Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I'm sure he'll make the case, but I'm also sure that Angelos' response would be that Davis' contract isn't something they can just move off budget.   So if the O's payroll budget for the next 4 years with Davis is X, it will also be X without Davis.  So the team would benefit by coming up with a way reduce Davis' contribution to that budget, if possible. 

Rebuilds take time and Elias and Hyde shouldn't be evaluated much at all until after year 3 to 4.   So they have some time to set things up so they are more competitive down the road.

That is why GMs love rebuilds so much.  They get paid millions of dollars and they can make tons if mistakes and still keep their jobs.

24 minutes ago, atomic said:

That is why GMs love rebuilds so much.  They get paid millions of dollars and they can make tons if mistakes and still keep their jobs.

Rebuilds take time, as Guido said, but that doesn’t mean you can’t evaluate things.    Some key indicia for me:

1.   What’s the ratio of players who improve vs. players who regress or stagnate?    Mostly focused on younger players including the guys in the minors.     

2.   How do the players we acquire do compared to the guys we jettison?

3.   Do we start seeing some progress on the international front?    We won’t have many “big” signings this year, but do we find some late-developing nuggets?

4.  Does it feel like the different parts of the organization are on the same page?

I’m sure there are other things, but those are things I’m paying attention to.

Joe Trezza with an honest appraisal of the Chris Davis scenario (to wit):

"He is the Orioles’ player rep and the antithesis of basically everyone he shares a clubhouse with, age-, bankroll- and baggage-wise. He is Baltimore’s largest cost certainty and its biggest unknown, all wrapped in one. He is many things, stupid not one of them."

“I made a commitment, and I’m going to stick with that commitment. Whether it works out or not, we’ll see. I feel like it’s my responsibility as a man to honor that commitment,” he said. “But I think it would be foolish of me to say I expect them to sit back and do nothing [if] another season like last year is going on.”

"It behooves us, and it behooves Chris and it behooves the Boras Corporation, to collaborate and share notes on how we can turn his performance around this year," Elias said. "I just want to see his productivity get better. He's on the team. He's on the team for a while.”

“I just want Chris Davis to enjoy being here and have a good year,” Hyde said recently. “I like Chris a lot. I think he’s done a lot of good work this camp. When the season comes, I’m looking forward to him being a big part of our lineup.”

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/chris-davis-orioles-great-unknown

On 3/18/2019 at 9:08 PM, Hallas said:

Cabrera was positive last year, and would have been slightly better than league average if he wasn't hurt and put up the same numbers as he did when he did play.

I saw Cabrera a few times this week and he could not have been more disinterested. His swing was slow and he looked awful. That’s just at the plate. In the field he was even worse. Still rather have him than Crush

25 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I saw Cabrera a few times this week and he could not have been more disinterested. His swing was slow and he looked awful. That’s just at the plate. In the field he was even worse. Still rather have him than Crush

Victor Martinez is gone why would the Tigers even think about putting Cabrera at 1B 

49 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

OK, if Davis can pull that off he can stay on the team.

Theoretically if he were to do that, it would be 160 total bases/500 ABs, which means  SLG of .320,  OBP would be a dismal .80 (40 H/500 PAs), so actually worse than he did last year.    If you add 50 walks it would push his OBP to 90/550 = .163, which is still a horrible OPS of .483

Archived