Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, waroriole said:

I think asking him to do it at all is a bit much. If a guy seriously outperforms his contract do teams ever say “here’s some more money, great job?” It’s not like he’s a malcontent he just seems to have lost the ability to hit a baseball. That contract is on the O’s. 

I don't disagree with any of that.

I just said I'd be ecstatic if he did take that type of buyout.

18 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

A Bonilla type buyout deal may be only way out. Say 5 million a year for 20 years. I don’t think Davis takes it, but I would offer it. 

I think he should. That's a 100 million and isn't he owed 92 million?

7 hours ago, jamalshw said:

With the sunk cost mentality, it would make sense to just release him. I would argue that not only are the ABs more valuable elsewhere, but the 40-man spot could be put to much better use. If you're going to keep him beyond Spring Training (and they are) it makes sense to me to give him the ABs to try and show he can rediscover something and be semi-useful. As unlikely as it is, it would a waste to use him in a utility role. I think there's a spot for him at 1B/DH for a while until the team's ready to move up Diaz and/or Hays and slide Mancini to 1B/DH full-time. Once that time comes, I want him gone unless he's miraculously hitting near .700+ OPS which seems nearly impossible.

This a bit of a misapplication of sunk cost. His contract is a sunk cost. We don’t avoid it by cutting him and moody is asking us to throw new money at him. Application could be valid if he were directly blocking someone and/or we were in a place to compete and actively roatering him hurt our chances.   

If anything, proper application of the sunk cost concept may be to let him spend a year trying to get back to form because it doesn’t cost any new money and he’s achieved higher highs than anyone on our roster. 

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

A Bonilla type buyout deal may be only way out. Say 5 million a year for 20 years. I don’t think Davis takes it, but I would offer it. 

Different scenarios entirely.  Bonilla took deferred money as contract payment, with interest.  Most teams offering deferred money now, which we did to Davis on this deal, comes without interest.  Specifically because of Bonilla.  

Davis is owed the entirety of this contract unless he retires.  MLB contracts aren't like the NFL, they are fully guaranteed.  

1 hour ago, cheecks said:

Can we make things uncomfortable for him by stashing him in A ball the whole year until he accepts a buyout?

MLBPA would fight it tooth and nail and wins the case for the client.  Beyond retiring, there is no way the Orioles avoid paying the entire contract amount.  

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Did Bonilla take a buyout?   I don't think so.

He just deferred $ from his deal.   Which actually benefits the team more than him.   Eveyr time someone makes a joke about him being paid until 203--whatever, thinking that he got some kind of sweetheart deal, they are getting it backwards.   He actually is deferring money that would have been more beneficial to him if he got it while he was still playing.   People who laugh at the Mets for still having to pay him are completely missing the point, if they had paid the money while he was playing they would have been worse off.

10 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

MLBPA would fight it tooth and nail and wins the case for the client.  Beyond retiring, there is no way the Orioles avoid paying the entire contract amount.  

Or a failed drug test?

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Did Bonilla take a buyout?   I don't think so.

He just deferred $ from his deal.   Which actually benefits the team more than him.   Eveyr time someone makes a joke about him being paid until 203--whatever, thinking that he got some kind of sweetheart deal, they are getting it backwards.   He actually is deferring money that would have been more beneficial to him if he got it while he was still playing.   People who laugh at the Mets for still having to pay him are completely missing the point, if they had paid the money while he was playing they would have been worse off.

It wasn’t a buyout, you’re right. I didn’t mean to imply that Bonilla’s deal was s buyout. I meant to say a Bonilla-like buyout deal in reference to pay structure. I would make an offer. 

14 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Different scenarios entirely.  Bonilla took deferred money as contract payment, with interest.  Most teams offering deferred money now, which we did to Davis on this deal, comes without interest.  Specifically because of Bonilla.  

Davis is owed the entirety of this contract unless he retires.  MLB contracts aren't like the NFL, they are fully guaranteed.  

Yes, I know that. I know he’s owed his entire deal. But I would try to find an amount of deferred money that Davis would take to avoid the living hell his career has become. I said I don’t think he would say yes, but it’s worth an attemp. In that vein, I would play him every day for the first couple of months. 

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Play him every single day and let him continue to live with the shame of becoming the most overpaid, worst hitter in ML history. Davis will eventually break and come to the Orioles with some kind of buyout compromise.  

Unless the Elias can convince the Angelos sons to eat the remainder of the contract and DFA Davis.

I know the Orioles are going to be bad, but there is no reason Davis should take up a spot on the 25 man roster if he doesn’t show any improvement by Memorial Day. 

Archived