Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Satyr3206 said:

He might do that, except for his Agent.

His agent doesn't rule his life. If the stress of being the worse hitter in the major leagues is too much, why continue to go through it when you can have enough money to live well off of the rest of your life without the stress? He's a got three daughters that he can spend more time with. All i know is constant failure can wear anyone down and some point it's not worth the money.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

His agent doesn't rule his life. If the stress of being the worse hitter in the major leagues is too much, why continue to go through it when you can have enough money to live well off of the rest of your life without the stress? He's a got three daughters that he can spend more time with. All i know is constant failure can wear anyone down and some point it's not worth the money.

Oh I agree. Between ego, his Agent and the Players Association I don't see him retiring as much as I think that would be the best resolution.

Davis has two choices:

1.  Retire or request a buy out this off-season

2.  Spend the off-season getting in the best shape of his life, get coaching to re-invent himself as a hitter (what JD Martinez did after the 2013 season, maybe go the same place)

If he does #2, see how spring training goes and can always fall back to #1. 

The Orioles can

1.  Release him

2.  Play him

3.  Let him rot on the bench for the next four years playing only when absolutely necessary, effectively using a 24 man roster.

If the O's do number #3, Davis probably strongly considers a buyout. 

If it were me, I would bust my butt this off-season, learn a new approach to hitting and see how spring training goes. 

At 32 years of age, the odds are against reinventing his hitting approach, mechanics, etc. 

Just now, Chromehill said:

Davis has two choices:

1.  Retire or request a buy out this off-season

2.  Spend the off-season getting in the best shape of his life, get coaching to re-invent himself as a hitter (what JD Martinez did after the 2013 season, maybe go the same place)

If he does #2, see how spring training goes and can always fall back to #1. 

The Orioles can

1.  Release him

2.  Play him

3.  Let him rot on the bench for the next four years playing only when absolutely necessary, effectively using a 24 man roster.

If the O's do number #3, Davis probably strongly considers a buyout. 

If it were me, I would bust my butt this off-season, learn a new approach to hitting and see how spring training goes. 

Davis can sit on his butt and eat bon bons all offseason if he wants.  He can show up to camp weighing 350.  He doesn't have to do anything.

The fact is Davis doesn't want to make changes.  Baseball is a game of change. You either change or you go away.  I don't really feel sorry for him. He has plenty of money.  There are tons of guys who have these issues in A-ball and never make it to the bigs. Never have a huge salary.  The shift is an excuse. Plenty of players are having great seasons offensively.  The shift isn't effecting them. 

31 minutes ago, atomic said:

The fact is Davis doesn't want to make changes.  Baseball is a game of change. You either change or you go away.  I don't really feel sorry for him. He has plenty of money.  There are tons of guys who have these issues in A-ball and never make it to the bigs. Never have a huge salary.  The shift is an excuse. Plenty of players are having great seasons offensively.  The shift isn't effecting them. 

He would really need to prioritize baseball were he to wish to change any of this. I think He goes the Larry Sheetz route myself. 

I was on the Chris Davis bandwagon as much as anyone from 2012 through 2015.  By all accounts, he seems like a good guy, teammate, husband, dad, etc.  It's been tough to watch him struggle so much, and I feel for him.  Reading that article was tough - I honestly feel horrible for the guy.  I thought, and still think, that Palmer took a cheap shot, not so much that he criticized him and his seeming lack of adjustment, but that he called his character and integrity into question.  Even in this thread people are still accusing him of lying, and that's a shame.  The fans have turned on him, and some have taken it way too far in a very ugly way.  I'm sure a lot of people have given him well meaning advice and encouragement as well.

There is no easy answer, obviously - the options have been discussed here ad nauseum.  Unfortunately unless a miracle turnaround happens, it seems destined to end badly.  I just hope whatever happens, that he's able to come to terms with it and not allow it to ruin his quality of life.

2 minutes ago, esmd said:

I was on the Chris Davis bandwagon as much as anyone from 2012 through 2015.  By all accounts, he seems like a good guy, teammate, husband, dad, etc.  It's been tough to watch him struggle so much, and I feel for him.  Reading that article was tough - I honestly feel horrible for the guy.  I thought, and still think, that Palmer took a cheap shot, not so much that he criticized him and his seeming lack of adjustment, but that he called his character and integrity into question.  Even in this thread people are still accusing him of lying, and that's a shame.  The fans have turned on him, and some have taken it way too far in a very ugly way.  I'm sure a lot of people have given him well meaning advice and encouragement as well.

There is no easy answer, obviously - the options have been discussed here ad nauseum.  Unfortunately unless a miracle turnaround happens, it seems destined to end badly.  I just hope whatever happens, that he's able to come to terms with it and not allow it to ruin his quality of life.

He did lie about how much he worked with Coolbaugh during the offseason.

2 minutes ago, esmd said:

Some guys get caught and become even more lovable. Others..they become Larry Bigbie. 

Archived