Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

19 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Unless the Elias can convince the Angelos sons to eat the remainder of the contract and DFA Davis.

I know the Orioles are going to be bad, but there is no reason Davis should take up a spot on the 25 man roster if he doesn’t show any improvement by Memorial Day. 

It sure would be nice to see them move on, a great sign of optimism that new leadership is truly in charge and they will let the GM do what is needed.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Play him every single day and let him continue to live with the shame of becoming the most overpaid, worst hitter in ML history. Davis will eventually break and come to the Orioles with some kind of buyout compromise.  

Or the Orioles fanbase will eventually break and the Nats will miraculously find a one million ticket windfall year after year.  Once all the coaching remedies are exhausted which should take a season at most and preferably less, Chris Davis should be thought of as a business loss for the Orioles and nothing more.

3 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

The Orioles have to pay Davis. They can not assign him to minor leagues without his permission. If he says no, they still have to pay him. 

They don't need his permission to remove him from the 40 man. The money to be paid is only if he accepts the assignment. If he refuses he doesn't get paid.

3 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

It sure would be nice to see them move on, a great sign of optimism that new leadership is truly in charge and they will let the GM do what is needed.

Agreed 100%. There is no value add if Davis continues to play this poorly and mope around another season.

If he played plus defense or was a great leader maybe you give him a little more rope. 

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don’t think it works that way. Phillies would have done that to get out of Ryan Howard’s contract.

You are correct. Davis has 5 years of service and can refuse the assignment and still get paid. They think of everything.?

24 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

They don't need his permission to remove him from the 40 man. The money to be paid is only if he accepts the assignment. If he refuses he doesn't get paid.

Looks like you figured it out in follow up post. 

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

Yes, I know that. I know he’s owed his entire deal. But I would try to find an amount of deferred money that Davis would take to avoid the living hell his career has become. I said I don’t think he would say yes, but it’s worth an attemp. In that vein, I would play him every day for the first couple of months. 

MLBPA would never let it happen.  They've got guaranteed contracts and no player is going to risk giving that up for future players.  It's just not going to happen.  

7 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

MLBPA would never let it happen.  They've got guaranteed contracts and no player is going to risk giving that up for future players.  It's just not going to happen.  

Pray tell how would they stop it?

Also players have accepted buyouts in the past.

Davis is done. There is no dilemma. We all know what happens from here. The only questions remaining are when and whether there is a way to save any money. And those questions will certainly be resolved in due time. 

Not on OH time, but due time. 

On 3/22/2019 at 9:51 PM, foxfield said:

Davis is done. There is no dilemma. We all know what happens from here. The only questions remaining are when and whether there is a way to save any money. And those questions will certainly be resolved in due time. 

Not on OH time, but due time. 

15 Ks in 33 official plate appearances. Wow, although 6 walks have kept his OBP over .300. I'm glad I've been spared the spectacle living out here across the Pacific.

Archived