Harper to Phillies

weams

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Frobby said:

It’s working out OK in the end for the guys at the top of the food chain.    Not so well for the 30+ middle class guys.    But maybe they were overdue for a course correction.   

I don't care who among the players gets paid specifically, but the system is definitely still broken if the average salary has decreased while profits have increased. Hopefully with the next CBA we will see increased minimum salaries, prevention of service time manipulation and hopefully even a guaranteed percentage split between owners and players

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I don't care who among the players gets paid specifically, but the system is definitely still broken if the average salary has decreased while profits have increased. Hopefully with the next CBA we will see increased minimum salaries, prevention of service time manipulation and hopefully even a guaranteed percentage split between owners and players

Millionaires vs. billionaires, I don't really care.  Not to de-rail the thread on Bryce's glory day but if owners are realizing that they don't need to sign an Adam Jones type to a 3/45 type deal, so be it.  

13 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

From 2017 to 2018 wages were stagnant, the fact that it looks like a decrease was due to players forfeiting salary.  (at least that is what I read)

If wages are stagnant or decrease over a short period of time that, to me, isn't an indication of a broken system.  The players have a chance to renegotiate in the near future.

21 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

It helps them luxury tax wise too. A 10/$330M deal wouldn't have shocked me, so a 13/$330M is a little better.

The Yankees Hicks deal hit me this way too.  I don't think they really expect him to be their CF in the last couple years there, but 7/70 way better than 5/70 both for cap and time value of money.

Farhan Zaidi prevailed over ownership and can now turn his attention to Adam Jones!

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

From 2017 to 2018 wages were stagnant, the fact that it looks like a decrease was due to players forfeiting salary.  (at least that is what I read)

If wages are stagnant or decrease over a short period of time that, to me, isn't an indication of a broken system.  The players have a chance to renegotiate in the near future.

If wages are stagnant or decrease at a time when profits are increasing, it is absolutely an indication of a broken system. The players probably didn't expect to need to negotiate to change that because it had never happened before.

6 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

Feel bad for Nats fans, getting to see him 19 times a season.

So glad Manny signed as far away as possible.

The Nats didn't need him as much as the Phillies do, at least currently. Hopefully the fans don't boo him too much for getting what he could.

31 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Uh, average salaries are still down year over year at a time when profits are growing. The system ain't fixed.

Where do people go for reliable numbers for baseball profits. Its my understanding that teams do not file a 10-K with the SEC.

Who can say that profits are growing? 

Archived