Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

If Davis hits anything close to as badly as last year, he won’t sniff 500 at bats.    For now, I’m staying away from assuming Davis will be as bad as last year, even though I’m not optimistic.   I’m trying to keep an open mind.

If Davis does not have a good spring, he will be assigned to Long for indefinite retraining. He worked with no one from staff over the off season and had no interaction with management. He did his own chchchchanges.  We will see if his solo approach makes him a star again. Within three weeks. 

19 minutes ago, weams said:

If Davis does not have a good spring, he will be assigned to Long for indefinite retraining. He worked with no one from staff over the off season and had no interaction with management. He did his own chchchchanges.  We will see if his solo approach makes him a star again. Within three weeks. 

And he has already been quoted as saying something like "the full mechanics rebuild thing has not worked for me in the past (re: Texas)". I'm paraphrasing, but essentially that's what he said. I've always said the only real chance he has is a full and complete mechanical rebuild, however long it takes - and yes, it would take a long time and it would be frustrating for him. Unfortunately, he doesn't want to go that route.

I root for Chris, but it's tough at times to do so. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

And he has already been quoted as saying something like "the full mechanics rebuild thing has not worked for me in the past (re: Texas)". I'm paraphrasing, but essentially that's what he said. I've always said the only real chance he has is a full and complete mechanical rebuild, however long it takes - and yes, it would take a long time and it would be frustrating for him. Unfortunately, he doesn't want to go that route.

I root for Chris, but it's tough at times to do so. 

Me too. But I hold him accountable for the PED stuff and hiding his physical decline during negotiations. He had a much slower bat and never was seeing the ball right after signing. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Me too. But I hold him accountable for the PED stuff and hiding his physical decline during negotiations. He had a much slower bat and never was seeing the ball right after signing. 

How did he hide his physical decline during his contract negotiations? That's just nutty.His physical status was there for all to see. He wasn't hiding an injury. How could he with the O's physical?

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Because he wasn’t supposed to be there in the first place!    He’s not a pitcher, not a catcher, the position players weren’t due to report for several days and many of them hadn’t reported yet.   

You know why you make that call? Because you’re the highest paid player on the team. Because you’re a veteran and expected to be a clubhouse leader. Other guys showed up early so let’s not act like it don’t count for anything. 

Davis like some young guys is playing and fighting for his career. I’m sure a call to Hyde letting him know he’s in town and been there getting work in goes a long way. 

Theres this thing called respect. Davis needs to earn it. A phone call or text gets him on the right track. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

In fairness, the O’s had no staff for most of the winter.   Long was hired in mid-January.    Was Davis supposed to wait until then before figuring out what he was going to do this offseason?     Imagine the reaction on the OH if he’d done that!

Davis is going to get a couple of months of regular season time to show whether he’s been able to improve.    And yeah, it may be that Elias & co. may have a different diagnosis than the swing doctors Davis worked with this offseason.   We’ll see.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In fairness, the O’s had no staff for most of the winter.   Long was hired in mid-January.    Was Davis supposed to wait until then before figuring out what he was going to do this offseason?     Imagine the reaction on the OH if he’d done that!

Davis is going to get a couple of months of regular season time to show whether he’s been able to improve.    And yeah, it may be that Elias & co. may have a different diagnosis than the swing doctors Davis worked with this offseason.   We’ll see.

I imagine he could have reach out to Brian. Who was acting GM.  But sure. 

If I had had a new manager at any point in my life and I was the highest paid employee in the organization I would have looked to introduce myself at least. And maybe to ask if they had any special duty requests. But that was because I never had a guaranteed contract. 

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm afraid the O's will be stuck with Davis for 3 years. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

I imagine he could have reach out to Brian. Who was acting GM.  But sure. 

I’m all about results.    I will assume Davis made a good faith effort to address his problems this winter.    But if the results don’t come, it won’t matter.     

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m all about results.    I will assume Davis made a good faith effort to address his problems this winter.    But if the results don’t come, it won’t matter.     

Good point. I think he needs to temper his commentary until he has results. I'd ask to be allowed to work for a few months and then explain my poor performance. 

6 minutes ago, weams said:

If I had had a new manager at any point in my life and I was the highest paid employer in the organization I would have looked to introduce myself at least. An maybe to ask if they had any special duty requests. But that was because I never had a guaranteed contract. 

I would have thought it was on the GM/Manager to reach out to the player.    That’s what “managing” is.    And I’m pretty sure both Elias and Hyde indicated that they were going to do that.   For all we know, they did.    They may have been totally aware of whatever Davis was doing.    Has anyone indicated that they had no contact?

Archived