Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

And strikeouts are even funnier, because the standards have so radically changed over history, especially in the past 30-40 years.  In 1980 Omar Moreno had the 10th-most strikeouts in baseball with 101.  Today the average player strikes out 139 times per 600 PAs. 

In 1957 Duke Snider led MLB with 104 Ks.  There have been six teams since 2013 who had seven individual players strike out 104 or more times.

It's pretty amazing that Reggie still holds the MLB career mark.  I assume that (absent any major rules changes) in my lifetime someone will retire with close to 3500 Ks.  Bill James has this rule of thumb that any career record that's less than 15 years of league-leading performance is vulnerable.  Over the past decade the league-leading (batter) K mark is just over 200, so 15 years of that is over 3000.  It's not a matter of if, but when.

Justin Upton - 1720 strikeouts through age 30 season.

Giancarlo Stanton - 1351 strikeouts through age 28 season.

Both those guys are pretty good candidates to pass Reggie.    Both are hurt now, thus slowing their climb up the ladder.    

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Justin Upton - 1720 strikeouts through age 30 season.

Giancarlo Stanton - 1351 strikeouts through age 28 season.

Both those guys are pretty good candidates to pass Reggie.    Both are hurt now, thus slowing their climb up the ladder.    

I'm rooting for Mark Reynolds, but he's a longshot at 1897 Ks and he turns 36 in August.  He only has about 300 PAs and 91 Ks since the start of '18.  Currently 10th all time.

Bryce Harper has a decent shot at Reggie.  He has 877 strikeouts by age 26.  If he were to play to 40 and his K rate goes up a small amount he would need about 12000 PAs to get the current record.  Trout could get there, too, if he played past 40.

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

He's heating up folks!

17 for 55 (.309) with 3 walks, "only" 16 Ks, 4 homers, and 14 RBIs in his 19 games since the end of the drought (three of which included zero or just one at-bat). He's gotten a hit 11 of the 16 games in which he had more than one at-bat. Smoothly and methodically poked an oppo Texas-leaguer for his RBI-single today before hitting a vintage Crusher to right-center for the solo home run. Plus stellar defense in recent games.

A good game today or tomorrow (right-handers starting both for the Angels) will put his BA over .200 for the first time since the end of the *2017* season (a long stretch of 558 at-bats). His current .193 is already his highest point since then.

12 minutes ago, LA2 said:

17 for 55 (.309) with 3 walks, "only" 16 Ks, 4 homers, and 14 RBIs in his 19 games since the end of the drought (three of which included zero or just one at-bat). He's gotten a hit 11 of the 16 games in which he had more than one at-bat. Smoothly and methodically poked an oppo Texas-leaguer for his RBI-single today before hitting a vintage Crusher to right-center for the solo home run. Plus stellar defense in recent games.

I’m not fooled. 

4 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

I’m not fooled. 

Obviously a SSS and no bets on it being sustained more than very intermittently over the long haul of the season, but I'm glad at least that it is happening just as some other hitters, such as Nunez, are in the doldrums, as they used to say.

13 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Obviously a SSS and no bets on it being sustained more than very intermittently over the long haul of the season, but I'm glad at least that it is happening just as some other hitters, such as Nunez, are in the doldrums, as they used to say.

I’m glad to see Davis doing better. It wasn’t good for anyone to be in that sustained slump. 

I’m curious to see how long this lasts before the next slump. 

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

He now has as many RBI'S as Mancini and same amount of strikeouts Granted it is with 50 less AB's.But he us now going nowhere with his salary at least through part of next season and probably most if not all of his contract .

That's quite surprising. Must be tied to the fact that he's done so much better than Mancini when batting with RISP. Coming into the last game, his OPS with RISP was .787 in 31 PAs vs. Trey's .632 in 35 PAs; that difference increases if you include that game.

22 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So let's play optimist. What do you think is the best thing that can happen with Davis now? I'm sure we agree that he will not return to his glory days with the O's right?

Thing is, to me this is just about the worst case scenario.  Davis has been bad but has shown enough that he isn't going anywhere.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Thing is, to me this is just about the worst case scenario.  Davis has been bad but has shown enough that he isn't going anywhere.

There’s the human side of this and the long term team side.    On the human side, I don’t want Davis embarrassing himself.    On the long term team side, I’d rather see him embarrass himself so badly that the team cuts bait and cuts him, as opposed to playing right at replacement level and clogging up 1B/DH and a roster spot and forcing other guys to play out of position or languish in the minors even though they’re ready for their shot.    I don’t think we know yet where Davis’ performance will fall on the spectrum, so I’m just taking a wait and see attitude, though I’m generally pessimistic he’ll play well enough to deserve a roster spot.   

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So let's play optimist. What do you think is the best thing that can happen with Davis now? I'm sure we agree that he will not return to his glory days with the O's right?

Most expensive 26th man in baseball once rosters expand to 26 next season. Could be one of the best or worst bench players in the game. Role model for the new, young first baseman, Mountcastle.

Archived