Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

Wow. Did you guys read the Cuddyer link? I did not know he did this. Ideally, Davis would have this same sort of honor. He would say to the Orioles, "Guys, I'm sorry it hasn't worked out. You have paid me richly. I will walk away from the game and I'll negotiate a 10M buyout." It will never happen, but if Davis had any honor, it would end this way. 

Yeah, I remember when Cuddyer did this.    It happens like once every 5-10 years.    If I recall correctly, Cuddyer considered retiring even before signing with the Mets.    

Gil Meche also walked away from the final year of his contract at $12 mm.

Mike Schmidt walked away 1/3 of the way through his final season because he wasn’t playing up to his standards.    

So yes, it happens, but it’s rare, and I don’t expect Davis to do it and I won’t fault him if he doesn’t.    He’ll just be doing what 95% of all players do, i.e., expecting the team to live up to his contract so long as he’s willing to play.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

After halfway through the season, the writing was on the wall.

The good news is there shouldn't be any doubt after another half season or so. But it may take longer than that before they are satisfied that he's tried all of their methods.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can think of a couple.

He can just retire and live a life of ease at 33.  It isn't as if he needs whatever money he would give up.

He seemed honestly unhappy last season.  If his failures on the diamond are causing him distress I could see it being worth it to give up a bit of money rather than be unhappy playing out the string for years.

It's a high stakes staring content. Davis knows that there's no scenario where they don't cut him so why would he accept less? He has ALL the leverage. 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So yes, it happens, but it’s rare, and I don’t expect Davis to do it 

It's hard to get inside someone else's head, but I think it's nearly impossible for any man to play 5 years the way Davis did last year without having a mental breakdown. Fans will be destroying him. Coaches and players will be giving him the side eye at every turn. He will be the elephant in the room, every time he walks into any baseball room, and in many private circumstances around all but his closest family and friends.

The pressure will be immense. All eyes will be on him, and all he'll have to do is go to the O's and negotiate a buy out to end it all and walk away still a wealthy man.

[Edit: Elias too has pressure from fans and players, but if he's really out for helping the bottom line of this organization, he will play hard ball with Davis by not bailing him out by cutting him.]

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

3 AB so far today 3 SO's. He doesn't even put the ball in play anymore

The shift has no impact on him because he can't even make hard contact

Well see, he made an adjustment to the shift. Now the shift has no effect on him. :D

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well see, he made an adjustment to the shift. Now the shift has no effect on him. :D

I know you're joking, but honestly if you were an opposing manager why would you bother? You'd be better off having your fielders conserve their energy. 

Thanks to a rule change last year (or the year before), managers can just hold up four fingers to give a batter an intentional walk.

We need a new rule for Davis that allows Hyde the ability to hold up three fingers so we don't have to sit through his at bats.

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

Thanks to a rule change last year (or the year before), managers can just hold up four fingers to give a batter an intentional walk.

We need a new rule for Davis that allows Hyde the ability to hold up three fingers so we don't have to sit through his at bats.

Its a really good idea, but his at bats are normally over before you can hold up 4 fingers.

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I know you're joking, but honestly if you were an opposing manager why would you bother? You'd be better off having your fielders conserve their energy. 

Perhaps they could just lay down on the grass and watch Davis’ at bats from there.    

1 hour ago, jtschrei said:

Wow. Did you guys read the Cuddyer link? I did not know he did this. Ideally, Davis would have this same sort of honor. He would say to the Orioles, "Guys, I'm sorry it hasn't worked out. You have paid me richly. I will walk away from the game and I'll negotiate a 10M buyout." It will never happen, but if Davis had any honor, it would end this way. 

So, if you are the FO, how do you encourage and foster a buyout? Play him everyday until it's so embarrassing that he has to walk away, right? I don't think they should release him. He'll just take the money. I think he needs to have a worse overall season than he did last year. Then, he would accept a buyout of some kind... unless he's evil... which I don't think he is. 

I'm ready to part ways with Davis as much as anybody, but I hate hearing things like "he doesn't have honor" or "he's evil" because he doesn't want to just retire and give back a hundred million dollars. Davis and the Orioles agreed to a contract. It's not Davis's responsibility to just walk away from it because it has worked out horribly for the Orioles. Why would you expect anyone to leave that kind of money on the table?

The O's made a colossal mistake and now they have to deal with it.

13 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Can I recommend that we allow him to hold up one finger on one hand and two on the other? You can probably guess what finger I'm going to pick for the one. ;)  

Archived