Harper to Phillies

weams

7 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

That was my thought as well.  L.A. and S.F. aren't giving out 10 year deals.    I've said before, they're looking for the Lerners to rescue them and save face.  However, the Lerners know they'll be doing this dance again this year with Rendon and Boras.   The real definition of "stupid money" would be Philly upping their offer when no one is where they are now.   I can't imagine any valuation of Harper being tens of millions more than Machado long term and Philly should know it.

I suspect MacPhail and Klentak know it but ownership has been involved from the get-go.  If there is a key to Boras' genius, this is it IMO.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I imagine his pros / cons list for Philly looks something like this. 

Pros 
- $$$$$$s
- Authentic cheese steaks
- They can't throw snowballs stuffed with batteries at me in the summertime

Cons
- Everything else

I dont consider cheese steaks with cheese whiz on them a positive.  

17 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Only tourists get those. Best cheesesteaks are at your corner take out place

philips-steaks-exterior-jzale-for-vp-120

Philip's

https://www.yelp.com/biz/philips-steaks-philadelphia

Cheez Whiz Original Plain Cheese Dip - Kraft Cheez Whiz Original Plain Cheese Dip is prepared with high quality ingredients and has a superbly yummy and luxurious taste you're sure to love. Delicious cheese is blended with Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and mustard flour to create this tempting cheese dip that adds exquisite flavor to any dish. Versatile Flavor - With delicious ingredients and original flavors, Cheez Whiz Original Plain Cheese Dip has a unique taste that will wake your taste buds up.

9 minutes ago, weams said:

Philip's

Cheez Whiz Original Plain Cheese Dip - Kraft Cheez Whiz Original Plain Cheese Dip is prepared with high quality ingredients and has a superbly yummy and luxurious taste you're sure to love. Delicious cheese is blended with Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and mustard flour to create this tempting cheese dip that adds exquisite flavor to any dish. Versatile Flavor - With delicious ingredients and original flavors, Cheez Whiz Original Plain Cheese Dip has a unique taste that will wake your taste buds up.

Never been there. I try not to go to south Philly too much. The bread looks great, even if the meat looks like shoe leather

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t mind the city of Philadelphia.    I’ve been there as a tourist a few times and enjoyed it.    Dealing with their hyper-negative fan base is an issue, but I don’t know that living in/near Philly is all that bad.    

I thought it was notable that Roy Halladay’s wife chose to have him wear a neutral hat because he was treated very well both in Toronto and Philly.    Of course, Halladay was fortunate enough to play for two division winners there and pitched a no-hitter in a playoff game for them, so it’s not surprising that he was treated well.   Cliff Lee liked it there too.    

I happen to live in the North Philly burbs. In fact, I live very close to where Jim Thome lived when he played for the Phillies. It's absolutely beautiful up here and incredibly underrated.

As for Philly fans...the national media has it blown completely out of proportion. The fans up here are passionate, but not nearly as crude as other places I've been (including some trips to Camden Yards and Memorial Stadium). The biggest problem fans are usually visiting fans who think they need to walk into Citizens Bank (or any other Philly venue) and upstage the "obnoxious" Philly fans. Usually the locals laugh at them and just move along.

Philly fans love their athletes. The town is still lamenting the loss of Wayne Simmons (not exactly a household name). If you come here and play hard and show a little passion, you will be handed the keys to the city. I grew up in Maryland and I am a Baltimore fan first, but I still think it's a travesty how Philly is portrayed as such a terrible place. I've spent time in Cleveland...now THAT is a lousy place.

2 hours ago, Rich Mac said:

I happen to live in the North Philly burbs. In fact, I live very close to where Jim Thome lived when he played for the Phillies. It's absolutely beautiful up here and incredibly underrated.

As for Philly fans...the national media has it blown completely out of proportion. The fans up here are passionate, but not nearly as crude as other places I've been (including some trips to Camden Yards and Memorial Stadium). The biggest problem fans are usually visiting fans who think they need to walk into Citizens Bank (or any other Philly venue) and upstage the "obnoxious" Philly fans. Usually the locals laugh at them and just move along.

Philly fans love their athletes. The town is still lamenting the loss of Wayne Simmons (not exactly a household name). If you come here and play hard and show a little passion, you will be handed the keys to the city. I grew up in Maryland and I am a Baltimore fan first, but I still think it's a travesty how Philly is portrayed as such a terrible place. I've spent time in Cleveland...now THAT is a lousy place.

I went to Philly to watch the O’s vs Phillies sometime in the mid 2000s during the Phillies run of good teams. It was a small group of us and we were quiet. The Orioles had a wild hair going that series and won it somehow. Every time the Orioles did anything good, we were verbally harassed and had food, drinks, and trash thrown at us by Phillie fans. 

I’ve been to visiting stadiums to watch the O’s in Boston (when the O’s were good and the Sox sucked), Toronto, Tampa, New York, Arizona, Washington,  and San Diego. Philly was the only place I’ve ever experienced any real problems. They earned their reputation and then some that series.

I am sure he has been verbally abused, cussed at, thrown things at, spat at, all kinds of hateful things said about him, and his family, just because he plays for the Nationals.  What do you think the Phillie fans were nice to him for those years?  No Way.  He remembers all of it.  Probably does NOT want to go to Philly if I had to guess.

20 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I went to Philly to watch the O’s vs Phillies sometime in the mid 2000s during the Phillies run of good teams. It was a small group of us and we were quiet. The Orioles had a wild hair going that series and won it somehow. Every time the Orioles did anything good, we were verbally harassed and had food, drinks, and trash thrown at us by Phillie fans. 

I’ve been to visiting stadiums to watch the O’s in Boston (when the O’s were good and the Sox sucked), Toronto, Tampa, New York, Arizona, Washington,  and San Diego. Philly was the only place I’ve ever experienced any real problems. They earned their reputation and then some that series.

I was in Philly on a project in '93 when they lost the World Series and happened to be out on the town that night.  Very, very scary.  And as far as I'm concerned, the stadium they played in during that time made Tropicana look like the Taj Mahal.  That being said, Dodger Stadium around 2010-2011 was worse from the standpoint of bad vibes and general ugliness.  So much so that I stopped taking my family there.  Sometimes I don't get it.

13 hours ago, weams said:

Philip's

Ingredients: Whey, Milk, Canola Oil, Maltodextrin, Milk Protein Concentrate, Sodium Phosphate, Contains Less Than 2% Of Modified Food Starch, Salt, Lactic Acid, Whey Protein Concentrate, Mustard Flour, Worcestershire Sauce (Vinegar, Molasses, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Caramel Color, Garlic Powder, Sugar, Spices (Contains Celery), Tamarind, Natural Flavor), Sodium Alginate, Sorbic Acid As A Preservative, Color Added, Cheese Culture, Enzymes, Natural Flavor[3]

Note Cheese whiz has no actual cheese.  Why anyone would subject their body to such stuff when real cheese is plentiful and actually tastes a whole lot better. 

9 hours ago, AceKing said:

I am sure he has been verbally abused, cussed at, thrown things at, spat at, all kinds of hateful things said about him, and his family, just because he plays for the Nationals.  What do you think the Phillie fans were nice to him for those years?  No Way.  He remembers all of it.  Probably does NOT want to go to Philly if I had to guess.

But, either the Dodgers or Giants have had fans kill other fans in the parking lot. Not sure Philly has gone that bad. They have beat up fans before, which alone is enough to keep me away from their parks. I dont feel unsafe at OPACY, in spite of the haters claim.

Archived