Harper to Phillies

weams

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

What do you think of that deal?  I don't think it's a good one for Philly.  For a team willing to spend "stupid money", I think they are blowing it.

I’m not sure. They being the Phillies gave up a lot for him. Granted he’s one of the top catchers in the game still young and under team control for a few years relatively cheap. Time will only tell who benefits the most from this deal. I imagine with the Phillies looking to win this year it helps them and doesn’t cost them a lot finically. That deal however to me seems to be something Mcphail would do rather than sign a guy to a huge long term deal. Has he ever signed a player while with any club to a larger long term deal including while he has been with the Phillies? I understand ownership might be pushing him to do it but it just doesn’t seem to be his Mo and if not for ownership is it a move Mcphail makes?

6 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

Once again, Heyman plays the shill.  Fangraphs makes more sense...

Scott Boras wouldn’t want the Phillies to think they have the high bid. The Phillies don’t want to bid against themselves, so Boras would want to turn up the heat. It is presumably not a coincidence that so many rumors are floating around these days, trying to jolt the market.

But if the Nationals are out — and the Nationals seem very possibly out — I don’t know who’s there to realistically push the Phillies. The market simply isn’t strong. Which would put Boras in an uncomfortable position, looking at less guaranteed money than what Lozano got for Machado. At that point, Boras might prefer a record average salary over a record total commitment. Whether even that would be possible, I don’t know. But Boras right now is in a tough spot. If the Nationals don’t come back around to save him, it feels like he’s going to get a blow to his ego.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The White Sox don't require you to look like you're going to a glamor photo shoot.

imgres-3.jpeg

Hell, maybe he had to clean up to attend his parents 50th or something, or maybe he was just spoofing the media junkies.

I dont see Harper going to the Yankees, of course, Ive been wrong before.

Archived