Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

10 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Davis wasn't an MLB player last year, and if it wasn't for the contract he never would have had enough plate appearances to qualify for the batting title. 

I still think he is on this team and still gets enough at bats to qualify for the title, even if he is as bad as he was last year.  After this year, maybe they eat the remainder but not before, imho. 

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, foxfield said:

The longer he goes and the slower the bat, the more obvious.  But he had nagging injuries over the last couple years and Buck stuck with his guy.  You think Buck would have dumped him if not for the contract?   That wasn't how Buck worked.  But your right, he was not a MLB player based on his performance.  But ball players do earn rope and Davis has earned his.  Of course this will be year three and no one has that much rope.

I get it with the way the Orioles and Buck operated before this year that Davis was going to get his at bats no matter how painful it was to watch.

I absolutely believe the Davis situation gets addressed by the all star break this year if nothing changes.

Even if that ends up being Davis tripping over a pothole in the parking lot while having a friendly chat with Hyde. ?

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

I can't see Hyde letting Davis flounder for very long.  I think he will stop playing him in ST games and have him work with Don Long to see if they can find a new approach.

McDonald yesterday on radio said his swing plane was a little more flat. 

I would hope he can work on things and play in games at the same time. He will get plenty of days off like all the players. Spring games are the perfect time to get work in. 

17 hours ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

I heard the interview with Hyde and him saying he hadn’t talked to or heard from Davis. I get Davis being sick and what not but a simple phone call saying hey skip I’m in town but pretty ill I’ll be ready to roll as soon as the bug passes. 

I agree. This just makes no sense. I don’t get why Davis wouldn’t say he was in town.

Very odd. 

One thing to watch is how much he plays in the regular season. Will Hyde sit him vs LHP?

As we all know a ton is up for grabs this year but if Stewart makes the team that means Mullins, Davis and Stewart are all LH. I doubt Mullins will hit LHP well but I would rather see him and Stewart get the chance instead of Davis. Play Mancini at 1B and give someone like Jackson some at bats along with Rickard. 

14 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I agree. This just makes no sense. I don’t get why Davis wouldn’t say he was in town.

Very odd. 

I don’t understand why Davis would make that call.    He reported three days early.    Why would he call Hyde to say, hi skip I’m in town but I’m sick, so I’m not reporting in a week early?

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t understand why Davis would make that call.    He reported three days early.    Why would he call Hyde to say, hi skip I’m in town but I’m sick, so I’m not reporting in a week early?

Because it takes 2 seconds to send a text. Why would he not want to let them know he was sick? 

It isn’t a huge deal I just find it a bit odd not to touch base with your manager to let him know what is up. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Because it takes 2 seconds to send a text. Why would he not want to let them know he was sick? 

Because he wasn’t supposed to be there in the first place!    He’s not a pitcher, not a catcher, the position players weren’t due to report for several days and many of them hadn’t reported yet.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Because he wasn’t supposed to be there in the first place!    He’s not a pitcher, not a catcher, the position players weren’t due to report for several days and many of them hadn’t reported yet.   

I know that. I’m not trying to make a federal offense out of this. 

I don't see Davis getting anywhere close to 500 at bats. Hydes owes no allegiance to Davis and he will be trying to make a name for himself.  Reading quotes from Hyde so far he seems to be quite in tune with how to win games and having Davis in the line-up every day is going to help no one. 

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don't see Davis getting anywhere close to 500 at bats. Hydes owes no allegiance to Davis and he will be trying to make a name for himself.  Reading quotes from Hyde so far he seems to be quite in tune with how to win games and having Davis in the line-up every day is going to help no one. 

If Davis hits anything close to as badly as last year, he won’t sniff 500 at bats.    For now, I’m staying away from assuming Davis will be as bad as last year, even though I’m not optimistic.   I’m trying to keep an open mind.

30 minutes ago, atomic said:

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If Davis hits anything close to as badly as last year, he won’t sniff 500 at bats.    For now, I’m staying away from assuming Davis will be as bad as last year, even though I’m not optimistic.   I’m trying to keep an open mind.

No but he may get like 400, which is going to still seem like a tortuously large amount. It's going to be pretty interesting. 

Archived