Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

10 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Hope we don't lose a nugget to waivers just so we can keep Davis for another 2 months.

Be decisive Mike, release Davis this week!!!

Why would he release Davis as he fits right in with the rest of the team.  Not one move Elias has made was done to make the team better.  And we wont lose any nuggets because of Davis.  

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Pray tell how would they stop it?

Also players have accepted buyouts in the past.

There are protections to sending a player to the minors and keeping him there if they have reached certain counting levels, which Davis has by far surpassed.  Basically, it can only be for rehab while on the DL, or he can accept an assignment to the minors to work on certain items, but there has to be an end time noted when he is brought back up.  

Players accept buyouts when they have a team option on a contract.  There is normally a buyout to that option where the player receives compensation if the option isn't picked up.  MLB teams can not buy someone out of a contract.  

Of course, the following clause was noted by Business Insider to be in every MLB contract, but they also note that any contract signed by a high priced free agent would look different than this.  If the Red Sox had to pay Pablo Sandoval, who falls under 2-3 of those categories, there is no way that the Orioles will get out of paying Chris Davis.  End of discussion.  

• The team may terminate the contract if the player fails, refuses or neglects to exhibit "good citizenship and good sportsmanship or to keep himself in first-class physical condition," or fails "to exhibit sufficient skill" to remain a member of the team.

https://www.businessinsider.com/uniform-major-league-baseball-contract-2011-4

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Why would he release Davis as he fits right in with the rest of the team.  Not one move Elias has made was done to make the team better.  And we wont lose any nuggets because of Davis.  

The goal is to get 3-4 years of high draft picks and let players develop.  Of course, unless you want consistent mediocrity like we had the past decade, spending on veteran utility players and bullpen arms just to reach 75 wins.  If you like that, then the Pittsburgh Pirates might be the team for you right now.  

Lets face it, none of the players we have in AA or above are ready to contribute.  The countdown has started on Austin Hays, but he was injured last year, missed the bulk of the season and struggled when he did play.  Give him another few months to get his feet back under him.  We are in no hurry to compete right now.  

22 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

The goal is to get 3-4 years of high draft picks and let players develop.  Of course, unless you want consistent mediocrity like we had the past decade, spending on veteran utility players and bullpen arms just to reach 75 wins.  If you like that, then the Pittsburgh Pirates might be the team for you right now.  

Lets face it, none of the players we have in AA or above are ready to contribute.  The countdown has started on Austin Hays, but he was injured last year, missed the bulk of the season and struggled when he did play.  Give him another few months to get his feet back under him.  We are in no hurry to compete right now.  

Definitely not this year, but next year it may make sense to start selectively signing a few placeholder players to 1, 2 or 3-year deals that can be flipped at the deadline should they perform well.

On 3/21/2019 at 3:38 PM, Frobby said:

Yeah, I remember when Cuddyer did this.    It happens like once every 5-10 years.    If I recall correctly, Cuddyer considered retiring even before signing with the Mets.    

Gil Meche also walked away from the final year of his contract at $12 mm.

Mike Schmidt walked away 1/3 of the way through his final season because he wasn’t playing up to his standards.    

So yes, it happens, but it’s rare, and I don’t expect Davis to do it and I won’t fault him if he doesn’t.    He’ll just be doing what 95% of all players do, i.e., expecting the team to live up to his contract so long as he’s willing to play.

I get your point here Frobby. But I believe last year was hard on Davis. I think another year of the horrible results (I believe Davis is a pretty proud guy) and the constant booing at home will take its toll.

I hope Trumbo gets off to a good Trumbo-like start and can be dealt at the break. At that point move Chris to DH and live with his struggles everyday. I really think this will eventually take its toll and hopefully Chris will either retire or look for a buyout.

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I get your point here Frobby. But I believe last year was hard on Davis. I think another year of the horrible results (I believe Davis is a pretty proud guy) and the constant booing at home will take its toll.

I hope Trumbo gets off to a good Trumbo-like start and can be dealt at the break. At that point move Chris to DH and live with his struggles everyday. I really think this will eventually take its toll and hopefully Chris will either retire or look for a buyout.

It could play out that way.    Or, Davis could just clog up a roster spot, preventing the team from aligning in an optimal way and possibly having a detrimental affect on clubhouse morale.    And driving away fans.    

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It could play out that way.    Or, Davis could just clog up a roster spot, preventing the team from aligning in an optimal way and possibly having a detrimental affect on clubhouse morale.    And driving away fans.    

Agreed, I think this is more important than many think.  Also, forcing Davis to play in hopes he is embarrassed into retirement, will not in any way wear well on the new regime.  

8 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Definitely not this year, but next year it may make sense to start selectively signing a few placeholder players to 1, 2 or 3-year deals that can be flipped at the deadline should they perform well.

Because players that can't do better than Baltimore will be in demand at the deadline.

Until the Angelosii buy into the fact that CD is done, he's a starter or on the DL working on his game.  We all seem to agree he doesn't belong on the field with the new players and regime.  I hope this is the only thing the old regime is holding fast to, because it just doesn't seem as though Elias would hold onto such a non performer if he wasn't being made to.  Playing him constantly in his misery and ineffectiveness reflects badly on the team.   Parking him on the 40-man and not playing him would be as bad, imo.

He's an albatross.  Just needs to go.  I'd be working on a lump sum buyout.

4 hours ago, foxfield said:

Agreed, I think this is more important than many think.  Also, forcing Davis to play in hopes he is embarrassed into retirement, will not in any way wear well on the new regime.  

The O's have a budget.  From Elias and Hyde's perspective, they would make a small sacrifice now in order to potentially free up some more room to sign guys in the future.

We can keep Davis on roster and force him to travel, etc. and play him only in low leverage situations.  

On 3/21/2019 at 7:40 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Unless the Elias can convince the Angelos sons to eat the remainder of the contract and DFA Davis.

I know the Orioles are going to be bad, but there is no reason Davis should take up a spot on the 25 man roster if he doesn’t show any improvement by Memorial Day. 

I'm sure he'll make the case, but I'm also sure that Angelos' response would be that Davis' contract isn't something they can just move off budget.   So if the O's payroll budget for the next 4 years with Davis is X, it will also be X without Davis.  So the team would benefit by coming up with a way reduce Davis' contribution to that budget, if possible. 

Rebuilds take time and Elias and Hyde shouldn't be evaluated much at all until after year 3 to 4.   So they have some time to set things up so they are more competitive down the road.

48 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

The O's have a budget.  From Elias and Hyde's perspective, they would make a small sacrifice now in order to potentially free up some more room to sign guys in the future.

We can keep Davis on roster and force him to travel, etc. and play him only in low leverage situations.  

Well, there should be plenty of those.   

Archived