Harper to Phillies

weams

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I just want Harper to the Phillies to happen because Philadelphia sports talk radio will be an endless source of entertainment if Harper is hitting .245 at the all star break with 14 homeruns. 

I actually hope he resigns w/ the Nats or goes to the Yankees.  I think it's going to end up being a terrible deal for whichever team sings him and since the O's won't be competitive for a few years while Harper is likely producing, I'd rather it be one of those teams that is saddled with albatross of a deal.

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Thought it'd be done by now.  

Sweater Vest Andy knows not to bid against himself.    You'd think that Boras would like to have an announcement today, to grab away some of the spotlight when Machado will be having his introductory press conference in San Diego.  More likely, he wants all the attention on his client next week.

4 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Sweater Vest Andy knows not to bid against himself.    You'd think that Boras would like to have an announcement today, to grab away some of the spotlight when Machado will be having his introductory press conference in San Diego.  More likely, he wants all the attention on his client next week.

There are rumors that Manny was valued higher. 

7 minutes ago, weams said:

We do know that they weren't giving Manny $300M.  My assumption is that Boras can't get today what the Lerners offered in October.  That's why there are rumors of saving face offers like a shorter deal with higher AAV.  I can see Boras crawling back to the Lerners saying, "Do away with the deferred money and we'll shake hands."   There was no deferred money in Manny's deal.

1 hour ago, Smilin' Joe Fission said:

I actually hope he resigns w/ the Nats or goes to the Yankees.  I think it's going to end up being a terrible deal for whichever team sings him and since the O's won't be competitive for a few years while Harper is likely producing, I'd rather it be one of those teams that is saddled with albatross of a deal.

I’d also settle for Harper on the back page of the New York Post with the headline “Fraud” as the lead.  Too bad Billy Martin isn’t around to tear into Harper if he puts up a subpar effort.  

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Just before Manny was announced, somebody claimed in twitter land, that both deals were dragging and it would be mid-march before we saw any movement.

Well, we know that report was false, but maybe it was half right?

Possibly.  I'd imagine that Harper isn't too broken up about missing part of ST.  

The Manny deal came out pretty fast, maybe it'll be the same for Harper.  It sounds like he's not totally sold on Philly though.  

The reports of the Padres maybe targeting him could be holding things up, too.  If the Padres are seeing if they can make it work for him AND Manny, I think Harper would want to listen.

These are all just guesses.  Who knows whats really going on.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Well, he should have been.  Plays a premium position in SS or 3B and has accumulated more WAR thus far.  Also has shown to be more durable.  Yes, I know, knees, but he hasn't been hurt in the past 4+ years or so.  Can't say the same about Harper.

54 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

We do know that they weren't giving Manny $300M.  My assumption is that Boras can't get today what the Lerners offered in October.  That's why there are rumors of saving face offers like a shorter deal with higher AAV.  I can see Boras crawling back to the Lerners saying, "Do away with the deferred money and we'll shake hands."   There was no deferred money in Manny's deal.

If so, this is a big fail by Boras.  I can see this being true.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

At the same time, I don't believe this.  It's not like the Nats went out and found a Harper replacement, thus shutting the doors on his return.  I think if Boras comes back asking for the same deal, the Nats make it more team friendly (team opt out after year 4 or 5, no no-trade clauses, etc).

Let's not forget that Boras and Lerner have a good relationship with Boras sending a lot of FAs there.  It hasn't all been good as Wieters was viewed as a bust...but I just don't believe he hasn't heard from Boras in months.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, he should have been.  Plays a premium position in SS or 3B and has accumulated more WAR thus far.  Also has shown to be more durable.  Yes, I know, knees, but he hasn't been hurt in the past 4+ years or so.  Can't say the same about Harper.

If so, this is a big fail by Boras.  I can see this being true.

At the same time, I don't believe this.  It's not like the Nats went out and found a Harper replacement, thus shutting the doors on his return.  I think if Boras comes back asking for the same deal, the Nats make it more team friendly (team opt out after year 4 or 5, no no-trade clauses, etc).

Let's not forget that Boras and Lerner have a good relationship with Boras sending a lot of FAs there.  It hasn't all been good as Wieters was viewed as a bust...but I just don't believe he hasn't heard from Boras in months.

I also interpret this as a negotiating ploy as well.  

Archived