Harper to Phillies

weams

Just now, MurphDogg said:

If wages are stagnant or decrease at a time when profits are increasing, it is absolutely an indication of a broken system. The players probably didn't expect to need to negotiate to change that because it had never happened before.

It's been two years.

Two.

I think part of the issue is that players and agents haven't adapted to the changes that are taking place.  That doesn't prove the system is "broken".

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

Where do people go for reliable numbers for baseball profits. Its my understanding that teams do not file a 10-K with the SEC.

Who can say that profits are growing? 

https://www.ajc.com/sports/braves-percent-revenue-increase-called-astounding/m52KDKdL5qU80CHQxRYhjI/

Franchise values have only ever gone up.

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

Where do people go for reliable numbers for baseball profits. Its my understanding that teams do not file a 10-K with the SEC.

Who can say that profits are growing? 

MBLAM sale, tv contracts, attendance.  I think they have a pretty good grip on what the incoming money is.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It's been two years.

Two.

I think part of the issue is that players and agents haven't adapted to the changes that are taking place.  That doesn't prove the system is "broken".

I don't necessarily think that owners are acting irrationally by not signing players like Adam Jones to 3/$45M deals as they may have done in the past.  That isn't the part that is broken. But the issue that more money is staying with management and less to labor suggests that labor negotiations will be highly contentious.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or it was really important to Harper.

Yeah, maybe.    The truth is, Stanton’s is still the better deal because (1) the $325 mm covers two pre-free agency seasons where he would have made far less than a full FA salary, and (2) he has an opt out after the 2020 season.    That said, the way the deal was backloaded, I seriously doubt he’s opting out.   The remainder on his contract at that point will be 7/$208 mm plus a $25 mm option that carries a $10 mm buyout.

15 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I don't necessarily think that owners are acting irrationally by not signing players like Adam Jones to 3/$45M deals as they may have done in the past.  That isn't the part that is broken. But the issue that more money is staying with management and less to labor suggests that labor negotiations will be highly contentious.

I don't believe the system is broken at all. I think it's changing based on advancing assessments of player value. I don't blame owners at all. They're not looking to dump money into depreciating assets anymore. 

With that said, I do expect that labor negotiations will be highly contentious. Owners are unlikely to sign onto a system under the old model, and players haven't historically tried to advance more money to younger players. In the end, they'll have to figure out a mutually acceptable formula that gets players to x% of the revenue. That part might be harder than deciding what x% is in this case.

Archived