’s say he plays about every day and gets another 52 at bats.   He’d have to go 12 for 52 (.231) to finish above .179.     So all he really needs is a stretch where he’s merely mediocre, not terrible.   

For Davis, .232 is very hot. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He felt—feels—completely lost. "Failure just follows me around daily," he says. He wakes up in the morning and thinks about how bad he is. He gets to the ballpark and thinks about how bad he is. He takes batting practice, slogs through another hitless night and drives home thinking about how bad he is. He plays a game for a living, but it's not fun anymore. More than once this season he has considered his bank balance and considered quitting.

Do it.

There has been plenty of that this season. It’s not easy to be among the least valuable players in history. You can’t just play badly; you also have to play a lot. Showalter took a look at the numbers in early August and extended a courtesy to his sometimes slugger: He offered to sit Davis in September so he wouldn't amass enough at bats to pass Levey's mark. "Let me be the bad guy," the skipper said.

This irks me.  You don't play Davis because not playing him gives the team a better chance at winning.  You don't sit a guy so they won't break a record.

And therein may lie the problem. The answer to Showalter’s question is simple: Nothing has changed, except the game. There is no hitch in Davis's swing, no mistake of timing. The issue, scouts say, is surely mental. "He thinks for that money he's gotta hit home runs, he's gotta pull the ball," says one. Davis spent his whole career trying to develop into a pull hitter, then he woke up one morning and found that things had ... shifted.

I don't believe this, does anyone here believe this?  He's clearly lost bat speed and foot speed. 

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Interesting that it was Brady that was the one who informed him he'd be taking that 8 day break.

Shouldn't that be up to the manager? That's what is so frustrating to me. Who the hell is in charge? Brady, DD or Buck. I wish the sons would wise up and fire everyone.

If Davis really feels that way, they should keep playing him.  Potentially you could embarass him into retirement / negotiated buyout.   (I alluded to this strategy earlier in the year)   Of course, you never say that out loud to anyone, except to maybe a very tight inner circle.  

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't believe this, does anyone here believe this?  He's clearly lost bat speed and foot speed. 

That's been a big problem from the start of his decline IMO. He got this idea that the shift is the boogeyman that is causing all of his problems and people around him are encouraging that idea or at least not telling him otherwise.

It has nothing to do with the shift, bat speed is poor now and he's slower like you said. He's always had a long swing with holes to exploit, that's why even when he was good he struck out 30% of the time. It's possible he could still be an all or nothing slugger (not a good one but maybe a replacement level one instead of a historically bad one) if he would just get out of his own way and go up there in attack mode rather than this feeling sorry for himself theater in the box.

Archived