Harper to Phillies

weams

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Well 335m is better than 300m even if there's three more years to Harpers deal. The question becomes how much earning power will Manny have in ten years when his deal expires. I dont think Harpers is worse and it might be better. 

There's a time value of money aspect to it as Manny will be making $4M than Bryce in years 2-10.

8 minutes ago, pwhite said:

I cannot fahtom why any team would give Harper this deal. His last few years haven't even been that great? His batting WAR has 10 in 2015 but the last 3 years has been 1.5, 4.7, and 1.3. How is that worth the best contract in history? 

For the record, I wouldn't have signed neither Haprer nor Machado. I will take 3 $10mil/year players over one $30 million.

They're paying for his youth and upside. Like him or not Harper's ceiling is an elite player. The number of years are a bit of a surprise, but I really don't understand knocking them. The only argument against going after Harper is that they should have made a run at Trout (next year) instead. 

31 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

They're paying for his youth and upside. Like him or not Harper's ceiling is an elite player. The number of years are a bit of a surprise, but I really don't understand knocking them. The only argument against going after Harper is that they should have made a run at Trout (next year) instead. 

I don't think Trout makes it to the market.

Archived