Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Mark Belanger had a career .580 OPS so last season you could justify his batting if he was one of the two best fielding players of all time.  

With Belanger it could be justified because he ranks top 2 or 3 all time at SS.

Even if Davis was that good at 1B defensively, you still couldn't justify playing him because 1B is not valued highly for defense.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, atomic said:

Mark Belanger had a career .580 OPS so last season you could justify his batting if he was one of the two best fielding players of all time.  

If CD was one of the two best shortstops of all time,  sure.  Or returned to being a bullpen guy, sure.  But even Belanger was able to be kept because he was on some of the best offensive clubs in history.  Not too many HOFers taking up CDs slack on this year’s squad.   

i agree with the post of just putting him out there all the time until he either succeeds or quits. 

14 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

If CD was one of the two best shortstops of all time,  sure.  Or returned to being a bullpen guy, sure.  But even Belanger was able to be kept because he was on some of the best offensive clubs in history.  Not too many HOFers taking up CDs slack on this year’s squad.   

i agree with the post of just putting him out there all the time until he either succeeds or quits. 

I'll save you a seat at the Rickard ceremony. ?

58 minutes ago, btkidd01 said:

I am so sick of hearing about Chris Davis and how bad he sucks. However, i was thinking...and i apologize if this has already been brought up in one of the 12 Chris Davis sucks threads. But, is there anything in his contract that says that he can't be demoted. Or what happens if they DFA him. Obviously no one would pick him up. What if they were to do so, and he just said Nope! Don't want to do that, and decided to retire? Would we then be required to pay the rest of the contract? I'd give him 75 at bats in AAA, and if he is under 250, send him to AA. Another 75 at bats, under 250, A. Maybe that's not the message the Orioles want to send. Just spit balling here

You are still on the hook for all of the money, even if you DFA him.  And you can't send him down to the minors without his consent.  It's just an albatross situation unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

If CD was one of the two best shortstops of all time,  sure.  Or returned to being a bullpen guy, sure.  But even Belanger was able to be kept because he was on some of the best offensive clubs in history. 

Belanger was a 40 WAR player.    309th all time among position players, 40th all time among shortstops.   Pretty much any team would have carried him, despite his light bat, with a few exceptions.   

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Haven't read through the whole thread, but Davis made the Drudge Report under the title "Baseball’s Worst Hitter Still Hasn’t Hit Bottom" thanks to a Wall Street Journal piece on his struggles.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/baseballs-worst-hitter-still-hasnt-hit-bottom-11554465853

I'm planning on writing something up today or tomorrow on my thoughts after watching him yesterday and some interesting things observed before his interview.

Careful. He'll hit three homers.

6 minutes ago, O's84 said:

You are still on the hook for all of the money, even if you DFA him.  And you can't send him down to the minors without his consent.  It's just an albatross situation unfortunately.

I wonder if he’d consent to go to the minors.     To me, that would be an honorable thing to do.    He has to know he’s hurting the team.    

Problem is, I doubt he’d hit .200 or get his K rate down below 35% in the minors.    He’s that lost.   

I have said before and will say again.  I feel for Davis.  But I am also sort of comfortably numb to the situation.  I mean, I genuinely hope he turns it around.  But we are not talking about a slow start.  Or a slow start after a bad finish.  He is going on three years of documented decline that has increased fairly constantly.  The folks that root for him are declining and I think that is sad.  Chris Davis didn't make a mistake signing with the Orioles.  The Orioles made a mistake in signing Chris Davis.  End of story.  

You want to question his work ethic?  Sure...fine.  I just don't see any evidence that if he only tried harder he would hit 50 home runs.  If it were that easy, we would all be in the MLB.  Chris Davis, will likely get a hit.  He may hit a home run, or even a few.  But this isn't a slump.  It's what he is today.  That's the sad but very bad news.

However....there is some good news.  How is that possible?  Well many think ownership is dictating playing Chris and unbelievably there are people here who think he will stay on the roster for all of this season and the next three as his contract runs that long.  Just today, USA Today, NY Post, Washington Post and Drudge Report have jumped on the bandwagon of watching the disaster that is Chris Davis.  His at bats have become the equivalent of scheduling 3 NASCAR Crashes at specific times...The Orioles are 9 games in and Chris Davis is one of the biggest stories in baseball.

I thought this would end differently, I had hoped and stated that I thought the Orioles would find a way to keep him in Florida.  But I was wrong.  But I think I was wrong because I thought the Orioles were going to do everything they thought could be done to help Davis.  It is clear to me now, that the Elias and company have in fact determined that Chris Davis is done.  The end is near.  We are simply waiting for the final curtain.

Sadly, that is the good news. 

There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship smoke on the horizon
You are only coming through in waves
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
When I was a child
I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown
The dream is gone
I have become comfortably numb.

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Belanger was a 40 WAR player.    309th all time among position players, 40th all time among shortstops.   Pretty much any team would have carried him, despite his light bat, with a few exceptions.   

Andrelton Simmons put up a 75 OPS+ in 2014 and still had 576 PA.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

The one enjoyment we get from this team is mocking Davis' ineptitude at baseball. Don't take that away from us. 

I get no enjoyment from this. If you do, that says a lot about you. There are plenty of other things to enjoy about this season - follow the young players' progress, enjoy the wins against the AL East thus far, etc. 

Archived