Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Did he, at any point, have a stretch like this last year?  It's an extremely SSS but there could be hope.

No, he didn’t.    I’m not allowing myself to feel optimistic just yet, but this is the best he’s looked in 2 years IMO.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I figured as much.  I couldn't remember anything like that from him last year.  

Davis had a 7 game stretch last year where he hit .357/.400/.393.   And that was immediately before he hit .027/.100/.054 to finish the season.  

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well I think we'd all kinda tuned the Orioles out by that point.  I don't remember that.  

According to Mewlewski, Davis has no trouble hitting the heater:

Davis hit two balls in play at 95 mph or more. He has hit 18 of 34 balls in play over 95 mph so far this season, and his percentage of 52.9 is the highest on the club.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think he’s talking about the exit velocity off the bat, not the speed of the pitch.   

I've been saying his peripherals have looked pretty good, even during the epic slump, and perhaps we're seeing the results of that. Let's see if it continues. 

His batting stance, etc looks completely the same to me, so I'm very curious as to what they tinkered with following Elias' involvement. 

38 minutes ago, interloper said:

I've been saying his peripherals have looked pretty good, even during the epic slump, and perhaps we're seeing the results of that. Let's see if it continues. 

His batting stance, etc looks completely the same to me, so I'm very curious as to what they tinkered with following Elias' involvement. 

I heard they have been working with him a lot but I still believe it's mostly between the ears.

“I’m in a better position to attack the ball now,” Davis said. “The bat path is more direct, there is less wasted movement, and I feel like I’m starting to see a little more of a return at the end of the day.”

Those concepts -- posture, body position, bat path -- have been the pillar of Davis’ focus for months now, both this winter with personal instructor Mike Brumley and during his in-season work with hitting coaches Don Long and Howie Clark. Tuesday’s results provided another tangible payoff for Davis, who has caught fire since his historic hitless streak ended earlier this month. Davis is now 9-for-25 (.360) since snapping his 0-for-54 skid, with five extra-base hits and two home runs. He also improved to 12-for-38 (.316) with five home runs lifetime against Nova, who matched a career high by allowing nine earned runs.

“It’s a positive sign,” Davis said. “It’s good to see a little bit of fruit for all the labor I’ve put in and I’m going to keep going.”

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-defeat-white-sox-with-4-home-runs

I believe that's the first I've heard about Mike Brumley. Interesting. 

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-defeat-white-sox-with-4-home-runs

I believe that's the first I've heard about Mike Brumley. Interesting. 

As an aside, I am really liking Joe Trezza’s willingness to look at and present analytic data in his reporting and tweets.   He doesn’t overdo it, but he’s definitely willing to go there and presents it in a simple, understandable way.   

Archived