Harper to Phillies

weams

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bets on Harper vs. Soto over the next six years?     Give me Soto any day.    And he’ll be making peanuts.   

I'd lean Soto, but if you take the money out of the equation, I don't think it's a lock.  We know Bryce can put up a 10 win season.  Soto's historic rookie "only" produced a 3 win season (114 games).

Nats made the right move by moving on from Harper, but they'll need to lock up Rendon.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The players association negotiating a bad deal is not proof of a broken system.

The deal they negotiated was based on the assumptions that management would continue overpaying veteran players as they had always done. Now that they stopped doing so, the terms of the negotiation will need to shift as I (and Lookinup above) have noted. As I said, I'm not blaming the owners for acting more rationally than they used to, and I agree that the Union negotiated a bad deal in the last round especially allowing a luxury tax to act as a de facto salary cap.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

The deal they negotiated was based on the assumptions that management would continue overpaying veteran players as they had always done. Now that they stopped doing so, the terms of the negotiation will need to shift as I (and Lookinup above) have noted. As I said, I'm not blaming the owners for acting more rationally than they used to, and I agree that the Union negotiated a bad deal in the last round especially allowing a luxury tax to act as a de facto salary cap.

In fairness, it did seem like you were assigning blame. I think the owners are just getting smarter. It's time for a new deal, and that could get contentious, but the system is working more efficiently now than it was before. That's not a bad thing. 

14 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I'd lean Soto, but if you take the money out of the equation, I don't think it's a lock.  We know Bryce has put up a 10 win season.  Soto's historic rookie "only" produced a 3 win season (114 games).

Nats made the right move by moving on from Harper, but they'll need to lock up Rendon.

Fixed that for you.    Just because Harper once put up a 10 win season doesn’t mean he has it in him to do it again.   I agree it’s not a lock that Soto will do better, but I like his chances.   

4 minutes ago, weams said:

So Manny got the better deal. Many here thought that might be the case. 

Well 335m is better than 300m even if there's three more years to Harpers deal. The question becomes how much earning power will Manny have in ten years when his deal expires. I dont think Harpers is worse and it might be better. 

12 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

He wont  last the 13 without becoming an albatross. Bad contract.

Agree. The last 4-5 years of that contract will possibly be a sunk cost with Harper not playing everyday. Boras did well getting the extra three years. It will be interesting to see how both contracts play out.

I cannot fahtom why any team would give Harper this deal. His last few years haven't even been that great? His batting WAR has 10 in 2015 but the last 3 years has been 1.5, 4.7, and 1.3. How is that worth the best contract in history? 

For the record, I wouldn't have signed neither Haprer nor Machado. I will take 3 $10mil/year players over one $30 million.

Archived