Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

Last night is what Davis wants to do. It's hard to hit those high fly balls when you know they aren't going to carry early on because of the crappy weather. I've said it before, once the weather heats up his homers will come. 

Last night he raised his OPS 50 pts. The only person he's not around OPS wise is Schoop. So he's putting up the same numbers as Machado and Jones basically. 

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the earlier discussion about Davis and bunting to the left side may confuse the issue a little, IMO. I don't want Davis trying to fight the shift by trying, when he comes up against an extreme shift, to drop a bunt or ground ball to the left side. 

But I would like to see two things. The first is for Davis to develop and demonstrate an ability to drop a bunt or hit a left-side ground ball. It's incomprehensible to me that a player who is hurt so much by defensive shifts wouldn't want to show that he can counteract them and make the defense decide whether to consider or ignore that possibility in deciding how to shift vs. him. Maybe Davis has tried to develop this ability and been unable to do so, but that seems unlikely.

Second, when Davis comes up in a situation where the Orioles really need a baserunnner -- say, leading off in the eighth or later of a tie game -- wouldn't it be more valuable to have him execute that play if he has, say, 1 75% chance of reaching base, rather than take his ordinary bat with the possibility of a HR or other hit? I think there are situations in which that's true, especially with the Orioles' run-scoring (and Davis' HR rate) down and the team involved in so many close, low-scoring games with a no-longer-dominant bullpen.

So why not? Is it because Davis hasn't tried, he can't do it, or he can but Buck considers it a bad strategy in every offensive situation? 

1 minute ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I have no idea why this is so hard for some to understand. Davis IS NOT paid 21.8M just to be a table setter. He's getting paid to clear the table.

That would explain why his last seven home runs have been solo shots.

Oh wait...

4 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I have no idea why this is so hard for some to understand. Davis IS NOT paid 21.8M just to be a table setter. He's getting paid to clear the table.

I thought he was bring paid to take third strikes.     

I don't think trying to bunt his way on or hit one to the left side once a week or so would really impair his ability to hit home runs.    But it might keep defenses more honest.  

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That would explain why his last seven home runs have been solo shots.

Oh wait...

If AJ and especially Manny would actually start hitting, maybe he'll start hitting more 2 run shots.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought he was bring paid to take third strikes.     

I don't think trying to bunt his way on or hit one to the left side once a week or so would really impair his ability to hit home runs.    But it might keep defenses more honest.  

I agree that he should have developed the ability to hit to the left side more often by now. As for bunting, teams would rather have a power hitter lay one down than the alternative.

1 minute ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I agree that he should have developed the ability to hit to the left side more often by now. As for bunting, teams would rather have a power hitter lay one down than the alternative.

In my opinion, it's all a trade-off.    What's the game situation?   Is Davis hot or cold?    If the odds of Davis hitting a homer are 18-1 but his odds of getting on base via a bunt are (let's say) 1-1, there are many situations where the bunt would make way more sense than approaching the at bat in the usual way.

On 5/5/2017 at 4:31 PM, webbrick2010 said:

Ooops sorry, he hit .221 for a full year last year. Now he's hitting .226, so I guess he is trending up.

On 5/5/2017 at 10:05 PM, backwardsk said:

He's batting .250, now.  If it keeps going up .029 points every few hours, he'll likely win the batting title.

o

His OBP is .376, now.

These early-season trends are wicked.

o

Archived